News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2017 MLB Postseason

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, October 10, 2017, 05:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 16, 2017, 12:39:16 PM

Now, I haven't gone back to pre-1990 when Philly was the 4th largest city to see if the NY-LA-Chicago-Philly combination shows up anywhere.

There was the 1980 Stanley Cup finals when the Philadelphia Flyers lost against the NY Islanders.

Too bad then the WHA Houston Aeros had disseapeared before the WHA-NHL merger, imagine what might have been...

triplemultiplex

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 14, 2017, 11:27:24 AM
They'd also become the first team to represent both the AL and the NL in the World Series.  I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.

Grrr.... I know!
Of course Houston can only be the first team to win the WS from both leagues.  (Fuck you, St. Louis.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Takumi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 16, 2017, 03:54:36 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 14, 2017, 11:27:24 AM
They'd also become the first team to represent both the AL and the NL in the World Series.  I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.

Grrr.... I know!
Of course Houston can only be the first team to win the WS from both leagues.  (Fuck you, St. Louis.)
No, the Astros lost in their only WS appearance in the NL in 2005.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KeithE4Phx

Of course Houston can only be the first team to win the WS from both leagues.

The Astros got their bats handed to them by the White Sox in 2005, in a 4-game sweep.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

CNGL-Leudimin

Grrr.... I know!

I'm rooting for the Astros because they have never won the World Series. I always go with the team that has the longest championship drought (And at least the Cubs managed to win it all last year after a century). However if they and the Cubs make to the World Series (Something unlikely as Cubs are 0-2 down against Dodgers) I predict the Astros will become the first team to lose it against both Chicago teams :bigass:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

davewiecking

For those not aware, the Nats and Astros opened a combined spring training complex earlier this year in Palm Beach, FL. For at least the past half decade, my Nats have been telling me that this is the year they'll win it all. It is now my hope that next spring, the Nats have to go to work for 6 weeks by passing under a big sign proclaiming "Spring Home of the World Series Champions".

triplemultiplex

Why did I think Houston won a WS in like the 80's?  Derp!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:33:42 PM

They got within a few outs of getting there in 1986 but the Mets beat them and then Boston.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Well, the Cubs are back to their old losing ways, as the Dodgers have pushed them to the brink of elimination.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 18, 2017, 09:09:12 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 17, 2017, 02:33:42 PM

They got within a few outs of getting there in 1986 but the Mets beat them and then Boston.

No.  The Red Sox won that World Series 3 games to 4 :)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

inkyatari

Quote from: Henry on October 18, 2017, 09:49:46 AM
Well, the Cubs are back to their old losing ways, as the Dodgers have pushed them to the brink of elimination.

Our pitching sucks, and our bats have gone cold.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Henry

Quote from: inkyatari on October 18, 2017, 10:03:34 AM

Perish the thought, the Cubs have prevented a Dodgers sweep, and who knows, they might become the second team to overcome a 3-0 deficit in the LCS. Of course, somebody named Epstein oversaw the first instance of that, with the '04 Red Sox.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

inkyatari

Quote from: Henry on October 19, 2017, 10:11:57 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on October 18, 2017, 10:03:34 AM

Perish the thought, the Cubs have prevented a Dodgers sweep, and who knows, they might become the second team to overcome a 3-0 deficit in the LCS. Of course, somebody named Epstein oversaw the first instance of that, with the '04 Red Sox.

I certainly hope that the Cubs can make it to the WS again, but with two games in LA....  I dunno.

Flint1979

As a White Sox fan no way could I ever root for the Cubs. I'm rooting for the Astros, hopefully they take games 6 and 7 at home.

Takumi

As an Orioles fan, I can't root for the Yankees, and the Astros' bullpen woes in the ALCS are giving me some serious schadenfreude about their lowball offer for Zach Britton at the trade deadline. So go NL, I guess.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'll be rooting for the National League side, regardless if it's the Dodgers or the Cubs, if Yankees make it to the World Series. I had released a statement denying the Curse of Rocky Colavito only for the Indians to be out already at the Division Series.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Alps

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2017, 04:57:39 PM
As a White Sox fan no way could I ever root for the Cubs. I'm rooting for the Astros, hopefully they take games 6 and 7 at home.
I knew you were a White Sox fan because you tried to suggest Chicago likes the Bears more than the Cubs. Sorry to you and the 12,000 other Sox fans.

Flint1979

Quote from: Alps on October 19, 2017, 11:43:28 PM
I knew you were a White Sox fan because you tried to suggest Chicago likes the Bears more than the Cubs. Sorry to you and the 12,000 other Sox fans.
I'm in Chicago all the time the Bears own that town and right about now the Blackhawks come in second Cubs might be third

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Alps

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2017, 11:48:51 PM
I'm in Chicago all the time the Bears own that town and right about now the Blackhawks come in second Cubs might be third

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

:-D I'm gonna ask a few other people.

KeithE4Phx

Given that both Cubs and Sox fans also cheer for the Bears, I'd say that the Bears own Chicago, and have since Walter Payton first put on #34, if not before. Yes, even while they stink/stank/stunk up Soldier Field over the years, and the Bulls got 6 rings in the '90s and the Blackhawks got 3 in this decade.  I left Chicago a long time ago, but my feeling is that it's still primarily a Bears town. 

The Flubs are a regional team from the north side who wins once every 100 years or so.  The Sox are still a few years away, but IMNSHO will be back in the Series before the Flubs are.  :bigass:
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

ET21

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2017, 11:48:51 PM

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Blackhawks are the hottest ticket in town, cause you know, they're actually can sustain success, Cubs 2nd, Bulls/Bears tied for 3rd, Sox 4th  ;-)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

Within a 30 mile radius of Chicago, there are far more Bears fans than Cubs fans.  Get out past 30 miles, and it quickly flips the other way.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

inkyatari

I heard that the commissioner cancelled all games for the rest of the season.

seriously, I posted in a Cubs facebook group something about the loss and how I figured we lose, but how the loss was embarrassing, and some other fan said I wasn't a real Cubs fan and that I should go root for the dodgers.  Fuck that noise.  I REALLY hate other Cubs fans that say such and such isn't a true fan if they don't agree with them 100%  It's fucking bullshit.  I was a pallbearer at my grandfathers funeral. He was buried wearing his favorite Cubs shirt.  I watched many games with him when I was a kid.  Don't fucking call me a bandwagoner because I express my frustration with my team.

ET21

Quote from: inkyatari on October 20, 2017, 08:50:24 AM
I heard that the commissioner cancelled all games for the rest of the season.

seriously, I posted in a Cubs facebook group something about the loss and how I figured we lose, but how the loss was embarrassing, and some other fan said I wasn't a real Cubs fan and that I should go root for the dodgers.  Fuck that noise.  I REALLY hate other Cubs fans that say such and such isn't a true fan if they don't agree with them 100%  It's fucking bullshit.  I was a pallbearer at my grandfathers funeral. He was buried wearing his favorite Cubs shirt.  I watched many games with him when I was a kid.  Don't fucking call me a bandwagoner because I express my frustration with my team.

Sounds like he was someone who jumped on last year and barely knows anything from the team before 2016
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, the Cubs are out so they won't win a second World Series in a row and then wait 108 years for the next one. It's down to the Astros to decide wether I'm rooting for them or the Dodgers in the World Series (Since I'm with all those who hate the Yankees).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.