News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Closest stretches of road you have NOT clinched

Started by NWI_Irish96, September 28, 2016, 01:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

Interstate:I-40  100 miles (I have only been as far west as I-25 on it.)
US Mainline: US-17 I can walk to it in 5 minutes (I do have all of it in NC and SC, but lack substantial portions in VA,GA and FL)
State Highway: NC-43/NC-55 (both pretty much 5 miles from my house, I have only used them locally)

Because I am a 46 year old moron I need to modify this. The closest Interstate to me that I have not clinched is I-95 at 79 miles. I have been from the southern terminus in Miami to the Throgs Neck Bridge exit in NYC, never any farther than that. Not sure what I was thinking when I first answered  :pan:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

coatimundi

Interstate: 5
Only Salem to Ashland remaining. Hopefully I'll get up to Oregon soon. 680 may actually be closer, and I've never been on the Benicia-Martinez Bridge.

US: 50
101 is the only one remotely close to me, but I've clinched that. Historically, the closest is either 40 or 99, both of which I haven't clinched.

State: either 25 or 35
I really should get on both, because they're both very scenic. Except for 1, most of the state routes near me are pretty short and were just clinched through random drives on errands.

Darkchylde

Interstate: I-435 (Need the segment between I-70 in Kansas and I-29 near the airport)
US Highway: US 50 (Literally down the block, but need a lot of segments on both ends)
State: I guess K-10, even though it's in the next state over? It's actually closer than the closest Missouri highway I haven't clinched, which would be MO 9.

Charles2

I live in the Birmingham area.  These are my unclinched routes within Alabama for me:

U.S. Routes: 29, 43, 45, 82, 84, 90, 98, 278, 331, 431
Interstate Route: 10

hbelkins

Not even going to try to guess a Kentucky state route, because there are so many, and lots of them dead-end.

As for US, my best guess would be US 22 heading east and US 42 heading north out of Cincinnati.

Interstate? The new I-69 in southwest Indiana.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jwolfer

For me in SW suburbs of Jacksonville FL closest non-clinched would be:

I -16 between Dublin,GA and i95 ~120 miles

US 82 between Waycross, GA and I-95 ~75 miles

SR 120(NE 8th Ave if I recall) in Gainesville FL ~40 miles

corco

I've clinched Idaho already, so"

Interstate: I-80 from Winnemucca, NV to Elko, NV (~250 miles away)
U.S. Route: the branch of US-30 through Huntington, OR off I-84 (84 miles away)
State Highway: Oregon Route 414 (160 miles away)

When I moved from Helena, Montana back in June, it was a bleaker picture, having clinched the entire state highway systems in Idaho, Washington, Montana, and Wyoming. At that point, it was:

Interstate: I-80 west of Salt Lake (568 miles away)
U.S. Route: US 191 south of the Wyoming line (517 miles away)
State Route: Utah SR 23 (394 miles away)

That's part of why I had to move!

hotdogPi

Interstate: I-293 north of Exit 1
US route: US 1 near MA 97 (I haven't been on US 1 between Danvers and Newburyport, and this section is closest to me)
State route: MA 28 north of MA 110, just a few miles away
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Interstate: The spur routes of I-895 near Baltimore (missing a smidgen of each) or the stub end of I-70 inside the Baltimore Beltway (whether the latter is or will be decommissioned is irrelevant to me because I count it as part of I-70 either way). In terms of a full Interstate not travelled at all, I-795 in Maryland.

US route: US-1 between Laurel and Baltimore

State route: About three miles of MD-414 inside the Capital Beltway.

Yes, I live in Virginia, but since my house is about six miles from the Maryland state line on the Wilson Bridge (intentionally ignoring that sliver of DC), many segments in Maryland are closer than many segments in Virginia. BTW, for purposes of the "state route" issue I interpret the question as referring to primary routes for Virginia, because otherwise it'd be both trivial and too difficult to figure out because I'm not about to try to figure out which streets are VDOT System streets and which are HOA-owned in surrounding neighborhoods.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pianocello

From Valpo:

Interstate: I'm missing a mile of I-57 in the far southern suburbs that I bypassed due to traffic, 35 miles away.
US Highway: US 20 around Michigan City, 17 miles away.
State Highway: SR 55 in Merrillville, 16 miles away.

From Davenport:

I-39 north of Mendota, IL, 80 miles away.
US 30 east of Morrison, IL, 37 miles away (or US 52 north of Sabula, IA, 40 miles away. Not paying too much attention to the accuracy of my distances)
State: There's a couple that are around 25 miles away: IL 92 east of the IL 82 intersection, IL 81 at US 150, and IA 22 west of Muscatine.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

DandyDan

From here in Papillion, NE
Interstate: The closest I am certain about is I-80 west of Kearney, NE.  My brother lives there and I have thus far resisted the temptation to get a Rocky Mountain high.  I am not sure about whether I have all of I-229 in St. Joseph, MO.  I might have in one of my earliest trips to Kansas City, but that was before I really kept track of things.  I do not have all of I-435 or I-635 in KC.
US Highway: US 34 going west from NE 79 in the far NW corner of Lincoln, NE
State highway: In Nebraska, I have not been on NE 128 between NE 50 and NE 67.  The closest spur route I have missed is the one in Saunders County that goes to Malmo.  In Iowa, I have almost completely missed IA 173 and IA 48 (only the E-W section in Shenandoah)

EDIT (10-16) There's another Iowa highway roughly as close as IA 173 and IA 48 I have missed almost completely, which is IA 44.  The closest segment I don't have is the segment between IA 191 and US 59.  I have a small part of it in Harlan, and then none of the rest going eastbound to IA 141.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on September 28, 2016, 06:33:28 PM
Probably VT 243 for me...
What about Interstate & US routes?  The OP was asking for all three even if the nearest non-clinched highway was over 100 miles (as an example) away.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

I'll add more categories:

Closest stretch of Interstate in either direction: Southbound lanes of I-95 near Exit 54 in MA, about 15 miles away (I have been on this segment northbound only)

Closest exit: Exit 3, Lowell Connector, about 12 miles away

Closest exit that I didn't turn around immediately afterwards: Exit 52, I-495 (due to detour, not missed exit)

Closest freeway of any type: US 1 in Newburyport (freeway for only 1 mile), about 15 miles away; if that doesn't count, MA 128 (section that is not I-95) east of Exit 18, about 25 miles away

Closest town not set foot in: Boxford, MA (closest point about 1 mile away as the crow flies; I have been through it, but never set foot)

Closest town never in at all: Pelham, NH, about 5 miles away

Closest 2di (closest 3di was mentioned in my first post here): I-95 (MA) south of Exit 20, about 30 miles away

Closest numbered state border crossing: NH 121A, about 10 miles away (there is no MA 121A), however, I have been really close to it

Closest year-round public transportation: Bus 01 on MVRTA, 0.6 miles away (I have been on a closer section)

Closest Interstate I have traveled none of: I-190

Closest US route I have traveled none of: US 1A in Maine closest to New Hampshire border

Closes state route I have traveled none of: NH 128 (I have traveled none of MA 108, but I consider MA/NH 108 one route)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kurumi

Not clinched as in not traveled entire length: I-80, US 101, CA 238

Not clinched as in not traveled any of: I-105 Eugene (569 mi); US 199 (401 mi); CA 219 (90 mi)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bzakharin

Although I'm not 100% sure, I believe I've never traveled I-295 between exits 34 and 36 due to the fact that I use the former to go south and the latter to go north. If this is true, it's less than 2.5 miles away. If you exclude that, I've never been on most of the NJ section of I-676, 7 miles away.
Closest 2di segment: I-76 PA Turnpike, 29 miles away
Closest Interstate I've traveled none of, at least as a driver, is I-176, 56 miles away
Closest entire 2di: I-81, 110 miles away
Closest US route segment: US 130 south of I-76, 7 miles away
Closest 2dus segment: US 30 south of NJ 73, 12 miles away
Closest US route: US 301, 52 miles away
Closest 2dus: US 15, 120 miles away
Closest state route segment: NJ 41 north of Lenola Road, 2.5 miles away
Closest state route: If PA 73 can be considered separate from NJ 73, then 9 miles away, otherwise, PA 611, 10 miles away

SectorZ

For me

I-95, anything north of Bangor ME and south of Richmond VA
US 20, anything west of Albany NY save for small stretches in NY west of there

State routes are hard, I've ridden all of them in MA and most in NH, a lot on bicycle and car, so something in either southern Maine or northern CT or RI.

wphiii

I technically haven't clinched I-79 because I've only ever gotten off at the very last off-ramp onto WB PA 5/12th St and haven't driven the last couple hundred feet onto Bayfront Pkwy.

U.S. Route would be U.S. 19, which I'm nowhere near clinching the entirety of, but most confounding is the small portion that weaves through Dormont, PA, where it's split from Truck 19. I just haven't ever had reason to drive those particular roads, as the truck route is much more direct and navigationally useful.

State routes are trickier, probably the actual closest to my house is the stretch of PA 88 south of South Park until its terminus at PA 837.

doorknob60

Interstate: I-84: I can see it from my balcony! Like, 0.5 miles away or so. For driving myself, I need everything east of Boise (exit 57)! (as a passenger, from I-15 to Echo, UT)
US: US-30, see above, and beyond.
State: ID-69. About 2 miles away... Yeah, it's a very short route, I could leave my house and clinch it within 15 minutes, but haven't done so yet. On the bright side, my answer is not ID-55, which is closer to my house, but I've clinched that one.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bickendan

Interstate: I-82 (Ellensburg to US 395) or I-90 (Seattle to Ritzville)
US highway: US 197, south of US 30
State highway: WA 4

ChiMilNet

Staying with Interstates, the five closest... based on my very informal estimation...
- I-94 Dan Ryan Expressway/Bishop Ford Freeway (formerly Calumet Expressway) South of where the Skyway splits until the Southland Interchange - ~35 miles
- I-57 between I-80 and I-94 (former Dan Ryan West Leg) - ~40 miles
- I-94 between Downtown Milwaukee and Madison, WI - ~80 miles
- I-80 short stretch between I-74/280 interchange and I-88 interchange near the Quad Cities - ~100 miles
- I-74 between I-280 and I-80 in Quad Cities - ~110 miles

Thing 342

I'm going ATCF for distances:
Interstate: I-77 between US-421 and I-85 in NC.
US Highway: The small bit of US-219 in VA near Narrows.
VA Route: VA-177 between Radford and I-81.

SSOWorld

From Northern WI (Rhinelander, Wausau, Stevens Point)
*M-69 in the U.P. as I have finished all of the WIS routes (closest unfinished one is WIS-95 south of Niellsville)
*A US Route is hard to find and US-169 in MN (West of I-35) wins (WIS and the UP are finished wrt U.S. routes)
*With all the Interstates in WI, MN and IA done, the closest is I-96 in MI.  Requiring a ferry to get to it obviously.

From SW Wisconsin/NE Iowa (Platteville and Dubuque)
* IA 13 SW of Dubuque (The closest WIS route is WIS 95 (coincidence?)
* US 30 around Cedar Rapids
* Again with IA and WI finished for Interstates, and MO and IL mostly done - I-72 east of Springfield is the closest (even still far away)

From Santa Clarita, CA - which because of only half of a year duration has a closer range
* State route 150 N or Santa Barbara.
* US 395 out of Victorville off the 15.
* I-5 north of ... wait for it... I-505, though I-15 north of I-70 in UT comes close (AZ being done pushes the east way back)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jp the roadgeek

Closest stretch of Interstate in either direction: Northbound I-684 from Exit 9E to the northern terminus  (about 45 miles away; only been southbound)

Closest exit: CT 8 Exit 30 (about 13 miles away)

Closest freeway of any type: Same I-684 segment.

Closest town not set foot in: Bethany, CT (nearest point about 12 miles away)

Closest town never in at all: Warren, CT (about 41 miles away)

Closest 2di stretch: I-87 Exits 17-19 (about 80 miles away)

Closest 2di never on at all:  Temporarily, the current eastern I-86 (200 miles away, but I have driven future I-86 from NY 211 to the Thruway, and I traveled the old I-86 that is now I-84 in CT and MA as a kid when it was signed as such).  Future: I-99 (293 miles to the NY portion, 305 miles to the PA portion)

Closest 3di stretch: I-684 from SR 984J to I-287 (official) (75 miles away) , I-190 in MA north of Exit 4 (longer stretch, about 87 miles away)

Closest 3di never on at all: I-895 (NY)  (about 91 miles away)

Closest numbered state border crossing: CT/MA 186 (about 43 miles away)

Closest US route I have traveled none of: US 6A in RI (about 85 miles) .

Closes state route I have traveled none of: CT 196 (about 25 miles away)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: doorknob60 on September 29, 2016, 04:09:12 PM
Interstate: I-84: I can see it from my balcony! Like, 0.5 miles away or so. For driving myself, I need everything east of Boise (exit 57)! (as a passenger, from I-15 to Echo, UT)

You haven't been on that stretch of I-84 that's a 1/2 mile from your balcony?  The original question was how far away the unclinched part was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.