Highest address numbers on roads whose addresses continuously increase from zero

Started by KCRoadFan, October 18, 2021, 12:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

One thing I know from my ongoing cross-country Street View journey along US 20 is that on the east side of Cleveland, Ohio, the highway follows Euclid Avenue. That street starts on the east side of Public Square, which - along with Ontario Street extending north and south from the square - serves as the east-west divider for addresses in downtown Cleveland. Heading east from that zero point in Public Square, Euclid Avenue - and with it, its sequence of address numbers - continues through several suburbs and carries on well into Lake County, eventually reaching the 38000 range in Willoughby before switching to a different street name and address sequence in Mentor (despite that suburb being in the same county).

I'm pretty sure that has to be one of the highest such address numbers along a street that begins at the zero point in the local street grid and retains the same name and sequence of address numbers throughout its length. That made me wonder: throughout the country, what are some other contenders in that regard? I remember seeing somewhere - either on Google Maps or on that erstwhile CD-ROM program, Microsoft Streets & Trips - that east of Denver, the East Colfax Avenue street name carried on for quite a while, eventually reaching address numbers higher than 60000. Also, don't the addresses on Woodward Avenue in Detroit get up about 45000 or something like that?

(Just to be clear, when it comes to this post, the address numbers must be part of one continuous sequence, uninterrupted by suburbs or towns that have their own separate street grids. Imagine, if you will, a hypothetical city where the addresses on a major east-west street, heading east from the baseline and continuing through several inner-ring suburbs, grow to about 25000 East before the street enters a larger suburb, where they switch to 2500 West, decrease until that suburb's local baseline and then increase again to 2500 East. Eventually, the numbers revert to the main grid at 30000 East and increase to 40000 East, at which point the street ends. In the case of this road, the "highest number" would only be 25000 for the purposes of this post, as that is the highest number in the sequence before the interruption.)

Wherever such long sequences of address numbers - beginning from the local zero point, without interruptions - may be, I'm interested to find out more!

zachary_amaryllis

there are addresses on co-14, not terribly far from me that are in the 60000's (60 miles from the intersection of co-14 and us-287). addresses on this highway are mileage based. i think at some point they reverse and start counting down to walden.

in the ballpark of what you're looking for?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

GaryV

The highest address I found on Woodward was 50104, on the western (southbound) branch in Pontiac.  It seems Woodward numbering resets as you go north of Huron St.  I'm not sure how they keep the numbers unique on the northbound and southbound sections.

This was not always the case, though.  Suburbs like Birmingham and Royal Oak have their own numbering systems, and originally those numbers were used on Woodward.  The numbers on Woodward were unified in 1997.  The Hunter Blvd bypass of Birmingham was renamed Woodward (and the original alignment through downtown renamed Old Woodward) about the same time.

Mapmikey

US 1 in the Florida Keys has continual addresses tied to mile markers.  Goes to at least 107900 just north of Key Largo.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 18, 2021, 11:02:06 AM
US 1 in the Florida Keys has continual addresses tied to mile markers.  Goes to at least 107900 just north of Key Largo.

That doesn't quite fit my post - it's not an entirely continuous sequence because the addresses in the section through Marathon are not tied to mile markers, but rather are based off the numbered side streets.

US20IL64

In Orange County, California, the addresses in southern part, such as Irvine, are high 5 digit #'s. What is the base line? Los Angeles downtown? Or another city in area?   :confused:

CNGL-Leudimin

In Spain, where numbers are assigned sequentially regardless of distance, the record holder may be Calle de Alcala in Madrid, which hits the 700s in the section that runs alongside A-2. I'm aware of at least two streets elsewhere in the country reaching four digits, but both start from the lower 100s and thus are disqualified (Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, which runs all the way across Barcelona, would still reach four digits anyway; its numbering takes into account the section in L'Hospitalet which uses its own numbering running in the opposite direction). Still, that is far below the five digits seen at some places in the USA.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

tigerwings

Quote from: GaryV on October 18, 2021, 06:32:36 AM
The highest address I found on Woodward was 50104, on the western (southbound) branch in Pontiac.  It seems Woodward numbering resets as you go north of Huron St.  I'm not sure how they keep the numbers unique on the northbound and southbound sections.

This was not always the case, though.  Suburbs like Birmingham and Royal Oak have their own numbering systems, and originally those numbers were used on Woodward.  The numbers on Woodward were unified in 1997.  The Hunter Blvd bypass of Birmingham was renamed Woodward (and the original alignment through downtown renamed Old Woodward) about the same time.

You can into the 80000 range north of Romeo

GaryV

Quote from: tigerwings on October 18, 2021, 05:07:45 PM
Quote from: GaryV on October 18, 2021, 06:32:36 AM

You can into the 80000 range north of Romeo

It's not continuous though.  Romeo has it's own numbering system (and in fact, renames Van Dyke to Main St.).  It does get up to pretty high numbers to the south of Romeo.  Also, I'm not sure what the minimum address of Van Dyke is in Detroit.

mrsman

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 18, 2021, 11:45:05 AM
In Orange County, California, the addresses in southern part, such as Irvine, are high 5 digit #'s. What is the base line? Los Angeles downtown? Or another city in area?   :confused:

The zero point for Los Angeles is at the corner of 1st and Main in Downtown.  The smallest addresses are 100, not 1 in much of CA (including Los Angeles).   The system covers all of LA county, but certain cities will have their own independent numbering, so it won't quite work with it.

Orange County typically has large numbers, but their zero point doesn't really reference Los Angeles.

Let's follow Imperial Highway, which seems to be pretty consistent about its highway numbers.  100 East is at Main Street (following L.A.'s pattern) and the numbers steadily rise.  Unfortunately, when it enters OC, it enters a city with its own numbering scheme (La Habra) so it is hard to test.

But, Imperial Hwy crosses Pioneer Blvd in Norwalk at the 11800 block.  Let's move down 4 miles south to South Street in Cerritos.  While it starts in Long Beach (which has its own numbering), at Pioneer, guess what, South street begins its 11800 block.    The numbers continue regularly ending at the 13300 block approaching Carmenita/Moody.  Then, the numbers drop down to 5000 (instead of 13400) as you cross into OC (and the street name does change to Orangethorpe pretty soon after).  [The immediate area is kind of tricky, since the LA/OC border zig zags here and South is actaully on the border for half mile.]  The point of the above is to show that while the main OC address system has numbers rising continuously eastward, the zero point is not in OC and also the zero point is not LA city hall either.  [The east/west zero point for OC would be at the avenue that is 13400-5000=8400 east point in the LA system, roughly around the area of Studebaker Rd in Downey.  Now this would represent the furthest west point of the OC line, if there was a street there that followed the numbering system, in Seal Beach.]

Likewise, the north/south zero point for the OC system is at the northern extent of hte OC county line in the La Habra/Brea area. Unfortunately, since La Habra and Brea have their own addressing system, it is very hard to deduce the numbering system off hand.

So what does all of this mean?  OC has a number of cities that maintained their own numbering system.  The numbering system developed for the county as a whole has a zero point whereever the westernmost extent of the county line would theoretically meet the northernmost extent of the county line.  That meeting point is right in Santa Fe Springs in LA county.  Since every point in OC is south and east of that theoretical point, the county could develop a single numbering system for the entire county (without the need for north/south or east/west demarcations).  Now all of the unicorporated areas have followed this system and many areas of smaller ciites (or relatively newly incorporated areas) like Fountain Valley follow this system as well.  I suppose when the county put in this system, there was a hope that older cities like Anaheim and Santa Ana would eventually adopt the single system, but it hasn't happened.   But ideally, if the independent cities follow the county system, every road in the county could be referenced from that zero point in Santa Fe Springs.  And every street in the county would increase in number going east or going south.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 18, 2021, 12:30:47 AM
(Just to be clear, when it comes to this post, the address numbers must be part of one continuous sequence, uninterrupted by suburbs or towns that have their own separate street grids.

Highest I can find so far in the Chicago area is Cicero Ave with a 23060.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Avalanchez71

I would guess Miami-Dade County would probably win out.  If you stay out off of SR 997 you could keep pretty continuous. 

SectorZ

Meanwhile in Massachusetts good luck finding something over 3000.

Main St (MA 38) in Tewksbury goes pretty high (for around here), starting from a low of 10 and hitting 2600 before 38 goes into Wilmington.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on July 18, 2022, 08:44:26 AM

Main St (MA 38) in Tewksbury goes pretty high (for around here), starting from a low of 10 and hitting 2600 before 38 goes into Wilmington.

I know there's a 5-digit number road somewhere, but I have no idea where it is. I feel like it might be in the Lexington or Newton area. (I also don't know if it's continuous.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SEWIGuy

Rural Waukesha County continues the use of the Milwaukee County addresses.  For instance, I randomly found an address for S75W35875 in the Town of Eagle - which is pretty far west in the county.

That would be 358 "blocks" west of the Milwaukee River in downtown, and 75 "blocks" south of the Menomonee River just south of downtown.  Many incorporated parts of Waukesha County use their own address system however.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on July 18, 2022, 08:45:55 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on July 18, 2022, 08:44:26 AM

I know there's a 5-digit number road somewhere, but I have no idea where it is. I feel like it might be in the Lexington or Newton area. (I also don't know if it's continuous.)

There are some "continuous" ones, but totally fraudulent, as in they go 1000, 2000, etc. Computer Dr in Westboro (which I worked on) is one. The 4th building on the road is 4400.

WillWeaverRVA

Hull Street/Hull Street Road (mostly US 360) in Richmond, VA and Chesterfield County, VA starts at 00 (at the south end of Mayo's Bridge over the James River) and ends at 24000 at the Chesterfield-Amelia county line.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JustDrive

Western Avenue in the LA Basin goes from 2000 North at Los Feliz Blvd to 29700 South, at the Rancho Palos Verdes/San Pedro border.

US20IL64

Quote from: mrsman on July 17, 2022, 07:25:26 PM
Quote from: US20IL64 on October 18, 2021, 11:45:05 AM

The zero point for Los Angeles is at the corner of 1st and Main in Downtown.  The smallest addresses are 100, not 1 in much of CA (including Los Angeles).   The system covers all of LA county, but certain cities will have their own independent numbering, so it won't quite work with it.

Orange County typically has large numbers, but their zero point doesn't really reference Los Angeles.

Let's follow Imperial Highway, which seems to be pretty consistent about its highway numbers.  100 East is at Main Street (following L.A.'s pattern) and the numbers steadily rise.  Unfortunately, when it enters OC, it enters a city with its own numbering scheme (La Habra) so it is hard to test.

But, Imperial Hwy crosses Pioneer Blvd in Norwalk at the 11800 block.  Let's move down 4 miles south to South Street in Cerritos.  While it starts in Long Beach (which has its own numbering), at Pioneer, guess what, South street begins its 11800 block.    The numbers continue regularly ending at the 13300 block approaching Carmenita/Moody.  Then, the numbers drop down to 5000 (instead of 13400) as you cross into OC (and the street name does change to Orangethorpe pretty soon after).  [The immediate area is kind of tricky, since the LA/OC border zig zags here and South is actaully on the border for half mile.]  The point of the above is to show that while the main OC address system has numbers rising continuously eastward, the zero point is not in OC and also the zero point is not LA city hall either.  [The east/west zero point for OC would be at the avenue that is 13400-5000=8400 east point in the LA system, roughly around the area of Studebaker Rd in Downey.  Now this would represent the furthest west point of the OC line, if there was a street there that followed the numbering system, in Seal Beach.]

Likewise, the north/south zero point for the OC system is at the northern extent of hte OC county line in the La Habra/Brea area. Unfortunately, since La Habra and Brea have their own addressing system, it is very hard to deduce the numbering system off hand.

So what does all of this mean?  OC has a number of cities that maintained their own numbering system.  The numbering system developed for the county as a whole has a zero point whereever the westernmost extent of the county line would theoretically meet the northernmost extent of the county line.  That meeting point is right in Santa Fe Springs in LA county.  Since every point in OC is south and east of that theoretical point, the county could develop a single numbering system for the entire county (without the need for north/south or east/west demarcations).  Now all of the unicorporated areas have followed this system and many areas of smaller ciites (or relatively newly incorporated areas) like Fountain Valley follow this system as well.  I suppose when the county put in this system, there was a hope that older cities like Anaheim and Santa Ana would eventually adopt the single system, but it hasn't happened.   But ideally, if the independent cities follow the county system, every road in the county could be referenced from that zero point in Santa Fe Springs.  And every street in the county would increase in number going east or going south.

Thanks for answering, I visited Orange Co. often for work in 80s and 90s, and was wondering about addresses in Irvine for example, and what was their baseline. Also, a relative's former address was 7188 E. xxx St in Buena Park, and wondered if it was tied to Long Beach or ??? :confused:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.