News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Street Sign Name Game

Started by jbnv, March 08, 2017, 09:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Just like with the city game, but with street signs. In fact, I'm basically stealing Scott5114's rules.  :D

1. I'll post a picture of a road sign with a street name on it. The next person will post a road sign that has a street name on it that starts with the same letter as the previous street name ends with. For example, if the previous sign is for "Stigler Street", the next person would have to post a sign with a street name that starts with R.

2. Challenge rule: Any play may be challenged as long as no more than five plays have been made after it. After five plays, a play stands and cannot be challenged.

a. The OP will resolve the challenge by making a ruling on it. If the challenge is upheld, the play and all plays after it become null. Streets that were played during the challenge are available for play again.

b. The player who makes the challenge should provide evidence that the play is invalid. This includes additional photographs of the location, GSV, or other factual evidence concerning the name being challenged.

c. The player who is being challenged has the right to present evidence to support the play.

3. If it's posted on a sign, it can be played. Blades, BGSs and LGSs count. Honorary names that cover all or part of a route can be played. This includes historic or ceremonial routes and parts of routes (bridges, approaches, etc.).

4. The entire name of the street being played must be visible and legible on the sign for it to be playable, either directly or by way of any other rule.

5. Only the distinct part of the name counts. The road type doesn't apply. Directionals (North, South, etc.) don't apply. So the next letter in "South Main Street" is N.

6. Special letters: N, X and Y are the current special letters. If there are other street names in the same picture and the matching name ends with one of the special letters, you may use one of the other street names in the picture. (Otherwise, you must use the matching name.) The OP reserves the right to add additional special letters as the game progresses.

7. If there are multiple street names in a photo that start with the correct letter, you can continue the chain with any of them.

8. The same person can't go twice in a row unless 48 hours pass between posts.

9. Actual pictures. No GSV. (GSV maybe used as evidence to support or negate a challenge.)

10. Signs played must be the official legal sign erected by the jurisdiction. No handmade, advertising, etc. signs.

11. Each distinct street or route may be used only once. A photo containing multiple street names may be reused but only the unused street names on it may go. If two separate streets in the same jurisdiction have the same name, the other street can be used even if one was already played.

12. A name plays out according to its full spelling. (Example: M. L. King Jr. plays out as M_r.)

13. You cannot use the same street name twice in a row, even for a road of another jurisdiction.

14. Signs do not have to be in English, but if it is unclear what part of the name counts, you need to clarify it. Names play to the official or common language of the jurisdiction in which the sign is posted.

15. Numbers are playable as spelled out per rule 13. Ordinal and cardinal forms are significant. (Examples: "1st" St. in a USA city plays as F(irs)T. "Old Highway 51" plays as F(ifty-on)E. But "Rue 1e" in Quebec plays as P(remier)E.

16. An exception to the rule #15 is Roman numerals. Roman numerals can play either literally ("XIV") or per rule 13 ("Louis XIV St." plays as L(ouis the Fourtheent)h but "Rue Louis XIV" plays as "L(ouis Quatorz)e."

17. Optional words: Words on the lists below may be included or omitted from the title.

- At the beginning of the name: Titles such as "Dr.", "Saint," "Honorable," etc where the rest of the name is someone's name. Prepositions and articles ("of the", etc.)
- At the end of the name: Name suffixes such as "Sr.," "Jr.", etc. The word "memorial."

For example: the name "Dr. Martin L. King Jr. Memorial Way" can be played from D or M, and the next play can start with G, R or L. "Avenue of the Americas" can be played from O, T or A.

18. Erroneous signs (signs that are misspelled or mislabeled) are not playable.

19. Frontage and service roads for freeways, tollways and expressways are playable. The jurisdiction for this type of the road is the road that it fronts or serves.

99. The OP reserves the right to declare any play invalid according to these rules.

Our first street name is Washington. Here's a good example of rule 13. "Rue" means "road" and "sud" means "south." So this is South Washington Road.

Street sign in French by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SignGeek101

Quote from: jbnv on March 08, 2017, 09:27:41 AM
"Rue" means "street" and "sud" means "south." So this is South Washington Street.

FTFY. Chemin is "road". Interesting to see bilingual (English/French) signs in the US though.

MNHighwayMan

S Washington Road → New York Circle (Des Moines, IA)

jbnv

There's a numbered street in your picture. I didn't think about the possibility of including those. Should we allow the cardinal form ("sixty-seven") or the ordinal form ("sixty-seventh")?

I didn't address single letters ("Avenue A") either. They'll count as single-letter names. (So "Avenue A" matches a name that ends in A and a name that begins in A.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jbnv on March 08, 2017, 11:00:21 AM
There's a numbered street in your picture. I didn't think about the possibility of including those. Should we allow the cardinal form ("sixty-seven") or the ordinal form ("sixty-seventh")?

I didn't address single letters ("Avenue A") either. They'll count as single-letter names. (So "Avenue A" matches a name that ends in A and a name that begins in A.)

I would go with just the straight number (sixty-seven) rather than the ordinal or else we'd end up with a lot of H___ street names.

Another alternative would be to just not play numbered streets. I think it might be more interesting that way.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Eth

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 08, 2017, 12:07:50 PM
Another alternative would be to just not play numbered streets. I think it might be more interesting that way.

I think they should still count if fully spelled out ("4 St" or "4th St" doesn't count, but "Fourth St" does).

7/8

New York Circle to King Street East (in Kitchener, ON)

oscar

I don't normally take a lot of street sign photos, but sometimes (like on one of my summer 2016 road trips in western Canada) I was taking GPS readings at some intersections where open-source mapping was weak, and I took photos instead of jotting down notes in my often-illegible (even to me) writing.

King => Gitsegukla Ave., in a town along TCH 16 in British Columbia:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

7/8

Gitsegukla Avenue to Arthur Street

oscar

I'm unsure whether "Red Rock West Rd." is a different road from other nearby instances of "Red Rock ___ Rd.", or rather it's the same road as Red Rock East Rd. Since West is abbreviated as W on the sign, I'd be inclined to treat it as just Red Rock Rd.

Arthur => Red Rock West Rd., along BC 97 south of Prince George BC:

7/8

Red Rock West Road to Keene Road (on Hwy 7)

Scott5114

I have been copied. It's an honor! :D

Quote from: jbnv on March 08, 2017, 09:27:41 AM
4. Blades, BGSs and LGSs count.

For clarity, stoplight mastarm signage is OK too?

How about named highways?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Ugly picture of an uglier sign, but there's not a lot of Es that I have pictures of. I should take advantage of my house-hunting to take lots of pictures of Norman blades.

Keene Rd → Eastern Ave. (Oklahoma City)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

7/8

Eastern Avenue to Notre Dame Drive (Township of Wilmot, ON)

jbnv

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 08, 2017, 09:15:55 PM
For clarity, stoplight mastarm signage is OK too?

Yes.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 08, 2017, 09:15:55 PM
How about named highways?

If the name is on a sign, it counts.

Notre Dame -> Essen:

paulthemapguy

In Wisconsin, can we just post "County A," "County B," "County, C," etc. to change the new letter to anything we want?  :bigass:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

epzik8

I'm going to steal the next one, if I can.

Essen > New Cut Road in Glen Burnie, Maryland. (Well, actually, Severna Park or something like that.)
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 09, 2017, 09:26:43 AM
In Wisconsin, can we just post "County A," "County B," "County, C," etc. to change the new letter to anything we want?  :bigass:

If you have to ask, don't do it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

MNHighwayMan

Thomasville Road → E Euclid Avenue (Des Moines, IA)

7/8

East Euclid Avenue to Donald Cousens Parkway (off the 407)

oscar

I have lots of S____ road names ready to play, just went with the first one I found.

I would interpret "West" not as a "directional" part of the road name, but rather indicating this Skeena FSR is in the western part of the provincial forest in BC's Skeena region. This issue comes up a lot with forest service roads in BC.

Donald Cousens Pkwy => Skeena West FSR:

7/8

Skeena West FSR to Television Road (in Peterborough, ON)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.