Regional Boards > Canada

Manitoba freeways?

<< < (2/5) > >>

texaskdog:
What's with the stupid expressway around Winterpeg?  Having visited there it is of little use to anyone who lives there, or travels in from any which way unless youre trying to avoid it (even then it is way far out).  Not to mention some of the worst streets in the world.

InterstateNG:
It's a bypass of Winnipeg.

mp_quadrillion:
I visited the Prairies last summer for about a week.

The TCH (TCH-1) through urban Winnipeg surprised me. The level of urbanisation and traffic seemed to rival parts of metro New York, and often the right-of-way was too narrow for comfort. Maybe it was just the incredible contrast from the quietness of everywhere else in the province!

The bypass (TCH-101TCH-100/MB-101 rte peripherique) is being upgraded in several spots to a freeway. It appears, as many have stated, too far out to be very useful to locals. Development just doesn't happen the way in Canada as it does in the United States. However, I wouldn't wish the city route on any trucker hauling turnpike doubles (nearly 40m total length) across the province.

Also: Portage (to the west of Winnipeg) appears to be upgrading its bypass; it may be a freeway or mostly-freeway sometime soon.

texaskdog:

--- Quote from: mp_quadrillion on August 28, 2012, 12:58:14 PM ---I visited the Prairies last summer for about a week.

The TCH (TCH-1) through urban Winnipeg surprised me. The level of urbanisation and traffic seemed to rival parts of metro New York, and often the right-of-way was too narrow for comfort. Maybe it was just the incredible contrast from the quietness of everywhere else in the province!

The bypass (TCH-101) is being upgraded in several spots to a freeway. It appears, as many have stated, too far out to be very useful to locals. Development just doesn't happen the way in Canada as it does in the United States. However, I wouldn't wish the city route on any trucker hauling turnpike doubles (nearly 40m total length) across the province.

Also: Portage (to the west of Winnipeg) appears to be upgrading its bypass; it may be a freeway or mostly-freeway sometime soon.

--- End quote ---

Sadly though it goes so far around it doesn't appear useful to anyone.  I'm not saying plop a freeway into downtown but it doesn't do much for easing traffic.

Road Hog:
Looks like the 101 was built for the benefit of thru traffic, which is surprising considering Winnipeg is a destination city as the provincial capital and holds more than half of Manitoba's population. There cannot be that much cross-continent traffic on TCH-1; otherwise it would be freeway all the way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version