Lincoln Highway Shelter, Aurora, Illinois

Started by Brandon, August 03, 2011, 10:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

I drive past this original Lincoln Highway shelter every day on my way to/from work.  It's along Hill Avenue in Aurora, at the entrance to the Phillips Park Golf Course.

Sign by the street for the shelter.

The shelter itself.  It was at the center of an auto camp.

Signs inside the shelter.

A short ways south, the original Lincoln Highway (1913) parts ways with a newer version carrying US-30.

Further south on the old road at Wolf's Crossing Road.  It's a reassurance shield, no US-30 in sight.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

the sign in the first photo looks to be a style that was put up in many places in the Illinois area around 1984.  can you confirm that by any chance?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 03, 2011, 11:26:16 PM
the sign in the first photo looks to be a style that was put up in many places in the Illinois area around 1984.  can you confirm that by any chance?

It could be, but these in Aurora are the only ones like them I've seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.