News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More of US 62

Started by leroys73, April 16, 2014, 08:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: wphiii on April 25, 2014, 04:56:49 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 25, 2014, 01:33:02 PM
There was a fellow from Arizona, whose name escapes me at this time, who was a regular on MTR and did a cross-country trip on US 70 since he lives near it. Myself, I'd like to do the same with US 60, but I already have all of it from the OK/MO border east to its end.

I sort of crunched the numbers once, if you could call it that - took the dozen biggest metros along each of the major E/W U.S. routes, and divided it by the mileage of each route - and IIRC, 60 ended up being the "least densely populated." And its two most major population centers are basically at either end (Hampton Roads area and Phoenix), so most of the length of the route itself is even more sparse than the "density" number would indicate. That always made it interesting, to me. Plus the landscape it goes through in NM/AZ is superb.

What about US 2?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

hbelkins

I've often wanted to drive all the way through the Appalachian Mountains via the straightest route possible. I came to the conclusion that the best way to do that would be via US 50. I'd start at Cincinnati and end at DC, or vice versa. I've driven all of US 50 between Cincinnati and Winchester, Va., but not all at once.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

leroys73

Quote from: hbelkins on April 25, 2014, 09:54:53 PM
I've often wanted to drive all the way through the Appalachian Mountains via the straightest route possible. I came to the conclusion that the best way to do that would be via US 50. I'd start at Cincinnati and end at DC, or vice versa. I've driven all of US 50 between Cincinnati and Winchester, Va., but not all at once.

That is a good ride.  I remember there were some very tight curves and not all that wide.  It is hard to believe back in the day my dad and uncles used to drive trucks along that route for my grand parents.  I bet the road was even more crooked and narrower back then. 

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2014, 05:05:49 PM
There was a fellow from Arizona, whose name escapes me at this time, who was a regular on MTR and did a cross-country trip on US 70 since he lives near it. Myself, I'd like to do the same with US 60, but I already have all of it from the OK/MO border east to its end.

I sort of crunched the numbers once, if you could call it that - took the dozen biggest metros along each of the major E/W U.S. routes, and divided it by the mileage of each route - and IIRC, 60 ended up being the "least densely populated." And its two most major population centers are basically at either end (Hampton Roads area and Phoenix), so most of the length of the route itself is even more sparse than the "density" number would indicate. That always made it interesting, to me. Plus the landscape it goes through in NM/AZ is superb.

What about US 2?

US 2 to a great extent would be awesome  to clinch also. I have been on parts of the western sections.  I remember in WA and parts of MT and ID as being very interesting.  Not sure how it is in the plains or much of it in the east.  I did get part of it in VT, NH, and ME 40 years ago.  A buddy of mine and I just wondered around those states for a few days so we did not stay on any route long. Great up there though.  Hope to return either this year or next by motorcycle.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

wphiii

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2014, 05:05:49 PM

What about US 2?

I think I left 2 out because of the break, which makes driving it all at once a less straightforward proposition. But yeah, it'd be an obvious winner otherwise.

Alps

US 2 was a fun drive, but I wouldn't rank it above other transcontinental E-W highways.

leroys73

I know it's an old thread but I just have to state I finally nailed US 62 after 65 years at least half of it by motorcycle.  From the Rio Grande at the Mexican border to  Niagara Falls and the Canadian border.  As I stated earlier I lived only 20 from it until I was 12 while in Ohio then we moved to Oklahoma where I lived only 2 or 3 blocks from it.  It seems I run across US 62 on almost every trip.  Well, after picking up a stretch missing in Arkansas earlier this year, two weeks ago I followed it from near my birth place in Ohio to Niagara Falls, NY and took a picture of my motorcycle at the END US 62 sign.  I'll have to post it later.  I also rode on it through parts of Tennessee and Kentucky again. It sure does some twists and turns through the towns.  I can say most of this last ride was interesting and pretty.  Good road on which to experience Americana.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Alex

I recall that too. I believe it was Alan Hamilton.

Rob Droz later did a US 1 clinch trip which he also posted about on MTR.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.