News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bing Maps

Started by Alex, June 01, 2009, 08:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

FYI:

When you type in maps.live.com, you are taken to http://www.bing.com/maps/. Bing replaced live.com overall.

Unfortunately this means, that like mapquest maps, the window for maps is now wide-screen with significant space allocated to top and bottom margins. The bird's eye view and other options however remain.

akotchi

^  I just noticed this today.  Who is Bing?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

WillWeaverRVA

No clue, but Bing is Microsoft's latest attempt to compete with Google. Odds are they picked it because it seems like a simple yet catchy name.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Michael

Quote from: AARoads on June 01, 2009, 08:42:02 PM
Unfortunately this means, that like mapquest maps, the window for maps is now wide-screen with significant space allocated to top and bottom margins. The bird's eye view and other options however remain.

I don't get a widescreen layout there at all.  It looks like Live Search Maps with new graphics.  Just replace the word "Live" with "Bing" for Microsoft's former "Live" services.

vdeane

For stuff other than search that's exactly what happened.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hellfighter

bing is just the new name for windows live, that's it.

deathtopumpkins

Not to mention Bing just sounds frankly retarded... But Google is better in every way anyway, so I never much bother with Live/Bing.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

Not better in EVERY way.  There are three advantages that Live (sic Bing) has:  first, in many areas (especially rural areas) they have higher-resolution aerial imagery, even if it's older imagery from Terraserver.  Second, they have that "aerial view", which IMO is better than Google's Street View if you're trying to get the bigger picture.  Third, Bing shows county lines.....Google Maps doesn't (and is one of my biggest peeves with Google Maps).

That said, I tend to stick with Google Maps under normal conditions.

Truvelo

I've always found Live Maps to be slow in the past so I've used Google but since the changeover to Bing it's a lot more responsive without waiting ages for the maps to load.

The only problem I find with Bing is although more areas are covered in high resolution the imagery tends to be much older. For example take a look here and notice the development around Coton Park Drive and Central Park is just fields on the aerial view. These streets have been there for around five years.
Speed limits limit life

Hellfighter

The doorbell goes... BING!  :spin:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2009, 06:44:24 AM
first, in many areas (especially rural areas) they have higher-resolution aerial imagery, even if it's older imagery from Terraserver.  Second, they have that "aerial view", which IMO is better than Google's Street View if you're trying to get the bigger picture.

Those are key reasons why I opt for Bing/Live Maps over Google in certain circumstances. There are some cases (though fairly uncommon) where Google Street View does not cover a particular area that IS covered by Bing's aerial view, which is a decent fallback option.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.