Regional Boards > Mid-South

6 Laning I-40

<< < (2/23) > >>

Grzrd:

--- Quote from: okroads on April 25, 2012, 03:41:26 PM ---I noticed this construction when I was traveling through this part of Arkansas last Thursday. Now if AHTD can only widen I-40 between Little Rock & Memphis...

--- End quote ---

As recently discussed in this General Highway Talk thread, Arkansas is going through the process of hiring a consultant to study the feasibility of tolling I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis.  Here is a March 22 TV video report about it.  I wonder if there is any possibility of having the two new "third lanes" be built as HOT lanes?  My understanding is that this is one of the most heavily travelled corridors in the country. My instincts say that notion would not fly, but I suppose the consultant will examine that possibility, too.

M86:

--- Quote from: US71 on April 25, 2012, 12:21:14 PM ---It was announced yesterday that AHTD is widening I-40 to 6 lanes along an 23 mile stretch beginning at US 65 Conway and proceeding east.  This project has been on-going since at least early March, so I don't know why it took the media so long to report this Or, more precisely: why AHTD waited so long to say something.

Up to now, it has mostly been median work, but I noticed this past weekend that construction has begun on a new bridge over US 64.

--- End quote ---

This is needed, I won't deny that.  And AHTD has a horrible website, period.   But... Why can't I-540 between Fayetteville and Bentonville/Rogers with the Bella Vista bypass receive priority?  That segment is so ridden with accidents, it's sad!  Again, I would love to look at the accident statistics for both roadways.

rte66man:
I noticed that many of the overpasses and bridges between Conway and Little Rock have already been widened.  How long is the project scheduled to take?

Also, does the White River bridge rebuild include additional lanes?  Are they going to fix the roadbed both east and west of the bridge?

rte66man

US71:

--- Quote from: rte66man on May 01, 2012, 01:42:24 PM ---I noticed that many of the overpasses and bridges between Conway and Little Rock have already been widened.  How long is the project scheduled to take?

--- End quote ---
The first 8 miles from US 65 should be complete in 2014. The rest of it is "whenever the money is available"

--- Quote ---Also, does the White River bridge rebuild include additional lanes?  Are they going to fix the roadbed both east and west of the bridge?

--- End quote ---

I've not heard if there will be extra lanes or not. I'm assuming the roadbed will be improved, but I've not looked at the construction very closely.

msunat97:
I-40 Update between Conway & Little Rock...

The new bridge over 64 in Conway has new beams across the Westbound side.  They should be laying the road deck soon.  Traffic should be able to detour on it within a few months.
There are 2 water bridges between mile markers 130 & 132.  Both of them have the supports in place & most if not all of the decking completed.  One of the bridges has a paved approach with the base of the concrete divider.  They started adding the upright part of the concrete divider around mile marker 130 yesterday.

Per the AHTD info after our new tax passed last year, we should see more construction start on the rest of the widening in July.  There are survey markers along I-40 from the end of the construction until you reach the I-430 interchange.  With all the bridges expanded for 3 lanes, the actual road construction should proceed quickly...let's hope anyway since I drive it every day.

Scheduled completion is 2017-2018.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version