News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cheating US highways

Started by bugo, March 21, 2019, 03:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 26, 2019, 05:59:16 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 26, 2019, 04:50:34 PM
US-412 also overlaps with US-43, US-56, US-60, US-62, US-63, US-64, US-65, and U.S. 270 and runs parallel to US-62 and US-64 in various places and intersects US-70. It's ridiculous that it can't have a spur number from anyone of those US highways.

Given that it's an E/W running highway, it wouldn't make sense to use any of the odd-numbered roads you mentioned.  It probably runs concurrently with US-62 more than any other US highway, so I could buy into a US-462.  Only changes one numeral that way.  It's probably going to become an interstate between Tulsa and Lowell anyway if they bypass Siloam Springs and take care of at-grade intersections; there aren't very many in that stretch.

In my opinion, the easiest fix to US 412 is to truncate it to Guymon as the entire thing west of there is a useless overlap with US 64 and/or US 56. As for the rest of it, I like the idea of a US x64, because it tends to function as an alternate to that route through most of Oklahoma (sort of like the x83 family in the KS/OK area). I'd be quite happy with a US 464, since 164 should be used for what's currently 163, 264 is in use, and 364 is the designation for the Creek Turnpike.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 26, 2019, 04:47:17 PM
US-20 never met up with US-120 either.

On paper it did...was originally designated to go to Erie but by 1928 was truncated.  Per US Ends.com, Pennsylvania may not have gotten to signing its US routes before they changed some designations.  Explicitly shown to Erie in the 1927 Clasons Atlas.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 26, 2019, 04:30:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2019, 12:45:16 PM
Has anyone brought up US 163?   Really it is a very short route that happens to be in two states and is far truncated from its original size.  The number is much akin to US 400, 412 and 425.

US 412 actually isn't a short route and goes through or at least slightly touches 6 states.  I think the entire 400 series of U.S. highways were intended to be an eye-gouge to pendantic folks like us to push those in power to make them into freeways.  US-412 from Tulsa eastward to Nashville is a high-priority corridor (HPC 8) that will at least make spotty progress towards freeway upgrades in our lifetimes, but who knows if that means upgraded portions are replaced with an interstate designation eventually.  It's already at least 4 lanes from Tulsa to Huntsville, AR, but I don't see much appetite for pushing through the mountains to Alpena, AR anytime soon.  And I definitely don't see any push past Harrison for a couple of decades.

No way US 412 needs any type of freeway status.  The route is merely a conglomeration of routes strung together to put cities on the "map."

texaskdog

US 8: only 278 miles long, basically a Wisconsin highway with 22 miles in Minnesota and 2 in Michigan.  WI-29 is a far more efficient way across Wisconsin.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: texaskdog on March 27, 2019, 04:06:13 AM
US 8: only 278 miles long, basically a Wisconsin highway with 22 miles in Minnesota and 2 in Michigan.  WI-29 is a far more efficient way across Wisconsin.

Important to note that before I-35W was completed US-8 used to go southwest into Minneapolis.

Flint1979

I've used US-8 before and agree with WI-29 being a better route to use to cross Wisconsin.

texaskdog

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 27, 2019, 04:10:52 AM

Important to note that before I-35W was completed US-8 used to go southwest into Minneapolis.

things change

though if I had my way US 2 would follow Michigan 28 to the Soo and US 8 would have it's new direct crossing and follow current US 2 to Saint Ignace.

Flint1979

Quote from: texaskdog on March 27, 2019, 06:53:31 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 27, 2019, 04:10:52 AM

things change

though if I had my way US 2 would follow Michigan 28 to the Soo and US 8 would have it's new direct crossing and follow current US 2 to Saint Ignace.
I think M-28 should remain a state highway. I just don't see the point of adding another US highway across the UP.

hbelkins

And THIS thread hasn't been locked yet for going off the rails, yet someone killed the three word game in Off-Topic?

My point about inconsistent moderation gets proved yet again.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2019, 03:16:40 PM
And THIS thread hasn't been locked yet for going off the rails, yet someone killed the three word game in Off-Topic?

I agree that it shouldn't have been locked. My guess is that it's because this thread has an original topic to go back to, while the three word game didn't (even though the topic was fine).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

That's because this thread has gone in three different directions (the original topic, the ordinal linguistic personification offshoot, and random silliness). Locking it because of the silliness kills two interesting topics, so being "consistent" here by applying a one-size-fits-all solution of locking everything that goes off the rails is actively bad moderation, which is generally considered worse than inconsistent moderation.

Ordinal linguistic personification stuff moved to https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24739.0, will slice out the silliness shortly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Go cry me a freeway.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

paulthemapguy

You're probably the person who ought to have the LEAST interest in an uptick in moderation.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Avalanchez71

Quote from: US 89 on March 26, 2019, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on March 26, 2019, 05:59:16 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 26, 2019, 04:50:34 PM
US-412 also overlaps with US-43, US-56, US-60, US-62, US-63, US-64, US-65, and U.S. 270 and runs parallel to US-62 and US-64 in various places and intersects US-70. It's ridiculous that it can't have a spur number from anyone of those US highways.

Given that it's an E/W running highway, it wouldn't make sense to use any of the odd-numbered roads you mentioned.  It probably runs concurrently with US-62 more than any other US highway, so I could buy into a US-462.  Only changes one numeral that way.  It's probably going to become an interstate between Tulsa and Lowell anyway if they bypass Siloam Springs and take care of at-grade intersections; there aren't very many in that stretch.

In my opinion, the easiest fix to US 412 is to truncate it to Guymon as the entire thing west of there is a useless overlap with US 64 and/or US 56. As for the rest of it, I like the idea of a US x64, because it tends to function as an alternate to that route through most of Oklahoma (sort of like the x83 family in the KS/OK area). I'd be quite happy with a US 464, since 164 should be used for what's currently 163, 264 is in use, and 364 is the designation for the Creek Turnpike.
I say renumber US 412 as US 66. 

jp the roadgeek

FTR, my post about US 220 and US 202, which contained both legitimate and info about their personalities, was excluded from this thread, but never placed in the parallel thread; it essentially went <poof> or was shipped off to that place that rhymes with "gallon sand" .  My point was that US 220 never gets anywhere near its parent (barely makes it a few feet into the same state at its northern terminus, and is over a hundred miles from it in PA), and US 202 strays almost 500 miles from its parent at its southern terminus, and changes from north-south to east-west then back and  back again.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

Simply upgrading NY-34 to US-220 and connecting US-220 to US-20 in Auburn, NY would work.

US-202 makes it's connection with US-2 in Bangor, Maine so I see no problem with that one.

Verlanka

I think the "new" US 311 qualifies, as it is basically an east-west North Carolina highway that dips into Virginia.

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 29, 2019, 02:38:28 AM
FTR, my post about US 220 and US 202, which contained both legitimate and info about their personalities, was excluded from this thread, but never placed in the parallel thread; it essentially went <poof> or was shipped off to that place that rhymes with "gallon sand" .  My point was that US 220 never gets anywhere near its parent (barely makes it a few feet into the same state at its northern terminus, and is over a hundred miles from it in PA), and US 202 strays almost 500 miles from its parent at its southern terminus, and changes from north-south to east-west then back and  back again.
It's worth noting that US 220 no longer enters NY; AASHTO approved a request to truncate it back to the PA border (creating a de facto terminus at I-86/modern NY 17).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2019, 01:08:57 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 29, 2019, 02:38:28 AM
It's worth noting that US 220 no longer enters NY; AASHTO approved a request to truncate it back to the PA border (creating a de facto terminus at I-86/modern NY 17).

That's probably one of the shortest truncations in history. A couple of hundred feet, maybe?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

Was the truncation due that town not wanting traffic?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on April 28, 2019, 11:23:21 PM
Was the truncation due that town not wanting traffic?

It was probably because there was no need for it to extend further. The cross road it ended at was old NY 17, but I think was just a county road or city street today.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 27, 2019, 06:32:20 AM
I've used US-8 before and agree with WI-29 being a better route to use to cross Wisconsin.

Google Maps is telling me that starting from almost any city in northern Wisconsin east of US 51 (or the UP east of US 45), WIS 29 is a much faster route to get to the Twin Cities. Even starting from anywhere along US 8 (like Rhinelander or Cranston), Google Maps still redirects you to highway 29 because it's over 20 minutes faster.
Forget the I-41 haters

Rothman

I don't find WI 29 being faster particularly surprising, having driven it myself.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MantyMadTown

Well for the past several decades Wisconsin has put a lot of work into upgrading it into a major highway. If it didn't receive those upgrades it wouldn't be any faster than highways with a speed limit of 55 mph.
Forget the I-41 haters

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 21, 2019, 07:09:26 AM

There are several U.S. highways that exist only in one state. And that policy of 300 or more miles or more than one state was written in 1991 so it doesn't surprise me that there are several U.S. highways that aren't 300 miles long or don't enter another state. So any new additions to the U.S. highway system has to serve more than one state.
The AASHTO (AASHO) U.S. route numbering policy actually dates back to the late 1930s. It's been violated numerous times since then, with new single-state routes being established.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.