News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Five highways you DON’T want to drive

Started by thspfc, July 05, 2021, 05:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 06, 2021, 08:04:05 AM
If you hit it off peak. It's usually moving but quite thick. During peak times, it's nothing but stop and go.

I-295 around Richmond is a better ride. 8 lanes and is always moving 80+ mph, even during the busiest of weekends.
You're absolutely right. South of that though, the only time I've really faced any traffic jams are during construction and maintenance... except in Jacksonville.

Flint1979

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 06, 2021, 12:18:54 AM
US 1...in any state. Mad props to those who've clinched it through Connecticut, because I can't imagine slogging through 120 miles of sprawl. I-95 was painful enough.
I-79 north of Pittsburgh; I have little reason to head up to Erie. Even if I did, why would I take the least scenic route there?
I-81 in any state. Although I haven't been south of I-64 or north of Syracuse, my idea of fun does not involve large trucks.
I-78 in New Jersey. Why do Pennsylvania drivers instantly smash the gas the second they're in Jersey? They'll only reach the traffic jams in New York that much quicker. I-80 gets a pass because there's more lanes and thus less opportunities to observe the conservation of momentum in real time.
Interboro / JRP in New York. Why do expressways in NYC get slammed through cemeteries? Why would I want to drive a road that mostly traverses a cemetery? I've done it, and I've clinched it, and I never want to see it again.
The Interboro/Jackie Robinson Parkway isn't an expressway it's a parkway. And seriously is it really that big of a deal that it goes through a cemetary?

sprjus4

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 06, 2021, 09:27:57 AM
If you hit it off peak. It's usually moving but quite thick. During peak times, it's nothing but stop and go.

I-295 around Richmond is a better ride. 8 lanes and is always moving 80+ mph, even during the busiest of weekends.
You're absolutely right. South of that though, the only time I've really faced any traffic jams are during construction and maintenance... except in Jacksonville.
The segment in North Carolina and South Carolina (big emphasis on south of I-26) can be painful, especially during peak weekends.

jaehak

I'm sure there are countless miles of highway that I haven't been on that I wouldn't enjoy, but I can't say there's any that I definitely don't want to do.

Some routes that I would prefer to never drive again:
80 between Des Moines and Joliet
Indiana Highway 16
The Ohio Turnpike
Any non-coastal, non-urban road in Florida outside of the Everglades
The portions of the QL1A in Vietnam that I have driven

The deepest layer of highway hell:
5 Central Valley
70 Independence to Wentzville

SEWIGuy

I-41 between Green Bay and Milwaukee
I-65 between Chicago and Indianapolis
I-80 between Chicagoland and Des Moines
I-57 between Champaign and I-24
I-290 in Illinois

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 06, 2021, 05:02:21 PM

Nobody should ever want to drive this, at least not until they get it six laned all the way.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 06, 2021, 05:04:56 PM

Nobody should ever want to drive this, at least not until they get it six laned all the way.

My favorite alternate is US-421.  But I need to have the time obviously!

thspfc

I-41 is okay in my opinion. The segment between Fond du Lac and Appleton is really nice. Through the Green Bay area it's one of my favorite small city urban freeways.

Flint1979

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 06, 2021, 05:31:54 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 06, 2021, 05:04:56 PM

My favorite alternate is US-421.  But I need to have the time obviously!
Personally I like US-41 to US-52 to IN-47 to US-421 going Chicago to Indy.

Flint1979

Quote from: jaehak on July 06, 2021, 01:51:32 PM
Indiana Highway 16
I clinched that highway by mistake once when I was county clinching in Indiana. From what I remember it's a boring highway and the highlight of the highway is a landfill along the concurrency with IN-119.

achilles765

Quote from: CapeCodder on July 05, 2021, 10:23:23 PM
I-81 in VA: While the scenery is nice it's a very boring road.
US 67 in IL
MO 32

Yep. I remember when my friend and I used to drive from Baton Rouge to Woodstock Connecticut and we would have to drive Ih 81 from its southern terminus all the way to Scranton where we would switch to IH 84. That stretch though Virginia was the most boring part of the trip.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on July 06, 2021, 08:14:40 PM
I-41 is okay in my opinion. The segment between Fond du Lac and Appleton is really nice. Through the Green Bay area it's one of my favorite small city urban freeways.

Too much traffic until you get to De Pere.

Rothman

Quote from: achilles765 on July 06, 2021, 10:03:28 PM
US 67 in IL
MO 32

Yep. I remember when my friend and I used to drive from Baton Rouge to Woodstock Connecticut and we would have to drive Ih 81 from its southern terminus all the way to Scranton where we would switch to IH 84. That stretch though Virginia was the most boring part of the trip.
It does have some nice views of the mountains as you travel up the valley.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CapeCodder

Quote from: Rothman on July 07, 2021, 07:10:56 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on July 06, 2021, 10:03:28 PM
US 67 in IL
MO 32

It does have some nice views of the mountains as you travel up the valley.

I like the mountain that looms ahead of you as you come to the 84 interchange. What is the name of that mountain?

A few more:

NH 1A: If it were winter, I'd probably drive it. Summer time? forget it.
MO 21: This highway seems to be pretty dangerous south of the improved section. I've been on it as far south as Elephant Rocks SP.
IL 127: It seems like a boring highway.

GaryV

Any toll roads that gOUgE the consumers.   :pan:

US 41

I'm not too picky, but here's the main two for me.

1) Any highway that is cluttered with stop lights and/or tons of traffic.

2) Most rural interstates if there is a US or state highway alternative. As long as US or state Hwy isn't like example #1. I do enjoy driving through small towns and medium sized cities (<100K).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Revive 755

MO 32

Why this one?  The section from Park Hills to MO 21 has some nice views of the Ozarks.

Quote from: CapeCodder
MO 21: This highway seems to be pretty dangerous south of the improved section. I've been on it as far south as Elephant Rocks SP.

Also has some nice scenery near and south of Ironton.  Definitely could be a candidate for more passing lanes though.

D-Dey65

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 06, 2021, 09:45:49 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 06, 2021, 09:27:57 AM

The segment in North Carolina and South Carolina (big emphasis on south of I-26) can be painful, especially during peak weekends.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen (because I know it does). I'm just saying I've never had to deal with it. Maybe it's just the fact that I usually arrive at the Georgia-South Carolina border around late-morning or early afternoon, but I usually have a fairly smooth ride through the Carolinas.

sprjus4

^ You've lucked out then. I've had my fair share of congestion-free trips, but I've also had some pretty nightmare-ish ones as well. It's really just hit or miss and when you travel (week vs. weekend)

I've traveled I-95 on a peak weekend, and it was still bumper to bumper stop-and-go approaching midnight.

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 08, 2021, 10:17:03 AM
^ You've lucked out then. I've had my fair share of congestion-free trips, but I've also had some pretty nightmare-ish ones as well. It's really just hit or miss and when you travel (week vs. weekend)

I've traveled I-95 on a peak weekend, and it was still bumper to bumper stop-and-go approaching midnight.
So have I. Last time I went through there on I-95 it was a nightmare from Jacksonville to I-26. Then I-26 was a nightmare to Columbia. I did all of this just to bypass Atlanta and Cincinnati and ended up spending more time on the road I think.

CapeCodder

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 07, 2021, 10:22:57 PM
MO 32

Why this one?  The section from Park Hills to MO 21 has some nice views of the Ozarks.

Quote from: CapeCodder

Also has some nice scenery near and south of Ironton.  Definitely could be a candidate for more passing lanes though.

Ever been stuck behind an RV moving at old people speed? Take that and multiply that by 100.

LM117

I-40, I-440 in the Triangle metro in NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Also, I-85 between Hillsborough and Durham.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

keithvh

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 05, 2021, 07:14:39 PM
I want to drive everything, but in my efforts to clinch nearby states, not exactly looking forward to:

1. WY450
2. WY136
3. NM39
4. NM1
5. US83 in Kansas

Chris

I've happened to travel 2 of your more obscure ones.  WY450 is fine - I found the grasslands it crossed pretty in their own way, and the Rand McNally does donate it as a "scenic route."  It does however also pass a few coal plants, which are less pretty.

NM39 I have less good things to say about.  There's only 1 real climb on the highway, the rest of the road is flat, and all of Harding County gives off a bit of a weird vibe.

Jim

Thinking of roads I've driven, some pretty often.

1) most of I-95, but especially the Cross Bronx, perpetual construction area north of Philadelphia, and from Baltimore to Richmond.
2) I-70 across Missouri
3) I-90 through Chicago
4) I-10 through the Florida Panhandle
5) I-4
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

noelbotevera

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 06, 2021, 09:31:37 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 06, 2021, 12:18:54 AM
Interboro / JRP in New York. Why do expressways in NYC get slammed through cemeteries? Why would I want to drive a road that mostly traverses a cemetery? I've done it, and I've clinched it, and I never want to see it again.
The Interboro/Jackie Robinson Parkway isn't an expressway it's a parkway. And seriously is it really that big of a deal that it goes through a cemetary?
Cemeteries make for compressed roads (it's impossible to expand the JRP right now). Compressed roads means narrow lanes, and in the case of the JRP - very narrow lanes which are unpleasant. Also, a cemetery is the least scenic thing that a parkway should run through.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.