News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-5 Rose Quarter (Portland) Widening Project

Started by mcarling, February 18, 2015, 01:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Governor Kate Brown has secured the blessing of Metro President Lynn Peterson and Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty for the Rose Quarter widening.

https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2022/02/10/gov-kate-brown-wins-agreement-from-local-elected-officials-for-rose-quarter-project-with-highway-caps/

compdude787

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on January 21, 2022, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on January 20, 2022, 07:19:01 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 20, 2022, 06:12:25 PM
Maybe the 4-lane segments of Interstate 5 in the Portland-area should have been 6 lanes from the time the freeway was first constructed. Freeways with 4 lanes within an urban area such as Portland seems to be too little capacity to me, unless the freeway is a spur route.
In most cities, a freeway like this would have 8 lanes.

That's the amazing part about this debate. The climate warriors in Portland are like NO WE CAN'T HAVE ANY FREEWAY BEYOND 4 LANES OR THE PLANET WILL DIE but, you know, have they been anywhere else!?

Yep, Portland's freeways are really narrow compared to all other cities on the west coast. Most of them are just 3 lanes in each direction (aside from the part on I-5 between I-205 and OR 217, which is 4-5 lanes in each direction), which is the absolute minimum for an urban freeway IMO.

I really don't have much of a problem with widening this stretch of freeway, but it's just crazy that widening just a mile of road is going to cost a billion dollars.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kernals12 on February 11, 2022, 01:23:48 PM
Governor Kate Brown has secured the blessing of Metro President Lynn Peterson and Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty for the Rose Quarter widening.

https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2022/02/10/gov-kate-brown-wins-agreement-from-local-elected-officials-for-rose-quarter-project-with-highway-caps/
That article kind of gives me mixed thoughts. They are wanting to reduce the median size to ensure additional lanes can't be added? That's utterly ridiculous.

Alps

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 13, 2022, 03:48:48 AM

That article kind of gives me mixed thoughts. They are wanting to reduce the median size to ensure additional lanes can't be added? That's utterly ridiculous.
I know, because you are rabidly pro-highway to the exclusion of all else. Reducing the median size saves a lot of money in ROW and construction, so it's reasonable. Whatever motives there are now, it can be revisited in the future if further widening is deemed warranted.

kernals12

It's remarkable that after all the crap about induced demand and climate change, they still sign on to a freeway expansion. It's proof that they don't really believe in that.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on February 13, 2022, 11:17:04 AM
It's remarkable that after all the crap about induced demand and climate change, they still sign on to a freeway expansion. It's proof that they don't really believe in that.

Who's "they" here?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Quote from: Rothman on February 13, 2022, 12:35:37 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on February 13, 2022, 11:17:04 AM

Who's "they" here?

Lynn Peterson and Jo Ann Hardesty had been pushing hard on the dogma that more lanes would only mean more congestion and that the carbon emissions would destroy life as we know it.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Alps on February 13, 2022, 10:42:07 AM
I know, because you are rabidly pro-highway to the exclusion of all else.
[/quote]
Do you even read my posts? Because if you did you'd know that's bullshit. I support mass and active transit all the time. I ride the red line in LA several times a week. What makes you think I don't support anything but freeway expansion?

Sub-Urbanite

I mean, here's the deal. The opponents are going to say "that center median is a SECRET ODOT LANE AND THIS 8-LANE PROJECT MUST DIE" if they build the 12 foot median. It takes some air out of the climate histrionics without actually affecting the project. And, let's be honest: There's no extra lane going in there ever anyway. Not unless Portland has a major shift in politics in the next half-century.

kernals12

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 14, 2022, 11:29:17 AM

I mean, here's the deal. The opponents are going to say "that center median is a SECRET ODOT LANE AND THIS 8-LANE PROJECT MUST DIE" if they build the 12 foot median. It takes some air out of the climate histrionics without actually affecting the project. And, let's be honest: There's no extra lane going in there ever anyway. Not unless Portland has a major shift in politics in the next half-century.

Portlanders voted against a tax increase in November 2020 meant to expand transit. They are going ahead with widening the I-5 Bridge over the Columbia to 10 lanes. Portland's politics are already shifting.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: kernals12 on February 14, 2022, 07:20:32 PM
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 14, 2022, 11:29:17 AM

Portlanders voted against a tax increase in November 2020 meant to expand transit. They are going ahead with widening the I-5 Bridge over the Columbia to 10 lanes. Portland's politics are already shifting.

I would be stunned if the Columbia River bridge gets built at 10 lanes. And it's not just the electorate. The transportation advocacy community has a ton of power here. It doesn't translate to ballot measures (beyond Portland proper) but it still connects with the people who get elected into office.

compdude787

Nothing wrong with that. I highly doubt an additional lane will be built for at least 40-50 years, if ever, by which time the whole road will need to be rebuilt anyway. And besides, this project is already getting too expensive, so I'm all for anything to cut costs.

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 15, 2022, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on February 14, 2022, 07:20:32 PM

I would be stunned if the Columbia River bridge gets built at 10 lanes. And it's not just the electorate. The transportation advocacy community has a ton of power here. It doesn't translate to ballot measures (beyond Portland proper) but it still connects with the people who get elected into office.

Yeah, if they don't plan on widening I-5 between I-405 and the Columbia River, then it doesn't make sense to make it 10 lanes. Otherwise the 6-lane section through north Portland will just become a bottleneck. Making it 8 lanes is fine, especially considering that the traffic counts are 130,000 vpd. Oh, and adding light rail on the bridge is something that should definitely happen. Hopefully this time people in Clark County won't throw a big fit over it.

kernals12

The Portland City Council has given its blessing!

Plutonic Panda

New survey is up and boy howdy are the anti car crowd up in arms I've been getting slammed on Twitter with death threats and endless ad hominem attacks for vocalizing my support for this project.

https://i5rosequarter.org/

kernals12

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 30, 2022, 05:58:24 PM
New survey is up and boy howdy are the anti car crowd up in arms I've been getting slammed on Twitter with death threats and endless ad hominem attacks for vocalizing my support for this project.

They're lashing out because they're losing.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kernals12 on August 30, 2022, 09:18:49 PM

I'm just hoping ODOT doesn't cave. Traffic will improve once this, the I-205(not happy about the tolling), and I-5 Columbia river bridge projects are finished.

kernals12

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 30, 2022, 09:50:12 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on August 30, 2022, 09:18:49 PM

I'm just hoping ODOT doesn't cave. Traffic will improve once this, the I-205(not happy about the tolling), and I-5 Columbia river bridge projects are finished.

This project has the support of all levels of government and most of the public.

The opposition consists of a few dozen bored trust fund babies with blue hair and nose piercings.

Plutonic Panda

Good news from an email I received:

QuotePORTLAND — ODOT will share results from a public opinion survey conducted this summer to the Historic Albina Advisory Board during their meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 4 p.m.

The survey found support for the I-5 Rose Quarter Improvement Project is strong. More than three-quarters (76%) support the project, including a third (30%) who strongly support the project.

Key survey findings include:

Nearly 9 in 10 (86%) respondents say it is important to undertake a project to address traffic and congestion in the Rose Quarter.
86% believe shoulders for disabled vehicles to move out of traffic and for emergency responder use are a good idea.
81% believe auxiliary lanes to allow drivers to enter and exit the highway without merging through traffic are a good idea.
Strong majorities also believe that new bike and pedestrian paths, building a highway cover, and a ramp relocation are good ideas.
Respondents were shown short statements about the goals of the I-5 Rose Quarter Improvement Project. 86% agreed it is important to "Improve safety, manage congestion, improve travel time reliability, provide multiple transportation options, and connect communities and job centers across the region."
About a third of respondents feel traffic has gotten worse in the Rose Quarter compared to pre-pandemic levels and more than half feel it is likely to get worse.
The survey of 624 adults in Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties was conducted online June 13-21, 2022. The margin of error for a survey of 624 interviews is ±3.9% at the 95% confidence level for each individual sample.

The Historic Albina Advisory Board meeting can be viewed via livestream at this link Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 4 p.m.: https://youtu.be/7gujCv0o4wA

Plutonic Panda

Next public meeting November 15th per an email I received:

QuoteI-5 Rose Quarter Improvement Project November Meeting
November 8, 2022

For more information, please contact Rose Gerber, 503-779-6927, Rose.Gerber@odot.oregon.gov.

The public is invited to attend an upcoming meeting for the I-5 Rose Quarter Improvement Project:

On Tuesday, November 15, the Historic Albina Advisory Board (HAAB) will meet online at 4:00 p.m.
The meeting will be livestreamed on YouTube. Please visit the project's events and meetings page for more information.

Anyone can observe the meeting and share comments via email, phone or online:

Email comments on specific agenda items to i5rosequarter@odot.oregon.gov with "HAAB Public Comment"  in the subject line.
Submit comments via phone at the project's hotline: 503-470-3127.
The facilitator will also provide an opportunity for online participants to provide comments during the meeting for up to two minutes via phone (the number is provided at the beginning of the meeting and listed on the events and meetings page).
Comments received by 11:00 a.m. the business day before the meeting will be shared with advisory committee members in advance. All written and voice recorded comments received will be added to the meeting record.

All project committee meetings are open to the public. If you wish to attend a virtual meeting but cannot attend by phone or computer, or you require language accommodations, please contact the project team at 503-470-3127 at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting.

Bruce

The Historic Albina Advisory Board meets every few months to discuss recommendations for the project's lid and reconciliation elements. This is not exactly a major meeting.

Bruce

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.