News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former names you use without meaning to

Started by Pete from Boston, February 26, 2015, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Looking at a receipt today that said "FedEx Office" on it, I immediately referred to it as a receipt from Kinko's.  This was not a conscious effort.

Folks who have been around here long enough often refer to the supermarket Market Basket as "Demoulas'" after the owning family whose name the stores once carried but no longer do.

And I still use the phrase "Giants Stadium" in conversation to refer to the place the New York Giants currently play.

What superseded names do you use without thinking about it?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2015, 01:50:51 PM
In before 128.

128 is still in use.  I'm thinking of names completely replaced.

Changed thread title to better reflect that.

Dr Frankenstein

I still frequently use "Ottawa River Parkway" without meaning it, and it's as if Canadiens de Montréal Avenue didn't exist (I still call it Gauchetière all the time).

My family still gets onto A-30 from 132/201 in Valleyfield, as well as from 132 in Saint-Constant.

1995hoo

These first three are/were intentional:

–I refer to the former Hecht's stores around here as "Hecht's" (they're now Macy's).

–I refer to Washington's NBA team as the Bullets, their old name. They've never played well enough to distinguish themselves from the bad Bullets teams I saw when I was growing up (indeed, of all the NBA banners at Verizon Center, NONE were won by a team named "Wizards"). I also find the name "Wizards" amusing in a majority-black city because it makes me picture a basketball team dressed in Klan regalia. Maybe Donald Sterling should buy them!

–Back when the old Capital Centre arena's name was changed to US Air Arena (and then US Airways Arena) I never stopped calling it the Capital Centre. Ultimately after the Capitals and Bullets moved downtown to the then-new MCI Center, US Air pulled the sponsorship and the building went back to being the Capital Centre, so I figure I had it right all along.

–I sometimes still refer to the NBC Sports Network as Versus, its old name. Sometimes it's just because I forget, but the old name is shorter and easier to type.

–I have been known to give directions by noting things like "turn right where Magruder's used to be, then turn right again at the next stop sign." Sometimes this is because I can't remember what replaced the former business; other times it's simply because that's how I think of a location and I can't be bothered to find out what moved in to replace the one that closed. But I do try to use additional landmarks in case someone doesn't know where Magruder's was (example: "After you pass under the overpass, take the next right turn where Magruder's used to be, then go right again at the next stop sign.").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

I've still occasionally refer to Martin Luther King Dr. in Philly as West River Drive.

It took me a few years to stop referring to Temple University's Liacouras Center as the Apollo Arena (its original name).

I've still referred the AT&T Station along SEPTA's Broad Street Line as Pattison.

Recently, I've referred to Jefferson Station along SEPTA's Regional Rail as Market East; granted, that name change happened only a few months back.

Many people still refer to US Airways as USAir despite the fact that the name change occurred back in 1997.  Such won't matter too much longer since it will be adopting the American Airlines name courtesy of the recent merger.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 26, 2015, 02:09:49 PM–I have been known to give directions by noting things like "turn right where Magruder's used to be, then turn right again at the next stop sign." Sometimes this is because I can't remember what replaced the former business; other times it's simply because that's how I think of a location and I can't be bothered to find out what moved in to replace the one that closed. But I do try to use additional landmarks in case someone doesn't know where Magruder's was (example: "After you pass under the overpass, take the next right turn where Magruder's used to be, then go right again at the next stop sign.").

You sure you're not from Boston?

vtk

Not that I talk about NASCAR too often, but if I don't stop to think about it, "Winston Cup"  and "Busch Series"  are likely to be the terms I use to distinguish the top two levels.

Sears Tower.

State Route 238 (Ohio).

Polaris Amphitheater.  (It even took me a few minutes to remember what the "new"  name was.)

In the event the naming rights go to someone else at some point, Nationwide Arena.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 26, 2015, 02:27:46 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 26, 2015, 02:09:49 PM–I have been known to give directions by noting things like "turn right where Magruder's used to be, then turn right again at the next stop sign." Sometimes this is because I can't remember what replaced the former business; other times it's simply because that's how I think of a location and I can't be bothered to find out what moved in to replace the one that closed. But I do try to use additional landmarks in case someone doesn't know where Magruder's was (example: "After you pass under the overpass, take the next right turn where Magruder's used to be, then go right again at the next stop sign.").

I listen to Boston, if that counts.

But the sort of thing I described is also very common in Charlottesville. I know people who refer to places using the names of businesses that closed 40+ years ago. No doubt part of this is because it's a university town and it's natural to think of it the way it was when you were in school.

BTW, I would also refer to "Winston Cup" and "Busch Series," although I watch F1 more than I watch NASCAR.

spooky

None. If I use an old name, I definitely mean to. I'm looking at you, Harborlights.

jwolfer

Outside Jacksonville there is a beach access in Ponte Vedra Beach called Micklers Landing, St Johns County made a nice parking facility and upgrades a few years ago. It used to be called Crossroads by all the surfers and Jax Beach locals. It was a quiet little paths to the beach.

You can tell who has been in Jax since the 90s if they call it Crossroads

spooky

Quote from: Takumi on February 26, 2015, 02:26:05 PM
NASCAR Busch Series, intentionally.

I was shocked to discover that 2007 was the last year of Busch sponsorship for NASCAR's 2nd tier. Maybe I'll start calling it the Nationwide Series now that it's the Xfinity Series.

jeffandnicole

MAC machine. Not an ATM.  When ATMs were first introduced, the Philly area machines were called MAC machines.  The name still sticks in this area.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 26, 2015, 02:33:37 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 26, 2015, 02:27:46 PM

I listen to Boston, if that counts.

But the sort of thing I described is also very common in Charlottesville. I know people who refer to places using the names of businesses that closed 40+ years ago. No doubt part of this is because it's a university town and it's natural to think of it the way it was when you were in school.

BTW, I would also refer to "Winston Cup" and "Busch Series," although I watch F1 more than I watch NASCAR.

I watch both about equally, but I simply call the main NACAR series the Cup series.

I also describe the location of the primary store I work at as "where the mall used to be".
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

spooky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2015, 03:03:10 PM
MAC machine. Not an ATM.  When ATMs were first introduced, the Philly area machines were called MAC machines.  The name still sticks in this area.

My father still refers to an ATM as a "Ready Freddy", because his first exposure to them was through Old Stone Bank in RI, which used the Flintstones in their branding and marketed their ATMs as such.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on February 26, 2015, 02:26:05 PM
NASCAR Busch Series, intentionally.

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 26, 2015, 02:33:37 PM

For some reason, that series will always be the Busch series to me. And "sprint cars" (lowercase "s") are what USAC used to call their open-wheel series, before the CART split of '79, so it never really stuck to me, even though I've never been a big fan of smokin' and drinkin', but old habits...Going back to calling them "Grand Nationals" would be a start, but that doesn't pay the bills.

I never liked calling the largest football stadium in Dade* County anything other than it's original name of Joe Robbie Stadium; even calling it "Dolphins Stadium" was a little odd when the Florida Marlins** also called it their home.

I don't think too many people ever call it "Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport", once the city of nearby Hollywood worked it's way into the name sometime in the mid-1990s.

* = There's another one
** = Take two

hbelkins

Daniel Boone Parkway instead of Hal Rogers Parkway.

Less frequently, Natcher Parkway instead of Green River Parkway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brian556

In Orlando, I'm sure some people still call the Beachline Expwy the "Beeline"

formulanone

Quote from: Brian556 on February 26, 2015, 03:51:05 PM

I thought that was a typo for about five years. It's the Beeline.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brian556 on February 26, 2015, 03:51:05 PM

I do, except I spell it as two words ("Bee Line") because that's how I recall the signs spelling it. Our relatives in the Melbourne/Viera and Fort Myers areas also call it the Bee Line, though I don't know how they spell it.

NE2

I deliberately call it the Bee Line (or 528).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Burma
Bombay
REA poles (occasionally, and on purpose)
Kinkos (not as often nowadays)
The artist once again known as Prince
COMISKEY PARK!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vtk

In downtown Columbus: City Center Garage.  Though it serves several attractions now, I think it's mostly associated with Columbus Commons (where City Center Mall previously stood) and the courthouse.  I'm not sure what its official name is now.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.