News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Distance-based exit numbers LOWER than the sequential numbers they replaced

Started by KCRoadFan, December 06, 2021, 06:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking about the various states that, over the years, switched from sequential to distance-based exit numbers (namely, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Florida, Maine, and now most recently, Massachusetts), and about how some of the interstate highways in those states - such as I-95 in Florida (through Miami) and I-93 in Massachusetts (through the Boston area) - had enough closely-spaced exits at the start such that, when the numbers were converted, the new distance-based numbers on some of the exits were actually lower than their sequential predecessors. Aside from those two highways, were there any others with exit numbers like that?

SkyPesos

Not a whole highway, but looking at the exit list for I-75 in Ohio, the sequential exit numbers are greater than the distance based exit numbers from the KY line up to Tylersville Rd (exit 22, old exit 24). Then, there's a gap of 7 miles for the sequential exits (OH 129/Liberty Way exit didn't exist back then), so at the OH 63 exit, the distance based exit number exceeds the sequential number (29 vs 25)

1995hoo

The Capital Beltway in Maryland has a bunch of them because the original sequential exit numbers ran clockwise, but when Maryland switched to milepost-based numbering, the new exit numbers ran (still do) anticlockwise because of the presence of I-95 along part of the route and the use of south-to-north exit numbers on the 2di. Thus, for example, Exit 38 changed to Exit 2.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

I-395 in CT are all lower because the sequential exits were a continuation of I-95 numbers from the CT Turnpike days.  And while still sequential, I-84 from East Hartford to the MA border is lower than the numbers from I-86/CT 15 days. 

All of the exits east of I-84 on CT 72 will be lower than the sequential ones they replace...because the exits will be numbered East-West instead of West-East in accordance with the road being logged North-South in the state Highway log. The same will happen with the easternmost exits of I-691 when converted for the same reason. All of the exits from New Haven into Wallingford on I-91 should be lower when converted. And of course, CT 15 numbers will be lower because the sequential ones are a continuation of the Hutch's former numbers (sort of).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MikeTheActuary

DJ Particle

I-195 in RI counts, and I-93 in MA as well...

CT-15 will eventually count once it's renumbered (as noted earlier)...I trust many freeways in the NYC area may as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.