Previous topic - Next topic

Black concrete

Yes
6 (33.3%)
Nah, stick with white/gray.
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

tolbs17

I was thinking black concrete would be more visible on highways. Do you think they will be more visible and we can try to give them a shot? :D

silverback1065

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 10:24:30 PM
I was thinking black concrete would be more visible on highways. Do you think they will be more visible and we can try to give them a shot? :D
I don't even know how that would even work. Asphalt is black because the binder is made from oil. You'd have to dye concrete to make it black

tolbs17

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 22, 2021, 10:27:14 PM
I don't even know how that would even work. Asphalt is black because the binder is made from oil. You'd have to dye concrete to make it black
https://coolhunting.com/design/understanding-black-concrete/#:~:text=While%20rare%2C%20black%20concrete%20can,carbon%20black%20can%20be%20used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZD8Ay-mzkQ

kphoger

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 22, 2021, 10:27:14 PM
Asphalt is black because the binder is made from oil.

Asphalt is also a type of concrete.

So yes, we can use black concrete on freeways.  We do it all the time.

:-P
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

More visible in what way?  What is difficult to see on traditional concrete?

kphoger

It's a solution without a problem.

Hard-to-see lane lines have already been solved by either outlining in black or alternating with black.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 23, 2021, 10:29:26 AM

It's clearer to see the white lines.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 23, 2021, 12:24:44 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 10:33:52 AM
It's a solution without a problem.

Hard-to-see lane lines have already been solved by either outlining in black or alternating with black.

(GSV links added by me)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

renegade

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 23, 2021, 12:24:44 PM

That makes sense, but that's why most newer concrete highways also have black lines in between the white ones.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen the center yellow stripe outlined in black on a two-way PCC highway.
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 01:37:59 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen the center yellow stripe outlined in black on a two-way PCC highway.

Definitely rare, but here's a one-off example I came across several months ago: The recently-reconstructed US 17 bridge over the Savannah River backchannel.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

bwana39

I remember reading something several decades that said the concrete roads (plain concrete) in the north had better visibility than the asphalt roads in Texas and surrounding areas.

I guess the contrast for brand new marking would be better, but that is about the sole reason black might be better than white. 

The reason for the black driveway would be to reduce stains, or at least their visibility.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

tolbs17

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 23, 2021, 01:53:15 PM

Definitely rare, but here's a one-off example I came across several months ago: The recently-reconstructed US 17 bridge over the Savannah River backchannel.
Never seen those here in North Carolina, as the new bridges are just paved like this. They probably weren't done yet but it just makes it harder to see.

bwana39

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 23, 2021, 04:01:54 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 23, 2021, 01:53:15 PM

Never seen those here in North Carolina, as the new bridges are just paved like this. They probably weren't done yet but it just makes it harder to see.

In Texas, sometimes you obfuscate the old markings with black, then repaint new stripes over the black.

You know, cat eyes (directional reflectors) are even better regardless of the color of the roadway. I realize they are not really a great choice where snow plows run, but down here, it is a far better answer.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

tolbs17

Although I can't tell if that is better or the black line stripped in front of the white line but the solid yellow and white lines are not paved with the black ones. And to be honest, the Monroe Expressway looks nicer compared to the Triangle expressway in terms of looking at the bridges, and what not.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9851863,-80.4086462,3a,75y,295.57h,83.17t,1.07r/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLsR0BDgQxUm7xI4ZqXv4gQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

tolbs17

And here's an example of black concrete...  It's on a bridge though

SectorZ

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 24, 2021, 10:45:02 PM
And here's an example of black concrete...  It's on a bridge though

Am I missing the example?

Big John

^^ Without seeing the picture, it could be a thin overlay of different material.

jamess

I know many urban areas are looking at the opposite - black absorbs heat too much, while white helps reflect it away. Sp if youre in Phoenix, and its already 120, it can feel much hotter on the road due to that effect

tolbs17

Quote from: jamess on July 25, 2021, 06:47:27 PM
I know many urban areas are looking at the opposite - black absorbs heat too much, while white helps reflect it away. Sp if youre in Phoenix, and its already 120, it can feel much hotter on the road due to that effect
Black asphalt too?

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 06:53:14 PM
Black asphalt too?

Go to Arizona in the summer sometime, and stand barefoot on a black asphalt parking lot.  See how long you last.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 06:53:14 PM
Black asphalt too?

Go to Arizona in the summer sometime, and stand barefoot on a black asphalt parking lot.  See how long you last.
Damn... so black concrete will be worse!

kphoger

News flash:  black things get hot in the sunshine.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 03:04:47 PM
So that's why you guys like white concrete better.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 03:06:30 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 03:04:47 PM

So that's why you guys like white concrete better.

I've never driven on black concrete, so I can't say which I like better from that perspective.  We were just saying that specifically choosing something that makes pavement hotter than usual probably won't fly in a lot of places.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.