Forum stats link?

Started by 20160805, April 24, 2018, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on April 28, 2018, 11:32:00 AM
I used to have a completely different account. When I wanted to change my username, I just created a new account. Then, when everyone found out, the admin team merged the two  :)

Sure, ParrDa, that's for sure what happened. :bigass:

Takumi

Takumi is the main character in Initial D, which I was into when I made my account here. Notably, I don't use this name anywhere else.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 28, 2018, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 28, 2018, 11:32:00 AM
I used to have a completely different account. When I wanted to change my username, I just created a new account. Then, when everyone found out, the admin team merged the two  :)
Sure, ParrDa, that's for sure what happened. :bigass:

Well, it is what happened, even if I left out some details. ParrDa was my first username (congrats!) but it didn't really refer to my name either (well, sort of it did, but it was too veiled to decode anyways).

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 28, 2018, 04:39:01 AM
'5114' is the first four digits of the UPC code on a box of Ziploc bags that was sitting next to the computer when I was creating my first-ever forum account in 2003.

No, really.
Or the last four of your SSN? :bigass: :-D
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

freebrickproductions

My username is my username I use across multiple forums and websites, including YouTube which is where I pretty much started out.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SSOWorld

anyone who knows me by my real name can figure out my user name contains at least two letters of it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 29, 2018, 11:57:41 AM
anyone who knows me by my real name can figure out my user name contains at least two letters of it.
I seem to have made a connection with a recent thread on Arizona loop designations (Interstate status) and a Scott O through a linked thread from a different forum.

Is that you 'Scousin?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

My name is Floyd R. Turbo, American
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: signalman on April 28, 2018, 09:53:36 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 28, 2018, 08:52:55 AM
I just got done watching Fury Road when I created my account and user name..  So basically my screen name is nothing more grandiose than I enjoy Mad Max movies and happened to be watching one at the time I joined.  Some people didn't get the reference and thought it was my name. 
I had never made that connection, but it makes perfect sense now that you point it out.  I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one whose head it sailed over. 

The location tagline on my profile is from the opening scene in the original Mad Max.  Seemed road related enough...

Incidentally I have the Main Force Patrol logo on my Challenger.  I thought it kind of resembled the 1973 Falcon XB Interceptor aside from the body kit and massive blower.

IMG_0138 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on May 15, 2018, 08:18:32 AM
Checking for updates ... ... ...  :pan:

The statement above is exactly why nothing has changed.

Also, personal opinion:  The  :pan: is the most annoying, overused emoji on these boards.

US71

Quote from: webny99 on May 15, 2018, 08:18:32 AM
Checking for updates ... ... ...  :pan:

Well, here we go again

US71

Quote from: webny99 on May 15, 2018, 10:07:02 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2018, 08:42:43 AM
The  :pan: is the most annoying, overused emoji on these boards.

It may be [intentionally designed to be] annoying, but I don't think I overuse it.

Nothing like missing the point.

hbelkins

Might be time for a thread lock.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on May 15, 2018, 11:20:32 AM

Or swing the conversation back towards screen names.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 15, 2018, 11:45:16 AM

Nah, that would be better discussed in its own thread. I'm going to have to +1 hbelkins and say this needs a lock.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 15, 2018, 04:00:58 PM

Nah, that would be better discussed in its own thread. I'm going to have to +1 hbelkins and say this needs a lock.

It wouldn't be long before some newbie or lurker came along and asked the same thing, anyways...

index

Quote from: webny99 on May 15, 2018, 04:04:20 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 15, 2018, 04:00:58 PM

It wouldn't be long before some newbie or lurker came along and asked the same thing, anyways...

Well, the question about why there isn't a stats page was already answered and justified within this thread. Locking it wouldn't really stop anyone from seeing it. +1 for a lock.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on April 24, 2018, 11:42:31 PM
Leave me (and all my stats threads and whatever else) completely out of the picture, long enough to form an answer to a very basic question: Should the stats page be something that is available to forum users? Two years ago, before I joined, what would your answer have been?

That's the only important question at play in this thread right now, so I'll just shut up for a while and see what everyone has to say.

I guess I was gone for a lot of this stuff, and I just now popped onto the thread to see what's up.  I might as well post my opinion, in case the thread gets locked.

It's unfair to expect a mod to forget you exist as a user in forming his opinion on the matter.  A mod's opinion about what info should or should not be available is necessarily linked to how he thinks users might misuse that info.  That you were called out on running amok with the site stats must influence the mods' opinions and decisions on whether site stats should be available to everyone.  How could you expect it not to?

Imagine if mod-to-mod discussion about whether or not to ban users were available to regular users on the forum.  (I actually accidentally discovered one such discussion on Google months ago because the conversation had somehow ended up being searchable–perhaps over a third-party service–but I had the common sense to not exploit the discovery.)  And now imagine that I started a thread (or multiple threads) digging up dirt on specific users from that information.  The discussions get taken down from public view, and I am chastised.  And then I have the gall to insist that the mods publicly state their opinion on the matter as if I had never done anything to misuse the information.  That would be an unreasonable expectation.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.