News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tolled provincial highways

Started by Alps, June 09, 2013, 05:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: Steve on June 12, 2013, 06:54:10 PM
Quote from: ghYHZ on June 12, 2013, 05:35:11 AM
Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2013, 10:19:43 PM
Quote from: yakra on June 11, 2013, 10:03:21 PM
Isn't there still a toll (50p?) on the Harbour Bridge in Saint John on NB1?
Yes, but I didn't count bridges, and I think it's at least $1.

Toll was eliminated about 2 years ago.
Is the 1 freeway completed too? When I was that way it was still under construction for about 30 km.

I just drove NB1 on Monday.  It's all toll-free freeway, and though the part through St. John is still a mess (reminds me of I-68 through Cumberland MD), the rest of it including the newest sections are a fast and pleasant drive. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cbeach40 on June 18, 2013, 05:48:04 PM
Quote from: NE2 on June 09, 2013, 07:14:53 PM
Highway 407 is technically not a provincial highway.

The short answer is, Highway 407 is a provincial highway, for which the consortium has taken the responsibility and liability for its operation. The province is still very involved with the highway and its development.

As I understand it, the  consortium has a long-term concession agreement which  allows them to set and collect tolls, and in exchange, they must operate and maintain the highway according to certain standards - but the road still is the property of the provincial government.

Quote from: cbeach40 on June 18, 2013, 05:48:04 PM
Additionally, construction of the 407 extension, as well as the West Durham Link are underway or just about to be, bringing another 35 km of toll freeway into service in the near future.

And those extensions will be built and run by the provincial government, not by the consortium.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.