Changes to the Interstate Guide

Started by Alex, June 09, 2009, 03:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

We are nearing completion of a cosmetic makeover to the Interstate Guide web site. All Interstate pages are now changed over, leaving just the Business Route guides and Interstate Shield Gallery in the old format.

I tried to add history for most Interstate guides that did not already have some information already during this process--If anyone can help me with a blurb about Interstate 244 Oklahoma, Interstate 470 Missouri, or Interstate 12, please pm me or post what you have here. Credit will be given.

I updated most of the future Interstate guides to reflect more current information or slated opening dates. I also added imagery where I could, and intend on going back to many of the other pages to make needed changes and image additions. As for submissions, many of the pages are "complete" as they are, and therefore I am not actively requesting any additional photo submissions at this time. Some pruning of existing pages will also occur (removal of subpar imagery [grainy, blurry, bad context, etc.], multiple shots of the same scene, etc.).

This week the Interstate Shield Gallery will be shut down and redirects implemented to the new AARoads Shield Gallery. All of the images currently on the Ishield Gallery are already hosted on the new gallery.

One small addition to the Iguide website I have decided to "complete" is the Turnpikes and Tollways listing. Its just a list with links to pertinent pages (either on AARoads or elsewhere)...I am sure I missed some defunct toll facilities :-o, so don't hesitate to add more here.

WillWeaverRVA

I really, really like that new layout - it looks really sharp! :)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

The Business Route Guides are now switched over and all Interstate Shield Galleries now redirect to Jake's Shield Gallery @ AARoads.

I also updated the Interstate 279 and 376 pages to reflect the westward extension of I-376.

FLRoads

For those who may be interested, I have added a future Interstate 422 page to the Interstate Guide for the proposed Northern Beltline freeway near Birmingham, Alabama. The 52-mile northern Birmingham area beltway from Bessemer to Trussville unofficially received the Interstate 422 designation from a state representative, as reported in an article from the Birmingham News.

Lyle

It doesn't look like you changed the Interstate 280 New Jersey page over.

Alex

Quote from: Lyle on June 21, 2009, 10:40:07 PM
It doesn't look like you changed the Interstate 280 New Jersey page over.

Just didn't get uploaded, its changed now.

rickmastfan67

You guys interested in pictures of the current setup for the Southern end of Florida I-295 in Jacksonville?  I have several from trips down there.

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 22, 2009, 11:52:46 PM
You guys interested in pictures of the current setup for the Southern end of Florida I-295 in Jacksonville?  I have several from trips down there.

We'll get back to you on that... I've driven through there a number of times during the past few years and have covered several of the perspectives but never posted any of the images.

Did a small update otherwise, adding four of Synthetic Dreamer's pics of Interstate 295 in Virginia: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-295_va.html

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: AARoads on June 24, 2009, 02:29:23 AM
Did a small update otherwise, adding four of Synthetic Dreamer's pics of Interstate 295 in Virginia: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-295_va.html

Thanks! I'll get some more photos of the northern terminus this weekend, maybe later today.

By the way, I took the photos on 5/31/09, not 3/31.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Lyle

The Interstate 280 New Jersey page still doesn't look right. The pictures don't seem to go along with the captions.

Alex

Quote from: Lyle on June 27, 2009, 05:25:06 PM
The Interstate 280 New Jersey page still doesn't look right. The pictures don't seem to go along with the captions.

I'll clean up that page in my next update and Interstate 495 Delaware, which has some html problems.

WillWeaverRVA

I have more photos for you (yes, more I-295 Virginia... :p); I'll put them on Picasa when I'm done with them.
Will Weaver

Alex

Sounds good, let me know when they are up and I will update the gallery. Do you have any south end photos at all? I'll have to see what I have for I-195 and VA-895 at some point too.

WillWeaverRVA

No south end photos yet, I have actually never been there during the daytime - closest I've come is the end of I-85, which I also have photos of, but it isn't any different save for Clearview signs.

I think I have plenty of I-195 and VA 895, so I should be able to send them you way if you should need them.

EDIT: http://picasaweb.google.com/coredesat/Interstate295VANorthernTerminus# - There you go. All of them are from 6/28/09, but there's one in there from January. :p
Will Weaver

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on June 29, 2009, 12:30:21 AM
No south end photos yet, I have actually never been there during the daytime - closest I've come is the end of I-85, which I also have photos of, but it isn't any different save for Clearview signs.

I think I have plenty of I-195 and VA 895, so I should be able to send them you way if you should need them.

EDIT: http://picasaweb.google.com/coredesat/Interstate295VANorthernTerminus# - There you go. All of them are from 6/28/09, but there's one in there from January. :p

I see you had a little bit of rain (we finally had some today...). Decent photos, I'll be posting these soon on the Interstate 295 Virginia page. Thanks for shooting them!

Also on tap is an update for Interstate 280 New Jersey.

WillWeaverRVA

No problem. Unfortunately, I couldn't dodge the rain, and I didn't have time to do it today (which was a much nicer day).
Will Weaver

NJRoadfan

Alex

The Interstate 280 New Jersey page probably was hosed in server issues we had several years ago. I'm working on updating it with replacement photos and will get the the proper acknowledges sorted out!

I just noticed that njroads.net was down, I hope you get it back online soon!

Lyle

As for the Interstate 280 New Jersey page, it looks like you moved all the pictures to a new directory and somehow the old pictures from before your April 2007 update resurfaced.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: AARoads on June 30, 2009, 11:18:46 PM
I just noticed that njroads.net was down, I hope you get it back online soon!

Hopefully soon, just have to find the right hosting. The site went offline when the friend I split the hosting with decided to leave 1&1, which was a mess unto itself. If anyone here has 1&1, good luck dealing with their billing department and trying to leave. (google NCO and 1&1 )

Alex

I revamped the Interstate 280 New Jersey Interstate Guide today. All of the photo discrepancies are fixed and I simplified the end coverage.

To go with this update, I created guides on northeastroads for both east and westbound from separate trips taken in 2005.

Alex

WillWeaverRVA

Sweet! Thanks. :D

EDIT: Erm, uh oh...

QuoteLeaving the stack interchange with Virginia 288 and Goochland County, Interstate 64 enters Henrico County and approaches the eastbound beginning of Interstate 64.

I-64 can't approach the eastbound beginning of itself...well, it can, but it's not in this case. :p
Will Weaver

Lyle

I notice you updated the Interstate 295 Delaware/ New Jersey page. I like the new images, but what happened to all those pictures of the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on July 02, 2009, 08:33:58 PM
Sweet! Thanks. :D

EDIT: Erm, uh oh...

QuoteLeaving the stack interchange with Virginia 288 and Goochland County, Interstate 64 enters Henrico County and approaches the eastbound beginning of Interstate 64.

I-64 can't approach the eastbound beginning of itself...well, it can, but it's not in this case. :p

Doh! Corrected this.

Quote from: Lyle on July 03, 2009, 12:38:23 AM
I notice you updated the Interstate 295 Delaware/ New Jersey page. I like the new images, but what happened to all those pictures of the Delaware Memorial Bridge?

Thanks! We hope to add improved images to many of the guides over the coming weeks and months.

Photos of the Delaware Memorial Bridge will primarily reside on the Interstate 295 Delaware and New Jersey pages (the NJ pages need updating and I have photos in the queue). Otherwise many are already posted here and here. In an effort to simplify some of these pages, I am pruning photos that don't really pertain to the Interstate end or go well beyond the typical two-mile threshold for advance signage of an end.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.