News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What Corridors in tthe Rest of the Region Really need upgrades

Started by 3467, February 19, 2015, 02:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dietermoreno

IL Rt 59 through downtown Barrington, IL is still going to have no change in less congestion even if the Rt 53 extension is built.

I doubt the Fox Valley Freeway will be revived though.  I guess Barrington residents like sitting in traffic.  Mostly due to two at grade railroad crossings, rush hour traffic in a a snow storm can back up all the way from Lake Cook Rd (Main St.) to Roberts Rd.

Really only a bypass (probably would have to be tolled, only 45 mph, only 4 lane) of Barrington is needed, but that's not going to happen.

What if the C&NW line and CN line were both made elevated lines through Barrington. You would have to walk up stairs and ramps from the Metra station to the platform to allow the grade separation, like the Jefferson Park Metra station in the city that has the tracks grade separated from the Kennedy and residential streets.

I'm imagining that elevating two railroads would be cheaper (and more politically successful) than building the Fox Valley Freeway, or is it.

I can still imagine complaints from train noise from elevated lines, and complaints that the asthetics of the downtown and nearby neighborhoods is ruined by seeing the elevated lines.

Making the C&NW Metra line a subway underneath Barrington would be cost prohibitive most likely. 

Building the Fox Valley Freeway as a tunnel underneath Barrington would be even more cost prohibitive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.