Ditch the GPS. It’s ruining your brain Washington Post Op-ed

Started by bing101, June 08, 2019, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ditch-the-gps-its-ruining-your-brain/2019/06/05/29a3170e-87af-11e9-98c1-e945ae5db8fb_story.html

Interesting Points perception is one of them and checking on surroundings too.

Removed fbclid -- article has paywall --sso

kalvado

Lots of people here love to hate GPS - but it is only one side of a problem.
If you want to ditch GPS, remember to ditch Google as well and go to the library to go through an encyclopedia to look up the answer. That will also give you a lot of information only tangentially related to the question, for example. Doing taxes or budget? No computer or calculator, do it old style. Oil change? Grab some wrenches. Frozen dinner? Take out? Nope..

There is a huge shift in how we handle common tasks in general and information in particular. Singling out GPS, especially the way it is used in congested cities to find a way around the traffic, is fairly stupid.

PS. looking at the text above... Oh, and don't forget computer spell and grammar check... Need I say more?

Hurricane Rex

The US won't like that. Most of us can't go 15 minutes without our phones.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on June 08, 2019, 10:02:42 AM
If you want to ditch GPS, remember to ditch Google as well and go to the library to go through an encyclopedia to look up the answer. That will also give you a lot of information only tangentially related to the question, for example. Doing taxes or budget? No computer or calculator, do it old style. Oil change? Grab some wrenches. Frozen dinner? Take out? Nope..

There is a huge shift in how we handle common tasks in general and information in particular. Singling out GPS, especially the way it is used in congested cities to find a way around the traffic, is fairly stupid.

PS. looking at the text above... Oh, and don't forget computer spell and grammar check... Need I say more?
The use of GPS navigation causes problems on the road.  The others don't (well, unless you're using your phone while you drive, but using an encyclopedia while driving would probably be worse).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on June 08, 2019, 09:10:00 PM

The use of GPS navigation causes problems on the road.  The others don't (well, unless you're using your phone while you drive, but using an encyclopedia while driving would probably be worse).
Idiocy causes problems on the road - and in many other cases. Honorable mention goes to keep-right-no-matter-whatters between exits 1 and 2 and near exit 7 on Norhtway. Keep right because that is the law!

wxfree

I hate those "fbclid"s.  Facebook attaches that garbage to every link.  It's polluting the entire web because it's left attached when the link is copied.  It ends up in access logs, multiple times in referrers, making a bunch of unique links that all reference the same page.  I always remove that part, but there's really no point in it because they're still everywhere, complicating links and adding no value to anything.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: wxfree on June 09, 2019, 02:26:51 PM
I hate those "fbclid"s.  Facebook attaches that garbage to every link.  It's polluting the entire web because it's left attached when the link is copied.  It ends up in access logs, multiple times in referrers, making a bunch of unique links that all reference the same page.  I always remove that part, but there's really no point in it because they're still everywhere, complicating links and adding no value to anything.

Technological literacy in this forum seems middling at best, so it's totally unsurprising that garbage links like that, along with amp links, link shorteners, etc get used fairly often here.

SSOWorld

and paywalls. that block both ad-blockers and private browsing
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

wanderer2575

1995hoo

Today's "Dustin" (which appears in the Washington Post) is right on point for this discussion.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 11, 2019, 08:39:22 AM
Today's "Dustin" (which appears in the Washington Post) is right on point for this discussion.

I had to use NYS map more than once to protect my legs from solar heat absorbed by black jeans...

vdeane

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 10, 2019, 09:16:11 PM
That's what disabling JavaScript is for.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ET21

Long road trips I use a map to save the phone battery. I won't use GPS until I get closer and know I'll need to make many quick turns on side streets.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

I was looking at the other thread about cities where the street numbering doesn't start at the city center and it made me think that local driving in an unfamiliar place, or in one with weird street numbering or discontinuous street names, is an ideal time to use some sort of navigation device. Arlington County, Virginia, is a great example because there are (among others) five or six different streets named Buchanan. The navigation system makes it a lot easier to get to the specific address you need and a paper map often won't help with finding the block numbers (some will, but many won't). Then there are places like Broward County where the "quadrants" change seemingly at random–for example, my brother-in-law's family live in Pembroke Pines near NW 186th Avenue, but if you leave their neighborhood on nearby NW 196th Avenue, the prefix changes to SW both to the south (logical enough) when you cross Pines Boulevard, but also to the north when you cross Sheridan Street. Yes, SW is north of NW in that area (and the SW part of that street is not in the separate municipality of Southwest Ranches, either).

But for long-distance driving out on the open highway, the devices can be useful for getting an ETA but too often cause people to miss the big picture and to be able to understand alternate routes.

vdeane

I think that's a great opportunity instead to pan your route in advance.  With Google Maps and street view, it's possible to plot out every turn such that you don't need the GPS.

I was actually reading an article the other day about how Seattle has traffic slow-downs because of locals being unable to navigate without GPS and waiting for it to tell them what to do.

bing101

Quote from: vdeane on June 12, 2019, 09:13:24 PM
I think that's a great opportunity instead to pan your route in advance.  With Google Maps and street view, it's possible to plot out every turn such that you don't need the GPS.

I was actually reading an article the other day about how Seattle has traffic slow-downs because of locals being unable to navigate without GPS and waiting for it to tell them what to do.

In my Case I watch Roadgeek videos for some routes before I get out of the door or when I take a tour so I know every turn and layout before I get out the door so I don't get distracted with GPS on my phone when I drive.

In_Correct

Nonsense. G.P.S. can be used while driving. The other examples are not.

Quote from: vdeane on June 11, 2019, 09:14:18 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on June 10, 2019, 09:16:11 PM
That's what disabling JavaScript is for.

I use Java Script Toggle On Off. Other times I try to stop the page from loading. Usually the text loads just fine. Every thing else does not, but it is not needed. It is just a bunch of dumb things web designers like to add to make every thing complicated. The disabling of Java Script entirely does not always work for every day use. Some websites are a pain and will not even load at all if Java Script is disabled.

Quote from: bing101 on June 12, 2019, 09:24:59 PM

In my Case I watch Roadgeek videos for some routes before I get out of the door or when I take a tour so I know every turn and layout before I get out the door so I don't get distracted with GPS on my phone when I drive.

I have watched many Road Geek videos before. I also eventually will post mine. But before ever drove on an Interstate or Turnpike for the first time, a Road Geek posted videos of the same route I was going to drive on. That was very useful. I have not watched the videos recently be cause I did not want to deal with his antics. I wanted to watch and listen to the road and traffic and general layout.

As for G.P.S. ... it is confusing. I do not use it. I will try to find a video about it to watch in advance. And I also print out maps. I might not use a regular road atlas all the time, and I might not know how to use G.P.S., but I still print out Google Maps!   :sombrero: I have Brother colour laser printer. I have it ready before even travelling. I worry if I turn on a Smart Phone, it would either drain its battery, or worry that it would overheat.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

1995hoo

Possible, but in my opinion also a nuisance if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar because the sat-nav will adjust if I wind up going a different way from what I plotted out at home (could be any reason–traffic, a wreck on the highway, saw something interesting and decided to detour, whatever).

Essentially, what I think a lot people overlook is that it's meant to be an aid, not a crutch.

Hurricane Rex

I should've expanded on my post from a few months ago. I do agree that we should plan our roads we travel on with maps rather than GPS and it will make the roads safer so I support it. But like I said, we are so reliant on our phones. Also runners and cyclists rely on GPS to get their runs to an exact pace. They do not use a map most of the time on GPS.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

vdeane

Quote from: In_Correct on June 12, 2019, 10:32:22 PM
I use Java Script Toggle On Off. Other times I try to stop the page from loading. Usually the text loads just fine. Every thing else does not, but it is not needed. It is just a bunch of dumb things web designers like to add to make every thing complicated. The disabling of Java Script entirely does not always work for every day use. Some websites are a pain and will not even load at all if Java Script is disabled.
Chrome allows for JavaScript to be disabled on a per-site basis, and even only for a current incognito session.  I often use that setting if I don't know if I'll be using a site again to avoid cluttering the list.  Given that, if I'm on a news site, I almost certainly followed a link to an article from somewhere else, I don't really care if the rest of the site works, though it is unfortunate when I can't read comments on the few sites that have them still.

Disabling JavaScript works about 90% of the time.  For the rest, stopping the middle of loading sometimes works, or viewing the page source.  Unfortunately, Google's cache is no longer a reliable method.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

yand

Before a trip I plan my route, put the waypoints into my GPS app, and use GPS the entire way. When there is no time to plan, GPS is good enough.

Not only does the GPS provide timely new directions in case of missed turns, GPS apps also show critical info about slowdowns, crashes etc that are essential for situational awareness.

If you're concerned with battery life, get a charger or power bank. If you're concerned with overheating, get a light color phone case or mount the phone on a vent.

The idea that GPS users miss the big picture is ridiculous... if only the app let you zoom out. The GPS is no more a distraction than the speedo or any other information available to the driver. The ability to manage your attention can be learned.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

kphoger

Quote from: yand on June 14, 2019, 06:06:21 PM
The GPS is no more a distraction than the speedo

Speedo are a huge distraction whenever I go to the pool.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on June 17, 2019, 01:38:53 PM
Quote from: yand on June 14, 2019, 06:06:21 PM
The GPS is no more a distraction than the speedo

Speedo are a huge distraction whenever I go to the pool.
I hate it when my car displays its speedo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.