News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Abandoned North Shore Road and Tunnel; and 2 WV bridge photos

Started by seicer, June 30, 2011, 06:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Abandoned North Shore Road and Tunnel

While photographing waterfalls at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I treated myself to a side trip to photograph the North Shore Road — which also includes a tunnel used only for a hiking trail.

The North Shore Road and tunnel is an active and abandoned roadway on the north shore of Fontana Lake west of Bryson City, North Carolina. Only portions of the 34.3-mile two-lane scenic byway was ever completed in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This included the last segment completed, which was a four-mile portion built between 1962 and 1970 that also included the byway's only tunnel.

Anakeesta rock was unearthed during construction. The rock, when exposed to oxygen, releases a mild sulfuric acid and was first noticed when snowfall instantly melted on the rock surface. In addition, several fisheries were damaged when water levels were adversely affected due to the acidic rock runoff. Lawsuits were filed to halt any further construction.

1 Entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. North Shore Road, also called Fontana Road, is now called Lake View Drive.

2 The road to nowhere.

3 The eastern portal to the tunnel.

4 Exiting the western portal.

5 The roadway literally ends shortly after the end of the tunnel's western portal.

6 A view towards the western portal.

7 End of the road. A hiking trail continues onward through the foothills.

More information can be found at my companion site, Abandoned --
http://www.abandonedonline.net/miscellaneous/north-shore-road/

Two bridges at Cheat Lake, West Virginia

While photographing abandonments throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia on a trip for Abandoned, I came across two spans that I pass by frequently. I never stopped for photographs until just a few weeks ago.

8 Cheat Lake Bridge (Interstate 68)

9 Ice's Ferry Bridge (CR 857)

Unfortunately, Ice's Ferry Bridge is being replaced. The span is currently closed to traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.