News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Hawaii Sign-O

Started by shadyjay, October 29, 2011, 09:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

From October 19 through the 27, I took a vacation to Hawaii.  My dad is out there for work so lodging was already taken care of - I just needed a plane ticket.  It was my first time on a plane since 1989 and my first time ever off the east coast of the U.S.  My dad has a rental car and we drove around exploring the island.  During the trip, I managed to pretty much clinch H-2, plus most of H-1 and the older section of H-3. 

A few things I noticed out there: 

-  The big one right off the bat was the amount of traffic on H-1 through downtown Honolulu.  It's like driving on the Cross Bronx Exp'y in NYC, but with more lanes.  Some
    sections were 10 lanes (5 each way) and there were even some HOV lanes and breakdown lane usage areas. 

-  A lot of Clearview can be seen.  All signage I saw on H-2 and H-3 was Clearview.  A few button-copy signs existed on H-1 in downtown. 

-  H-201 is not signed from H-1 East, but simply as its older designation, HI 78.  Perhaps because H-3 is also on the same sign.  H-201 is signed from H-1 West. 

-  Dashed lane markings are not used at all.  Instead, 4 reflectors spaced out replicate a traditional dashed lane marking.  On sections were passing is permitted on a 2-
    lane road, only reflectors are used.  Paint is only used for solid white and yellow lines.

-  Some elaborate sign bridges and a lot of overhead sign lighting on H-1.

Here's a link to the photo gallery.  I'll also be posting pictures I took that are not directly sign-related, but are scenic views taken from the roadway - look for those soon on my main Picasa page.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shadyjayvt/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.