News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 05, 2018, 03:56:08 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2018, 01:00:00 PM
EDIT: The one in Danville wasn't a Scottie's, but an Ollie's Trolley -- another now-defunct regional chain.

There is an Ollie's Trolley in downtown DC at the corner of 12th and E NW (across from where Barnes & Noble used to be, a block north of Pennsylvania Avenue).

(Sorry if this duplicates someone else's comment, as I have not read the whole thread.)

There's still one in Louisville, which unfortunately I didn't get to patronize the last time I was there because it's closed in the evenings. I also understand there's one in Memphis and there may be one in Cincinnati as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

I think I mentioned the Ollie's Trolley in DC several pages back.

Brandon

Maybe not so defunct anymore...

Carson's reopening Evergreen Park store on Black Friday

QuoteWhen Merrillville, Ind.-based CSC Generation bought the intellectual property of Carson's parent company, Bon-Ton Stores, out of bankruptcy last month, it got the retailers' e-commerce sites back online within a week and promised stores would follow.

"It's been a race to prepare to open our first store, and we're looking forward to growing our brick and mortar footprint over the coming months,"  CSC Generation CEO Justin Yoshimura said in a news release.

Carson's also said on its website that it plans to reopen locations in Lombard and Orland Park, but the company did not provide opening dates or other details for those locations.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Flint1979

It would honestly be better if they only had one name plate. Instead of having Bergner's, Boston Store, Carson's, Elder-Beerman, Herberger's and Younkers they should have just went with one name. Just keep the oldest name plate active which is Carson's and they should go back to the original name Carson Pirie Scott & Co.

I think a lot of the stores looked cheesy especially using the same logo for every company. It'd be nice for them to reopen so they can take back some of these mall vacancies they left. Some of these malls like The Mall in Monroe which had a Carson's are now with only one anchor and many times those one anchors aren't even a regional chain. I don't think they ever had a location of any of these stores in Eastland Mall in Harper Woods but there's a prime example of a mall with no real anchor stores left, they have K&G Fashion Superstore and Shoppers World. And this mall was at one time a nice mall with real anchor stores, they now have 4 vacant anchors.

Stephane Dumas

The following restaurant chains aren't defunct yet but some of them could implode depending of which path they'll take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbztGhuFmik

abefroman329

I'd be surprised if any of them went under any time soon, frankly. Subway has been oversaturating the market for over a decade and they're still going strong 

dvferyance

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 30, 2018, 07:15:49 PM
I'd be surprised if any of them went under any time soon, frankly. Subway has been oversaturating the market for over a decade and they're still going strong
The only one I could see going under is Papa Johns.

abefroman329

Quote from: dvferyance on December 30, 2018, 07:38:35 PM
Papa Johns isn't going under unless college kids spontaneously stop eating pizza.

Flint1979

Papa John's does pretty good in my town anyway. We had a Cottage Inn that closed about five years ago they just opened another one here though. Michigan based pizza chains don't do bad around here like Jet's, Cottage Inn, Hungry Howie's, Little Caesars, Domino's. I'd have to say that Jets or Cottage Inn are the best ones though. The ultimate best pizza chain in Michigan though is Buddy's by far. There are 11 Buddy's locations that I know of including the original location on Conant Street in Detroit. Buddy's has also been coined as one of the best pizzerias in the United States by the Food Network. If you ask any Detroiter where the best pizza place in Detroit is I guarantee just about everyone will say Buddy's. They've been in business for over 70 years.

abefroman329

When my in-laws lived in Holland, there were two really good local pizzerias, although neither was Detroit-style. The best Detroit-style pizza I've had was in Austin, of all places (I've never been to Detroit as an adult).

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 30, 2018, 08:27:31 PM
When my in-laws lived in Holland, there were two really good local pizzerias, although neither was Detroit-style. The best Detroit-style pizza I've had was in Austin, of all places (I've never been to Detroit as an adult).
For Detroit style around here Jet's is the best. I'm pretty sure Jet's is almost strictly in Michigan though. There is another chain called Happy's Pizza and I would turn anyone away that even wanted to try that crap out. I heard they have new owners now but they at least use to use expired food products and the pizza's were not good anyway. The founder of Happy's is currently in prison for fraud.

Big John

Flint1979

Quote from: Big John on December 30, 2018, 09:54:40 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 30, 2018, 09:49:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Jet's is almost strictly in Michigan though.
Located in 20 states: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet%27s_Pizza
I've never seen one outside of Michigan. Wasn't aware they were that big of a chain.

RobbieL2415

hotdogPi

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 30, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
Why is Boston Market still around?

Why wouldn't they be? While I don't personally go there, there's nothing wrong with them.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 30, 2018, 09:59:23 PM
I've never seen one outside of Michigan. Wasn't aware they were that big of a chain.

Didn't know that they had locations down south. Don't know if and when we'll stop at one, though.

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 30, 2018, 10:41:15 PM

Didn't know that they had locations down south. Don't know if and when we'll stop at one, though.
There are two locations in my town and I've had them before. I'm not a huge pizza lover but I'll eat it once in awhile. The Jet's by my house though are pretty good. I don't think the Detroit style pizza concept has really caught on nationally though but here in Michigan it's a thing. I wouldn't discourage you from trying one they are pretty good at least the locations I have tried them at are. One Michigan pizza chain I will discourage anyone from eating at is Happy's Pizza. Bunch of legal problems there the owner is in prison for fraud and they use expired products.

abefroman329

Because the elderly have to eat too. Same reason Bakers Square and Perkins are still around.

abefroman329

There are several in Chicago and I ordered delivery from one in Columbus when I was there on business a few years ago.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on December 30, 2018, 10:37:03 PM

Why wouldn't they be? While I don't personally go there, there's nothing wrong with them.

They were a bit on the fence in the 1990's, especially when they expanded from Boston Chicken to Boston Market, but actually rebounded nicely and serve a quality product.  They probably were a little bit ahead of their time when fast food was still the go-to takeout food, but when the fast-casual type restaurants started infiltrating the market, such as Chipotles and Panara Breads, Boston Market fell right into line with them.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 31, 2018, 07:57:29 AM

They were a bit on the fence in the 1990's, especially when they expanded from Boston Chicken to Boston Market, but actually rebounded nicely and serve a quality product.  They probably were a little bit ahead of their time when fast food was still the go-to takeout food, but when the fast-casual type restaurants started infiltrating the market, such as Chipotles and Panara Breads, Boston Market fell right into line with them.
McDonald's probably saved them when they bought them.

vdeane

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 30, 2018, 07:51:14 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on December 30, 2018, 07:38:35 PM
Papa Johns isn't going under unless college kids spontaneously stop eating pizza.
Or the start going somewhere else to get it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I didn't realize they still were!  Man, I wish there were a Boston Market in Wichita...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dvferyance

They recently closed the one by me. There is now only one left I know of around here.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 02:28:34 PM

I didn't realize they still were!  Man, I wish there were a Boston Market in Wichita...

I noticed recently the one near a childhood home is still there. I ate there once as a kid and never went back. It's the only one I can think of still in MSP. There was one down the street from one of my other homes as a kid that's long gone.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.