News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs You Wondered About Who Sang It and thanks to technology you found it.

Started by roadman65, March 03, 2024, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I used to hear Everybody's Talkingby Harry Nilsson in my head for years, but wondered who the artist was. Thanks to a free SXM trial, I heard the song played with the digital display informing me that it was Nilsson.

How many songs that you often wondered about that you finally discovered due to modern means?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Too many to list thanks to Shazam. But I found one of my favorite bands, Future Islands, that way.
https://youtu.be/mGdsmIH19dU?si=3GAvjwnMzeafGPrz
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kurumi

I heard Gerry Rafferty's "Home and Dry" on an office PA system a long time ago. No one knew who it was, and I thought it might be George Harrison (nope).

Heard it again, 17 years later, on a 70s playlist, and (pointing_Rick_Dalton.jpg), the mystery was finally solved.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hue0pJPvr14
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

GaryV

JayhawkCO

KeithE4Phx

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

formulanone

"Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by The Hollies

It's a staple of classic rock radio, but I never recall a DJ mentioning the song title and the lyrics are almost indecipherable to my ears. I used Shazam last year to solve that 30-year-old mystery.

epzik8

I have a ton, but my standout would probably be Cher's Just Like Jesse James.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kurumi

Quote from: formulanone on March 04, 2024, 06:10:43 AM

It's a staple of classic rock radio, but I never recall a DJ mentioning the song title and the lyrics are almost indecipherable to my ears. I used Shazam last year to solve that 30-year-old mystery.

Shazam is wrong, that song is obviously by Creedence :-)

(context: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/4mbds6/til_john_fogerty_of_the_band_creedence_clearwater/)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JayhawkCO

When I travel in foreign countries, I often use Shazam to find who sings songs I hear when out and about. Often songs are quite famous in their native countries, but never made it to any kind of regular airplay in the U.S..

Two I remember somewhat recently are:
"Lamento Boliviano" by Los Enanitos Verdes (Argentinian band (translated: The Green Dwarves)) that I heard while sitting on a patio in Granada, Nicaragua
"Fiesta Pagana" by Mago de Oz (Spanish band (translated: Wizard of Oz)) that I heard while riding in a taxi in La Paz, Bolivia

triplemultiplex

Eddie Rabbit
"Driving My Life Away"

Gone are the bad old days of hearing a song on the radio and having to remember to look it up based on misheard lyrics in a clumsy Google search.  Thanks, technology.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman65

I still can't find the Spanish Song that appears to sound like Kimmie Kimmie Karma in its chorus line. It was a hit in the seventies by some Hispanic singer. I would guess Julio Iglesias or someone of the time.

However the Goog won't help there.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2024, 12:24:54 PM
I still can't find the Spanish Song that appears to sound like Kimmie Kimmie Karma in its chorus line. It was a hit in the seventies by some Hispanic singer. I would guess Julio Iglesias or someone of the time.

It sounds too much like you're thinking of Karma Chameleon by Culture Club.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: Takumi on March 03, 2024, 01:46:50 PM
Too many to list thanks to Shazam. But I found one of my favorite bands, Future Islands, that way.

[snippage]

No contest, Shazam is the most useful app on my cell phone!

Mike

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2024, 12:40:45 PM

No I know that one. This is an oldie. So far back and I believe was played on easy listening as back in the seventies the generation before the Baby Boomers loved that soft kind of music.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2024, 12:49:39 PM

No I know that one. This is an oldie. So far back and I believe was played on easy listening as back in the seventies the generation before the Baby Boomers loved that soft kind of music.

The only songs in Spanish that made the Billboard Top 100 in the 70's were "Oye Cómo Va" by Santana and "Eres tú" by Mocedades.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 04, 2024, 01:00:31 PM

The only songs in Spanish that made the Billboard Top 100 in the 70's were "Oye Cómo Va" by Santana and "Eres tú" by Mocedades.
I don't think Julio's massive popularity was reflected always on Billboard charts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on March 04, 2024, 01:07:55 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 04, 2024, 01:00:31 PM

I don't think Julio's massive popularity was reflected always on Billboard charts.

Fair. I was trying to find an easy way to track it down. I remember listening to the Julio/Willie Nelson collab on road trips with my grandparents back in the day.

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on March 04, 2024, 11:15:09 AM
Quote from: formulanone on March 04, 2024, 06:10:43 AM

Shazam is wrong, that song is obviously by Creedence :-)

(context: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/4mbds6/til_john_fogerty_of_the_band_creedence_clearwater/)

Yeah, it does have that CCR sound to it. Except I can understand most of John Fogerty's lyrics, whereas the other song sounds* as if the recording studio was about a hundred meters away from the band, conveniently located at the other end of a subway station.

* my hearing has been suspect since I was young, hence the hearing aids

To be fair, I recently stumped Shazam on an Aphex Twin song (at least that's what the late-night DJ said it was from) for which I was trying to find the title.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.