News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-73 in VA

Started by 74/171FAN, June 04, 2009, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Strider on May 27, 2016, 11:57:11 PM
There you go:

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/opinion/virginia-senator-i--effort-alive-in-region/article_0469865e-2442-11e6-9261-7f31c381fab8.html

Didn't he get the memo that I-73 is dead in MI, OH and WV? His intentions are good and he talks a good game, but I still have my doubts for reasons I've already mentioned. I wish him luck. He's damn sure gonna need it. Also, I thought the final routing of I-73 was already chosen and approved by the FHWA in 2012?

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on May 28, 2016, 06:00:53 AM
Quote from: Strider on May 27, 2016, 11:57:11 PM
There you go:

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/opinion/virginia-senator-i--effort-alive-in-region/article_0469865e-2442-11e6-9261-7f31c381fab8.html

Didn't he get the memo that I-73 is dead in MI, OH and WV? His intentions are good and he talks a good game, but I still have my doubts for reasons I've already mentioned. I wish him luck. He's damn sure gonna need it. Also, I thought the final routing of I-73 was already chosen and approved by the FHWA in 2012?

Yeah, he didn't get the memo that I-73 is dead in Ohio and Michigan.

West Virginia is building their portion but not as a interstate. It is still built on a proposed routing of I-73. So they can revive that plan later if they like.

My point is that.. if he didn't give up, nobody should. It is going to be a interesting next couple of months.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Strider on May 27, 2016, 11:53:07 PM

There you go:

This confirms what my post in reply 145 was talking about.   The kill I-73 now crowd is in Henry County.

The nuance I did not pick up on is that there is some money that must be spent by Sept and so Henry County can influence whether it can go towards something that I-73 can use later.  And the Henry County guy made it sound like there was an industrial park that could be connected...

The easternmost 3 miles of I-526 was done this way...built as a 2-lane road on a 4-lane ROW identified as the future 526 path to connect the Wando Port.

I am not anti-I73.  But in a universe that does not have unlimited resources, it would not be as high on my list of things for VDOT to spend a big pile of $ on as some needs that exist right now.

The Ghostbuster

What would the impacts be to upgrade existing US 220 to Interstate Standards, and would such an undertaking be possible?

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 28, 2016, 02:24:54 PM
What would the impacts be to upgrade existing US 220 to Interstate Standards, and would such an undertaking be possible?

Good question. It is still possible, but I know that they did a study on this.. and I can't remember what is the result from that. I am sure someone will chime in.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 28, 2016, 12:08:51 PM

There you go:

This confirms what my post in reply 145 was talking about.   The kill I-73 now crowd is in Henry County.

The nuance I did not pick up on is that there is some money that must be spent by Sept and so Henry County can influence whether it can go towards something that I-73 can use later.  And the Henry County guy made it sound like there was an industrial park that could be connected...

The easternmost 3 miles of I-526 was done this way...built as a 2-lane road on a 4-lane ROW identified as the future 526 path to connect the Wando Port.

I am not anti-I73.  But in a universe that does not have unlimited resources, it would not be as high on my list of things for VDOT to spend a big pile of $ on as some needs that exist right now.

I don't think it's kill it.  I think it's more impatience and the September deadline - similar to the I-73 funds in South Carolina.  They want it built as soon as possible.  They have $8.5 million and are afraid of it not being used for the business park they have been tying to I-73.  If what they do lays the ground work for a conversion to I-73 all the better.   

I think Mr. Ressell is more crestfallen because of his personal involvement versus taking a step back on it.

Post Merge: May 28, 2016, 03:40:40 PM

Also Ressel said the road would be state owned and maintained - well yeah, unless it was a private toll road of course.  When I first read the article something said no there's more to it than what Mr. Ressel implied. 

CanesFan27

There you go:

The $8.5 million is from a combination of various earmarks summarized here:

June 09, 1998
-  Congress reauthorizes the federal transportation bill as TEA-21.  I-73
earmarks for Fiscal Years 1998-2003 included: $6 million for construction of I-73 from Roanoke
to the NC line and two line items totaling $4 million to conduct Preliminary Engineering on I-73
from Roanoke to the NC line.  In addition to this allocated federal money, Virginia kicked in an
additional 25 percent to cover its required match. The U.S. and Virginia I-73 earmarks totaled
approximately $12.5 million for FY "˜98-"˜03

Source: http://www.bredl.org/pdf4/I-73_Timeline.pdf 

I'm guessing the difference between the $8.5 that Mr. Russel mentioned and the $12.5 allocated is the preliminary engineering study.  Unfortunately, the $8.5 million won't really allow anything to be built - either a spur from US 58 north to the proposed business park or even a spur southward towards Ridgeway and US 220 at the NC state line. 

Strider

Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 28, 2016, 02:39:42 PM

There you go:

I don't think it's kill it.  I think it's more impatience and the September deadline - similar to the I-73 funds in South Carolina.  They want it built as soon as possible.  They have $8.5 million and are afraid of it not being used for the business park they have been tying to I-73.  If what they do lays the ground work for a conversion to I-73 all the better.   

I think Mr. Ressell is more crestfallen because of his personal involvement versus taking a step back on it.

Also Ressel said the road would be state owned and maintained - well yeah, unless it was a private toll road of course.  When I first read the article something said no there's more to it than what Mr. Ressel implied.

Yeah, I am thinking they will just build it to expressway standards (even though there is a freeway section of US 220 on the west side of Martinsville) and then upgrade it later when money comes. We will see how that plan goes.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on May 28, 2016, 05:03:56 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 28, 2016, 02:39:42 PM

There you go:

Yeah, I am thinking they will just build it to expressway standards (even though there is a freeway section of US 220 on the west side of Martinsville) and then upgrade it later when money comes. We will see how that plan goes.

Well...it's a start, I suppose.  :hmm:

CanesFan27

Blog entry pretty much summarizing everything and pointing to what I believe is the reason why Henry County raised the white flag - they want something anything built to connect to the Patriot Centre Business Park.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2016/05/is-interstate-73-dead-in-virginia.html

Bitmapped

Quote from: Strider on May 28, 2016, 10:02:51 AM
West Virginia is building their portion but not as a interstate. It is still built on a proposed routing of I-73. So they can revive that plan later if they like.

West Virginia doesn't really have any plans to build anything beyond finishing the section between US 52 and WV 123 near Bluefield and from the WV 44 connector into Gilbert. WVDOH has severe funding difficulties, the coal mining they were hoping to use to cut costs isn't really economically feasible anymore, and population in the area is collapsing. These projects aren't on WV's radar screen.

The sections that WV has built have at-grade intersections and development along the roadway. It's not practical to upgrade them to freeways. I-73 in WV is dead.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 28, 2016, 08:40:17 PM
The sections that WV has built have at-grade intersections and development along the roadway. It's not practical to upgrade them to freeways. I-73 in WV is dead.

Its not dead... only in hibernation.  :sleep:

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 29, 2016, 07:13:55 PM

If they have to, they can just co-sign it with I-64 and I-77.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

LM117

I-73 in WV will only come out of hibernation if VA builds their part from I-81 to the WV state line and even then, since OH and MI have said they have no interest in building I-73, where would it end in WV? Considering the fact that I-73 is currently on life support from Roanoke to NC, I'd say I-73 in WV is...

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on May 29, 2016, 08:19:51 PM

I-73 in WV will only come out of hibernation if VA builds their part from I-81 to the WV state line and even then, since OH and MI have said they have no interest in building I-73, where would it end in WV? Considering the fact that I-73 is currently on life support from Roanoke to NC, I'd say I-73 in WV is...

I don't expect I-73 to go beyond Roanoke, so I am not worried about what WV, MI or OH do. The approved corridor is for VA, NC and SC.

But, if other states decide to revive I-73 (and I-74), they may do so. But again, something has to be done or they'll lose money. If they cannot build a interstate sooner, build a expressway and upgrade it when money comes. That should satisfy the demands this time at the same time getting the project to go. Hopefully they can get it done.

hbelkins

Do I need to point out the utter stupidity in building an expressway between Martinsville and Roanoke when there is already a four-lane expressway (US 220) that adequately serves the corridor?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MazdaStrider

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2016, 02:26:55 PM
Do I need to point out the utter stupidity in building an expressway between Martinsville and Roanoke when there is already a four-lane expressway (US 220) that adequately serves the corridor?

I don't know what your beef is, we were just discussing things. no need for trying to point out the utter stupidity here. People built things and it happens. get over it.

The Ghostbuster

That is why I suggested possibly upgrading existing 220 between Roanoke and Martinsville, instead of building a whole new roadway.

Mapmikey

Upgrading US 220 itself north of Boones Mill to a freeway would be a challenge.

South of there the terrain is a lot better...

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 01, 2016, 06:11:26 PM
That is why I suggested possibly upgrading existing 220 between Roanoke and Martinsville, instead of building a whole new roadway.

I believe they did a study on that before? I don't know, but that would probably be a little cheaper.

hbelkins

Quote from: MazdaStrider on May 31, 2016, 02:43:09 PM

I don't know what your beef is, we were just discussing things. no need for trying to point out the utter stupidity here. People built things and it happens. get over it.

My beef is that this is a totally stupid and wasteful project. The US 220 expressway four-lane corridor is perfectly adequate for the Roanoke-to-Martinsville-to-Greensboro corridor. The idea that a parallel freeway is needed is absurd. Making it a toll road would be even more absurd because I have the feeling most traffic would shunpike it in favor of 220.

I'm glad this bad idea is dead. There are certainly more worthwhile projects in rural Virginia, such as finishing Corridor H, the US 58 widening, and the Coalfields Expressway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quotesuch as finishing Corridor H,

By the numbers, I-73 is a better project than Corridor H in Virginia, so you might want to reevaluate this statement...

MazdaStrider

Quote from: hbelkins on June 02, 2016, 12:14:40 AM
Quote from: MazdaStrider on May 31, 2016, 02:43:09 PM

My beef is that this is a totally stupid and wasteful project. The US 220 expressway four-lane corridor is perfectly adequate for the Roanoke-to-Martinsville-to-Greensboro corridor. The idea that a parallel freeway is needed is absurd. Making it a toll road would be even more absurd because I have the feeling most traffic would shunpike it in favor of 220.

I'm glad this bad idea is dead. There are certainly more worthwhile projects in rural Virginia, such as finishing Corridor H, the US 58 widening, and the Coalfields Expressway.

Except it is not dead. It is shelved for time being.

wdcrft63

Virginia might look at the possibility of building the Ridgeway Bypass section of the I-73 corridor. This ought to be a useful improvement over US 220 and it ought to be fundable in a reasonable time.

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 02, 2016, 05:38:23 PM
Virginia might look at the possibility of building the Ridgeway Bypass section of the I-73 corridor. This ought to be a useful improvement over US 220 and it ought to be fundable in a reasonable time.

Yeah they should at least get it to start off by building a Ridgeway Bypass section of I-73 corridor from NC border to US 58 bypass first or the Patriot Centre connector first. It shouldn't cost that much.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.