News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ditch the GPS. It’s ruining your brain Washington Post Op-ed

Started by bing101, June 08, 2019, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verlanka

Henry

I'm pretty much old-school in this regard, as I absolutely refuse to use GPS; I'll stick to the traditional maps and atlases, thank you very much.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

I always know my planned route before I leave, but I find GPS to be incredibly helpful in getting me around unexpected traffic backups. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

formulanone

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 18, 2019, 11:45:42 AM
I always know my planned route before I leave, but I find GPS to be incredibly helpful in getting me around unexpected traffic backups. 

I like to know my route, will sketch it out on an index card, I don't like taking orders that I'm not interested in, and prefer to minimize distractions. But I do like to know traffic conditions, an alternate route, and time/mileage to an unfamiliar destination. Things change, and I like to be adaptable to that against the time constraints which are restrictive.

There are some final-mile destinations or shopping/eating places in unfamiliar places  that I don't plan for, and do not always have time to research.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 13, 2019, 09:16:56 AM
Quote from: vdeane on June 12, 2019, 09:13:24 PM
I think that's a great opportunity instead to pan your route in advance.  With Google Maps and street view, it's possible to plot out every turn such that you don't need the GPS.

Possible, but in my opinion also a nuisance if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar because the sat-nav will adjust if I wind up going a different way from what I plotted out at home (could be any reason–traffic, a wreck on the highway, saw something interesting and decided to detour, whatever).

Essentially, what I think a lot people overlook is that it's meant to be an aid, not a crutch.

BTW, I will note that I'll sometimes type myself a short list of directions if I know I want to use an unfamiliar route that will cause the sat-nav to balk and I don't want to have to pull out a map while driving.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

At least we have no hardcore old-timers, who always pull over to ask for directions, right?

PHLBOS

Quote from: kalvado on June 18, 2019, 01:04:03 PMAt least we have no hardcore old-timers, who always pull over to ask for directions, right?
Actually, I've seen some pull over and ask for directions because either they misinterpreted their GPS or the info. on their GPS was just wrong.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on June 18, 2019, 10:06:15 AM
I'm pretty much old-school in this regard, as I absolutely refuse to use GPS; I'll stick to the traditional maps and atlases, thank you very much.

I'm not sure I've ever used a SatNav device, maybe once and I don't remember.  But I do occasionally pull out my cell phone and open Google Maps.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 18, 2019, 02:28:26 PM
I'm not sure I've ever used a SatNav device, maybe once and I don't remember.  But I do occasionally pull out my cell phone and open Google Maps.

I do that as a passenger (and have thereby helped avoid a number of delays...) but not as a driver.
At least not any more, as I did once and have learned my lesson in that regard.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 18, 2019, 04:05:00 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 18, 2019, 02:28:26 PM

I do that as a passenger (and have thereby helped avoid a number of delays...) but not as a driver.
At least not any more, as I did once and have learned my lesson in that regard.

Were you assuming I meant looking at Google Maps while driving?  I won't say I never ever do that, but most times I'm checking the map while stopped.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.