News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is anyone else experiencing lag when writing a post?

Started by index, March 11, 2018, 03:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

Whenever I begin to type in the box you would type the content of your post in, the page gets progressively slower and laggier the more text I have in it. Is anyone else getting this problem? I started experiencing issue not too long ago, and it seems to only be on this site.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

webny99

Funny you mention this. I've been having this exact problem recently. At its worst, it can be 5 seconds or so between hitting the key and the letter showing up in the post box.

I thought it was just my antiquated computer, but maybe not  :hmmm: It definitely gets worse (slower) the more text you type (case in point, I haven't had any issues yet with this post). I've never had this trouble with mobile devices... seeme to be computer-specific.

adventurernumber1

For the most part I have been using my phone lately, so I did not know about this problem until now.

But after typing this very post on my computer, I am encountering the lag problem myself. And actually, the "I" in the previous sentence did not show up (and I had to retype it) due to the lag, even though I pressed the key. Very odd indeed.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Testing having this problem on a Windows 8 / Chrome - no issue. What platform/browser are you guys using?

1995hoo

I've only had that happen on my iPad, and it's not unique to this forum so I assumed it was a device-specific issue related to the device being over five years old.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

index

Quote from: Alps on March 11, 2018, 07:26:05 PM
Testing having this problem on a Windows 8 / Chrome - no issue. What platform/browser are you guys using?

Windows 7 Ultimate/Latest version of Chrome.

Counties traveled

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Alps on March 11, 2018, 07:26:05 PM

For some reason I have no idea what my computer is that I use, but the browser I use most of the time (and the one with which I posted my first post in this thread) is Google Chrome.

With this post, I am now testing things out in Internet Explorer (and going into that browser for the first time in a while reminds me of how much worse it usually is). However, I actually am not seeming to have the problem still (at least with this post), so that's good.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Eth

Hmm, I haven't seen this issue. Chrome 65 on macOS 10.13.

hbelkins

I can't imagine this being a forum issue. Local hardware or network, most likely.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on March 12, 2018, 12:14:02 PM
I can't imagine this being a forum issue. Local hardware or network, most likely.

This is what I'm thinking as well.  I'm personally not having any issues myself. (Windows 7, Firefox)

slorydn1

I am not having the issue either at home (Windows 10/Google Chrome) nor work (Windows 7/Google Chrome). Both systems have a decent amount of RAM (8 GB at home, 24 GB at work) so that may be what is keeping me from having this issue here?

I did have a similar issue with a different forum, usually at home, but the cause of that was traced to the advertisements from forum sponsors hogging resources (imagine that)!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

DaBigE

I'm seeing it here...currently on my work laptop (haven't tested my personal laptop). Some moments are worse than others. Doesn't matter if I am connected to the net directly or through our VPN. Running Windows 10 and the most current version of Chrome. 32 GB Ram. I'm guessing my personal laptop will be the same (or worse), since the specs on my work laptop kick my personal laptop's several times over.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

freebrickproductions

No issues here, and I'm using IE 11 on Windows 7.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

US 89

I just started having this problem a few days ago, but mine seems to be a little different from what others have posted about. My text box lags about two seconds, and the lag is the same no matter how much text is in the text box. Also, scrolling up and down the reply page is very laggy for me. I'm using Mac OS/Chrome.

Scott5114

Suggestion for those experiencing this: bring up your OS's system monitor (in Windows, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager, on Linux run `top' from the console or `ksysguard' if you have KDE, on Mac pray that the OS designers didn't think you were too stupid to operate a system monitor) and see if your processor usage is spiking, and if so, see if you can figure out what's causing it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 12, 2018, 04:21:34 PM
Suggestion for those experiencing this: bring up your OS's system monitor (in Windows, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager, on Linux/KDE run `ksysguard', on Mac pray that the OS designers didn't think you were too stupid to operate a system monitor) and see if your processor usage is spiking, and if so, see if you can figure out what's causing it.

Mac: Activity Monitor.

index

To add to this, as I don't think it's worthy of creating a whole new thread:

Is anyone else getting their text randomly resized when they post? I am often having to edit my posts multiple times because the text is resized to the smallest possible size. This only happens when I'm using Chrome OS with Chrome, in most instances, on my school computer. (before anyone grills me, I'm not slacking off or anything, I'm doing fine in everything, straight As, all this and that) Often times, when I try to correct the randomly resized text, it ends up duplicating itself, adding random "/size" tags all over the place, and making other text small.

Counties traveled

hotdogPi

Quote from: index on April 16, 2018, 02:47:30 PM

Is anyone else getting their text randomly resized when they post? I am often having to edit my posts multiple times because the text is resized to the smallest possible size. This only happens when I'm using Chrome OS with Chrome, in most instances, on my school computer. (before anyone grills me, I'm not slacking off or anything, I'm doing fine in everything, straight As, all this and that) Often times, when I try to correct the randomly resized text, it ends up duplicating itself, adding random "/size" tags all over the place, and making other text small.

So bing101's sizing problem wasn't his fault at all...

Alps

Quote from: index on April 16, 2018, 02:47:30 PM

I've had that before but I haven't reliably reproduced it. When you go back to fix it, make sure you click on the red "a" button so that you are viewing the BBCode (I know, it's not the most intuitive button), and then the tags go away once you delete them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.