News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rail Expansion Projects (Northeast)

Started by Nexis4Jersey, February 08, 2010, 11:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nexis4Jersey

Even though this a Roadgeeking site , i thought i'd post some Rail expansion Projects some facts, etc.   Becuz here in the Northeast we have or are expanding to have one of the most useful networks in North America.  Some of you say its wasteful and doesn't work , but form i know it does work, becuz people are looking for ways to beat the traffic and not being the one driving them to work.  By the end of this decade NJT and Septa will grow and restore at least 300 miles to both networks.

Railways that will grow

Maine : Growth & Upgrade there network (a few new Rail lines heading north form Portland and a possible streetcar system in Portland as well as the Downeaster tracks being upgraded.

New Hampshire : Upgrade ( The Downeaster route needs to be double tracked and the tracks need replacement.)

Vermont : Growth & Upgrade (mainly to one corridor and preparation of a Boston-Montreal High Speed line (110-140mph)

Connecticut : Massive Growth & Upgrades (the NEC needs to be rewired west of New haven and new Tracks are needed) & East of New Haven (curve straighting and triple tracks needed) & The New Haven-Hartford -Springfield High Speed Rail (110-140mph) and Commuter Corridor.  Streetcar & light Rail networks are planned for New Haven , Stamford and Hartford, aswell as possibly Electrifying the Danbury Branch.

Rhode Island : Grow (track doubling), New Light Rail & Streetcar routes in Providence and commuter rail. & Upgrades

Massachusetts : Grow ,(MBTA is planning a few more commuter lines aswell as a streetcar system in DT Boston , and there are rumors of a Beltway Railway around Boston Metro.) & Upgrades to the Downeaster route.   Aswell as Metro Expansions

Eastern Pennsylvania : Possible Massive Growth and Upgrades : Septa plans to restore service to Allentown and Reading , Harrisburg will start a commuter Service between Downtown Harrisburg & Lancaster along the keystone corridor and East along the I-81/78 corridor to Lebanon.  Septa plans to overhaul 80% of its fleet,and replace Catenary.  Amtrak plans to upgrade NEC speeds to at least 140mph and replace all the interlocks approaching 30th Station , so trains can enter faster.  The Keystone corridor and all its stations will get a much need upgraded and the corridor will increase speeds to 140mph.  A Streetcar network is planned for Philly and PATCO Expansion is planned.  The Lackawanna Cut-off will be restored by 2012 or 13 , connecting Wyoming Valley  with Hoboken Terminal & Inland Jersey Empire.  The Raritan Valley Restoration to Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton is on hold , but the restoration to Philpsburg isn't , there would need to much work to be done , except a Bridge Replacement over the Delaware.

Possible Philly Extension

New Jersey : Massive Growth & Upgrades , NJT is slowly moving away form Commuter Rail Expansion and to Light Rail expansion, A Massive Network of Light Rail lines is planned to Connect Union County - Elizabeth - Newark - Inland Essex Empire - Paterson -Passaic-Hackensack, this entire Network i heard and assume will cost 4 billion $ and use abandoned or lightly used Freight lines.  New Brunswick will also get a Cross-City Light Rail line , The Riverline is planned to Extend South to Glassboro and PATCO extend to Cherry Hill?  The NEW ARC Tunnel to New York will allow more Trains and faster speeds aswell as allow people form the Passaic-Bergen County lines a one-seat ride to NY Penn.  The MOM or Middlesex - Ocean - Monmouth County Network would consist of 2 Rail lines , one feeding into the North Jersey Coastal line and another via a flyover into the NEC line, it would also include a BRT along the congested US 9.  The first phase of the Lackawanna Restoration will open this June , the Andover Station and over the Next 1-2 years the whole line with come back.  NJT is pushing CSX , to allow them to use the West shore line , which runs form Albany to Port Newark, the section NJT would use for Commuter Trains runs form Secacuse JCT to Haverstraw ,NY with stops in Teaneck , Haworth , Orangeburg , etc.  The West Trenton will get restored , it runs form West Trenton to Bridgewater and would allow NJT to free up space along the Congested NEC corridor.  Upgrades to the NEC itself , will allow for Full Speed, replacement of the Catenary wires and straightening of Curves in Metropark & New Brunswick & Elizabeth , will allow Express Trains to hit 130mph.   The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail is planned to extend form North Bergen JCT north along US 1/9 & NJ 67 to Tenafly and West to the Meadowlands / Xanadu complex.

(they are both 70% funded and the proposed freight corridors are now NJT Passenger connections)

(all the yellow projects are done)

(the Glassboro Extension form what ikno should start this year.)

Delaware : Growth & Upgrades : Possible Streetcar system in Downtown Wilmington or LRT, Upgrades to the NEC , wire replacement and track upgrades

Maryland : MARC Penn line extending to Newark ,DE , and providing a Cheaper Alt other the Amtrak , so form Boston to DC in 10 years you will be able to take cheaper ALT.  Expansion of Baltimore Light Rail network , including a Criss-city line , upgrades to the Tracks & wires to the NEC allowing greater speeds 170 is planning and replacement of the interlocks to allow faster Trains into Baltimore Penn.

Washington DC : Massive Growth and a few upgrades, there system is one of the fastest expanding in North America, they focused on Subways for the last 3 decades now its time for the surface transit to get overhauled , streetcar systems are planned for all over the City and Expansion the DC metro further out into the Suburbs and to Dulles In't Airport.  The DC Metro is the second largest and buseit after NYC in North America.  All the interlocks along the NEC in DC are planned to get upgraded.  Aswell as Electrifying the Northeast Regional corridor to Richmond & Newport News.

New York / Upstate : Light Rail & Streetcar projects are planned for Albany , Rochester , Syracuse and Buffalo.  A High Speed Rail line (140 mph) is planned for the I-90 corridor between Buffalo and Albany , the Empire corridor received some FED HSR money for half of the work, since there is no flights between these cities the line is welcomed and is finally starting to happen, i have no date on the opening of this line.

New York City : The Second Ave Subway project & 7th Avenue Extension to the west side are the only Metro Rail projects in the city , the Second Avenue line is expected to have Daliy usage of 200,000 people and help congested traffic along second avenue.  The 7th Avenue Extension will provide one of a few Cross-Manhattan Subway routes.  Brooklyn & Queens have proposed a Streetcar & Light Rail network, Staten Island has proposed and Light Rail line on the West Shore , which would eventually run over the upgraded or New Bayonne Bridge and tie into the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail network.  The LIRR East side acess tunnel is similar to ARC Tunnel it will allow 2-3x the Capacity of daily trains and at higher speeds.  An upgrade and extension of Port Jervis line is in the works , to help relive congestion at NYC Airports.

As the Northeast Population and Urban centers continue to grow these projects whether all of them or the key projects happen will be needed to offset and balance the added congested to the roads and highways , although people on this forum would like to see us widen the Highways , in the process destroying thousands of homes and businesses and widening the highways in rural areas or forests.  Majority of the new Growth can be handled with these projects , the Nimby is also smaller against Rail and Transit then Highways.  To people who say it won't work , people are willing these days to save on Gas and have a less stressing commute, so they are willing to walk a few miles or Park & Ride at transit hubs.  + I know you road-geeks like me would like a less congested road to film or take pictures on.

~Corey

froggie

While the DC streetcar plans and the Silver Line extension to Dulles are real, the rest of those supposed DC area plans you mentioned are pipe dreams from the owner of The Transport Politic.  I commented when he posted about them a few months ago...

Nexis4Jersey

True , but thats still good for DC , my god such a large amazing system , the only thing you guys are missing down there is a Large Commuter Rail network echoing out form the Metro, VE Railways and MARC are ok , but they need to be expanded.  I beleave the Trans-politic guy gets his ideas form Transit Plans each city and region has one for a 10-30 year outlook, so i don't think they are just made up.

froggie

Some do.  Some don't.  In DC, the only serious plans besides the streetcars and the Silver Line is the Purple Line in suburban Maryland.  Most of what TransportPolitic put on his DC map is pipe-dream stuff.

Nexis4Jersey

I just read all of the 2020-40 plans for all these cities , he is correct on all of them, they are all planned or proposed by each region or state GovT.

froggie

Not the DC ones.  Trust me...I live here and I've looked at them myself.

Nexis4Jersey

Are you sure , he gets them form the GovT plans , a few people told me and for what has already happened in DC , i think that is going to happen.

froggie

Yes I'm sure.  Aside from the Silver Line and a planned streetcar along Columbia Pike, the "plans" he shows in Northern Virginia...especially a line along Route 7...are just conceptual ideas and are not serious proposals.  The Glebe Rd "Purple Line" is VERY MUCH a pipe-dream.

Nexis4Jersey

I think the purple is going to happen , i remember reading it somewhere.

Duke87

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on February 08, 2010, 11:08:49 AM
Connecticut : {...} Streetcar & light Rail networks are planned for New Haven , Stamford and Hartford,

On the Stamford streetcar: don't hold your breath. It's a pipe dream that was conceived A) when the economy was booming and B) under a Democrat mayor. Both of those things have changed.
The line as conceived would be of limited length, along a corridor already served by buses (many of which are underused), and would require removing lanes from some major streets which, let me tell you, is a bad idea.

In short: porkbarrel project, pray nothing comes of it.

Quoteaswell as possibly Electrifying the Danbury Branch.

I would think double-tracking it and removing the grade crossings would be much more beneficial and much more important. Would also be a good idea for the New Canaan branch (which is already electrified).

I'd be tempted to say the same for the Waterbury branch, but that line isn't too well-used and has some bigger problems that you'd want dealt with first (no signals, short tiny ground-level platforms, sidings and yard trackage in such disrepair as to be unusable...)

QuoteNew York City : The Second Ave Subway project & 7th Avenue Extension to the west side are the only Metro Rail projects in the city , the Second Avenue line is expected to have Daliy usage of 200,000 people and help congested traffic along second avenue.  The 7th Avenue Extension will provide one of a few Cross-Manhattan Subway routes.

Er... I think you mean 7 Line extension, not 7th Avenue. Which is just a waste of money at this point, considering that nothing is actually getting built at the Hudson Yards, and the station at 10th Avenue which actually would have been useful was axed. It's the next "Tunnel to Nowhere".
The city has been trying to build the Second Avenue subway to no avail for three-quarters of a century. They're actually digging right now, but the first section (which is only from 63rd St to 96th St) is already five years behind schedule...

QuoteThe LIRR East side acess tunnel is similar to ARC Tunnel it will allow 2-3x the Capacity of daily trains and at higher speeds.

The ESA and ARC projects are both quite welcome. Also, little known fact: there is provision in the construction of both for the two to potentially be linked together in the future. Probably will never happen, but it's a cool thought. :cool:

QuoteAn upgrade and extension of Port Jervis line is in the works , to help relive congestion at NYC Airports.

Another boondoggle. The problem with Stewart Airport is that it's just too far away from the city to be a practical alternative to Newark or JFK for most people. Westchester County Airport would be much more logical to beef up and put more transit out to, especially if for people whose business takes them not to the city itself but to someplace like White Plains or Stamford. But, sorry, it abuts Greenwich, and we can't let noisy airplanes come anywhere within twelve parsecs of those multimillion dollar mansions and estates, now can we? :-/
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteI think the purple is going to happen , i remember reading it somewhere.

Purple Line is only going to happen in Maryland, between the Red Line at Bethesda and the Orange Line at New Carrollton.  It's a "desire" in the rest of Prince George's County, but a pipe-dream in Virginia.

Nexis4Jersey

I do agree fully with you duke 87 , The subway 7 extension is a waste of money , but when has the MTA not wasted money on retarded projects?  The Stamford Streetcar is a pipe dream , but i don't think the New Haven / Hartford Light Rail is.  I rather see the Waterbury branch electrified , i think it would be stupid to electrify the Danbury branch.  Its a shame the ESA & ARC will probably be never linked , becuz that will force Amtrak to dig another tunnel , when it upgrades the NYC section of the NEC.  The Port Jervis line to Steward Airport , defeats the Purpose of expanding the Rail network.  I have found the purple line in plans , but it looks like other lines will go ahead of it.

Duke87

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on February 10, 2010, 11:27:25 AM
The subway 7 extension is a waste of money , but when has the MTA not wasted money on retarded projects?

I do believe the City of New York is bankrolling the 7 extension (it's Bloomberg's pet project), not the MTA.
Doesn't make it less of a waste of money, though.

QuoteI rather see the Waterbury branch electrified , i think it would be stupid to electrify the Danbury branch.

What makes Waterbury a better candidate for it than Danbury?

Nexis4Jersey

Becuz the Waterbury Branch or Line would one day continue to Hartford, and i checked the line is pretty much intact, just needs some doubling and Eventually Electrification.  The Danbury line can use dual Locos , if the MTA or CT DOT every decides to order any.  It seems once again NJT is leading the way in Railway up keep and Newer and and faster fleets.

D-Dey65

It seems I'm one of the few people here who like the 7 Line extension. But as far as I'm concered there should be no light rail in any of the Five Boroughs. If MTA is going to add more rail service, it should be with the subways, the LIRR, and maybe Metro-North(although I can't imagine what else they could do with Metro-North in Manhattan or The Bronx.). I'm still not pleased that Boston, and DC sacrificed future road improvements for MBTA and WMATA, and now I'm concerned about New Haven.

mightyace

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 11, 2010, 01:46:10 AM
and maybe Metro-North(although I can't imagine what else they could do with Metro-North in Manhattan or The Bronx.)

There have been plans, which I'm not aware of the current state of (but I'm sure Nexis4Jersey will know), to dig a tunnel so that LIRR can get into Grand Central Station in addition to Penn Station.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Nexis4Jersey

Its underway , i found some pictures of it.
http://gothamist.com/2010/01/29/mta_photos_show_lirr_work_in_massiv.php?gallery0Pic=4#gallery

Service should begin in 2016 , and service for the New ARC tunnel should begin in 2017.  Which leaves Amtrak , which gets the old tunnels , but i'm sure they'll have there NY Terminating trains use are new Tunnels and Station.  Eventually Amtrak will need to replace there aging tunnels which are 100+ years old.   The NEC keeps increasing in ridership each month and year, and NYC is the biggest speed and service choke point, every day theres at least 20 delays.

~Corey

mightyace

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on February 11, 2010, 03:47:58 AM
Its underway , i found some pictures of it.
Thanks for the pictures.

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on February 11, 2010, 03:47:58 AM
Eventually Amtrak will need to replace there aging tunnels which are 100+ years old.   The NEC keeps increasing in ridership each month and year, and NYC is the biggest speed and service choke point, every day theres at least 20 delays.

No argument there.  According to a recent Trains magazine article on Penn Station, even with the ARC tunnels NJT is building, it won't relieve capacity issues in the NEC for long since, as you pointed out, ridership continues to increase.

Another issue with the NEC tunnels is that the emergency exits are some narrow stairs which seriously limits their ability for people to use them if necessary due to an accident or terrorist action.  Those new ARC tunnels should not have this issue as would any hypothetical NEC replacements.

D-Dey65

Quote from: mightyace on February 11, 2010, 02:06:17 AM
and maybe Metro-North(although I can't imagine what else they could do with Metro-North in Manhattan or The Bronx.)
There have been plans, which I'm not aware of the current state of (but I'm sure Nexis4Jersey will know), to dig a tunnel so that LIRR can get into Grand Central Station in addition to Penn Station.
You mean the Long Island Railroad East Side Aceess project.
http://mta.info/capconstr/esas/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Access

That's not Metro-North.

D-Dey65

SEPTA's plans for Philadelphia are interesting.

I like the idea of restoring the Route 23 Trolley, and maybe even the Route 56 Trolley - both as Heritage Trolley lines I presume. Most of the others I have mixed emotions about. One thing I know is that they also want to merge the Subway-Surface Trolley Line's Eastwick Loop(for Route 36), and the SEPTA R1 Eastwick station together as the "Eastwick Transportation Center."

http://world.nycsubway.org/us/phila/regionalrail.html#r1air

BTW, when I was on the New Jersey Turnpike, I looked for the PATCO Speedline, but I never saw it. And if it was there, I probably didn't know if that was what it was.

Duke87

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on February 11, 2010, 01:12:06 AM
Becuz the Waterbury Branch or Line would one day continue to Hartford, and i checked the line is pretty much intact, just needs some doubling and Eventually Electrification.

It would make far more sense to go to Hartford from New Haven, as Amtrak already does - the line is currently active, and for the entire length either already has a second track, or clear ROW for one.
Meanwhile, the route from Milford is all single track with no clear ROW for a second one, from Waterbury on the existing track is abandoned (and not in usable condition), and the route is more convoluted anyway.

mightyace

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 11, 2010, 08:56:50 AM
Quote from: mightyace on February 11, 2010, 02:06:17 AM
You mean the Long Island Railroad East Side Aceess project.
http://mta.info/capconstr/esas/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Access

Thanks to you, too.  I didn't have that info handy and was busy on other things.

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 11, 2010, 08:56:50 AM
That's not Metro-North.

Yep, you're right and I should know better.   :banghead:  It's gets confused in my mind since Metro-North and the LIRR are both part of New York's MTA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_york_mta

QuoteHistory

Chartered by the New York State Legislature in 1965 as the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Authority (MCTA) it initially was responsible only for regulating and subsidizing commuter railroads, including the Long Island Rail Road and what is now the Metro-North Railroad. The MCTA changed its name to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) in 1968 when it took over operations of the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) and Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA), now MTA New York City Transit (NYCT) and MTA Bridges and Tunnels (B&T) respectively.

As you can see, the MTA also includes the subway and bus systems plus some of the regions many toll bridges and tunnels.

Nexis4Jersey

Quote from: Duke87 on February 11, 2010, 05:22:37 PM
Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on February 11, 2010, 01:12:06 AM
Becuz the Waterbury Branch or Line would one day continue to Hartford, and i checked the line is pretty much intact, just needs some doubling and Eventually Electrification.

It would make far more sense to go to Hartford from New Haven, as Amtrak already does - the line is currently active, and for the entire length either already has a second track, or clear ROW for one.
Meanwhile, the route from Milford is all single track with no clear ROW for a second one, from Waterbury on the existing track is abandoned (and not in usable condition), and the route is more convoluted anyway.

True , The Need to first replace and Upgrade West of New Haven , that stretch between NY Penn New Haven is the slowest and in the worst condition, the Catenary and poles need replacing, there are rustic and look terrible.  Interesting , idk , CT is a growing state with a Messed up Rail and Parkway network that is neglected.

Duke87

Scott5114

I would be rather amused if one of these people who think rail is a cure-all were given the task of designing a passenger rail system for Central Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.