News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Best interstate ever

Started by agentsteel53, August 20, 2013, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I'm partial to I-787 up in Albany. It's a cool number first off, and I like the way it snakes through the city. Other interstates that I like include I-68 (especially through Sideling Hill), the Northway portion of I-87, I-93 through Boston and the Big Dig project, and I-95 through Providence.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

texaskdog

How about I-535 in Duluth, Superior.  It's only a bridge crossing the river, 100% scenery!

Avalanchez71

I say I-180 in WY because it is different.

elsmere241

I like I-82 in Washington.  Because it's newer it was built to more recent standards and things flow nicely.

Thing 342

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 21, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
I say I-180 in WY because it is different.
Agreed. Having grown up in Cheyenne, I have a soft spot for I-180.

Henry

I-90, hands down! Besides going from Seattle to Boston (and through my hometown of Chicago), there's great variety in the scenery.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bickendan

I-5 from Redding to Eugene. The 'Cascade Wonderland Highway' I've seen floating around is silly, but it does fit.

JCinSummerfield

I-375 in MI.  Gets me to where I need tpo go, and in a hurry!   :-D

kkt

Quote from: elsmere241 on August 21, 2013, 11:15:54 AM
I like I-82 in Washington.  Because it's newer it was built to more recent standards and things flow nicely.

I was just going to post this.  It goes through some pretty nice country.  My choice if we're picking one for the whole length of the interstate.

Also worth mentioning:  I-280 from San Bruno to Cupertino.  I-84 (western).  I-80 through Wyoming.
I-64.

SteveG1988

No Love for I-195 in NJ?

Condition is great, plenty of large 1970s spec state shields, traffic isn't too bad, the ends are a bit of a let down due to ending and transforming into a state route.
Only thing i would improve other than the eastern end to extend it further, add a third lane between trenton and CR537/six flags, to help six flags traffic.

Edit: Forgot to give a reason why
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Brandon

I'll nominate I-80 for such a long, cross-country route from Youngstown, Ohio to West Wendover, Nevada (the part I've been on).  It crosses deserts, plains, prairie, forests, comes close to the Great Lakes, goes through the mountains, and has a combination of urban and rural areas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

theline

Quote from: pianocello on August 21, 2013, 12:09:38 AM
On that note, I'll give an honorable mention to the Borman Expressway and I-74 in Peoria. I'll admit I'm not old enough to actually remember what the old roads were like, but by hearing stories and looking at maps, I can tell the DOTs did a great job.

Good call on the Borman. Since I am old enough (by plenty) to have driven it multiple times before the rebuild, I initially scoffed at the idea it qualifies as "best." On further reflection, I realized that it is now an absolute pleasure to drive, even with heavy traffic. As a bonus, it's part of I-80, so all those praising that route are included.

The Borman is one of several recent reconstructions on which INDOT has done a great job in recent years. I-465 in Indy also comes to mind.

Brandon

The Borman may be fast to drive now, but it is still full of a bunch of crazy nutjobs driving it.  If we have a thread for looniest drivers, the Borman drivers certainly qualify in the top five.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

theline

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2013, 02:55:35 PM
The Borman may be fast to drive now, but it is still full of a bunch of crazy nutjobs driving it.  If we have a thread for looniest drivers, the Borman drivers certainly qualify in the top five.

I haven't noticed a higher than normal proportion of nutjobs on the Borman. I hope that doesn't mean that I'm one.  :crazy:

Brandon

Quote from: theline on August 21, 2013, 04:45:25 PM

I haven't noticed a higher than normal proportion of nutjobs on the Borman. I hope that doesn't mean that I'm one.  :crazy:

I saw more than a few acts of idiocy coming back from the Flint meet on Saturday.  Everything was sane until we got up to I-65.  Then it's like a crazy switch was flipped with a variety of driving styles - fast in the right, slow in the left, etc.  Then we got up to Burr where the two right lanes were closed through Cline.  After Cline, it was a free-for-all for about a mile or two as trucks had moved left for the construction and had to get back to the right as the FIBs cut them off.

Alps

Now that my head's clearer, best Interstate is I-895 NY. It's the only urban Interstate I know of that never, ever gets a traffic jam.

DandyDan

Missouri's I-229, for the double decker bridge through downtown.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

AsphaltPlanet

I don't think the current 55 mph speed limit on the Borman is appropirate.  It has been a few years since I have driven it, and I am far from a regular driver, but I remember a wide range of speeds being traveled on that road.  Some drivers want to stick close to the 55 mph limit, while other drivers are quite content doing 75 mph despite the low limit.  There doesn't seem to be a ton of slower traffic keeping to the right either.

In my experience, a lot of larger 5+ lane per direction roadways operate similarly.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 24, 2013, 09:51:29 AM
I don't think the current 55 mph speed limit on the Borman is appropirate.

You could say that about almost every suburban freeway in Illinois and Indiana.

(I haven't had the chance to drive the Borman yet, but I've been wanting to.  Perhaps I'll have the opportunity this year.)
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

theline

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 24, 2013, 01:10:08 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 24, 2013, 09:51:29 AM
I don't think the current 55 mph speed limit on the Borman is appropirate.

You could say that about almost every suburban freeway in Illinois and Indiana.

(I haven't had the chance to drive the Borman yet, but I've been wanting to.  Perhaps I'll have the opportunity this year.)

I just drove the Borman this weekend. 55 was reasonable before the rebuild, but it's ridiculous now. Most traffic was way over the limit. I started out around 63 in the next-to-right lane and had folks zooming past on both sides. When a yellow school bus screamed past, I picked it up. The limit needs to be 65-70.

thenetwork

I-70 from Denver west to I-15:

Plenty of canyons, tunnels, architectural feats (The Eishenhower Tunnel, Glenwood Canyon & the San Rafael Swell), and pretty much every kind of terrain and landscape imaginable in that 500 mile stretch -- from desert to mountains.

Mark68

I-70 from about Vail Pass to I-15. Glenwood Canyon was a marvel of engineering, the San Rafael Swell is beautiful (especially around sunset), I-15 from Cedar City to Vegas (including the Virgin River Gorge), I-84 from the I-80 split to I-15, I-5 from Redding to Roseburg, and I-84 from Troutdale to Hood River (Multnomah Falls!) are some of my favorites.

Also I-25 from Trinidad to Raton is beautiful but slow. I-93 in NH (been as far north as Lincoln) is my favorite eastern interstate.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on August 26, 2013, 10:14:18 PM

Plenty of canyons, tunnels, architectural feats (The Eishenhower Tunnel, Glenwood Canyon & the San Rafael Swell), and pretty much every kind of terrain and landscape imaginable in that 500 mile stretch -- from desert to mountains.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: thenetwork on August 26, 2013, 10:14:18 PM

I've only been through there at night.  I guess I should make some plans.

signalman

Quote from: Mark68 on September 05, 2013, 06:17:35 AM
I-93 in NH (been as far north as Lincoln) is my favorite eastern interstate.
It's prettier and less traveled north of Lincoln.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.