News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

McDonald's moonhead

Started by bandit957, January 25, 2020, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else remember these ridiculous commercials? They aired around 1988.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Didn't Moon Man turn into a mascot for white supremacists somehow?

ozarkman417

and some of these commercials became a meme around 2016-17 called "Moonman". It's essentially part of the ad being looped but the audio is replaced with text-to-speech saying absurdly racist stuff in the form of a song remix. Don't watch any of them unless you are fine with seeing extremely offensive content.

jakeroot

Wasn't alive yet, but wasn't the moonhead on TV for years?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ozarkman417 on January 25, 2020, 06:58:57 PM
and some of these commercials became a meme around 2016-17 called "Moonman". It's essentially part of the ad being looped but the audio is replaced with text-to-speech saying absurdly racist stuff in the form of a song remix. Don't watch any of them unless you are fine with seeing extremely offensive content.

Apparently it's much earlier than that.  There was even a Doom WAD file floating around out on the primitive internet known as the Moon Man WAD. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Tonight

I'm to understand the McDonald's character is known as "Mac Tonight."

TheHighwayMan3561

We had a McDonald's (now closed) with a Moonman sitting at a piano.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KEVIN_224

We used to have that on Asylum Street in Hartford, CT as well. It was directly across from the Civic Center (now the XL Center).

SP Cook

The point of the commercials was to get people the idea of eating fast food, specifically McDonald's for dinner, rather than lunch.  Good marketing idea, as the sales volume at a typical fast food place is quite low in the evenings. 

Similar ideas from the same era were Taco Bell thing to get people to eat a "fourth meal"  (early test versions of the ads used the Navy term "mid-rats"  ).  And most other fast food places trying to get through to people that they have breakfast too (McDonald's and Hardee's/Carl's Jr blow away most every one at breakfast).

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 26, 2020, 07:32:25 PM
We used to have that on Asylum Street in Hartford, CT as well. It was directly across from the Civic Center (now the XL Center).

Never went there.  Usually would go to the Wendy's before Whalers games, and if that was crowded, I'd either go down to the food court or get something inside (or for a rare treat, go to Chuck's or Margarita's nee Margaritaville).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 27, 2020, 10:50:28 AM

Never went there.  Usually would go to the Wendy's before Whalers games, and if that was crowded, I'd either go down to the food court or get something inside (or for a rare treat, go to Chuck's or Margarita's nee Margaritaville).
Didn't Margarita's shut down?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2020, 01:19:50 PM

There's still one in Methuen, MA.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

qguy

I remember those ads from when they aired. Was sad to see them disappear. IIRC they featured some nice jazz and were kinda cool.

1995hoo

I thought I recalled that moon guy (Mac Tonight, as has been mentioned) as being part of an adults-oriented ad campaign that ran in the mid-1990s, around the same time when McDonald's rolled out the ill-fated Arch Deluxe burger aimed at an older demographic. That would make sense, but a Google search tells me I'm wrong and that it was a late-1980s campaign.

This thread causes me to remember the McDLT ads featuring Jason Alexander before he became George Costanza.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2020, 01:20:38 PM

Also one in East Hartford and Mystic, CT.  The one in Branford closed down a few years ago.  There's also only a couple of Chuck's left (Rocky Hill, Danbury, Storrs, Auburn).  The ones in Farmington, CT and Southwick, MA are long gone.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ErmineNotyours

I worked for McDonald's for five years, and Mac Tonight happened during that time.  I got the pin and everything.

Stephane Dumas

I remember that one, here in Quebec, he was known as Pierrot McDo using as a reference, a French song composed by Claude Léveillé. It start at 1:01 in this clip.
https://youtu.be/cyT-P_m9tsM?t=61

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SP Cook on January 27, 2020, 09:15:38 AM
The point of the commercials was to get people the idea of eating fast food, specifically McDonald's for dinner, rather than lunch.  Good marketing idea, as the sales volume at a typical fast food place is quite low in the evenings. 

Dinner orders at fast food places can also be much more lucrative on a per order basis, as a family of 4 coming after school will obviously drop a lot more money than a guy coming in on his lunch break.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

And one at Destiny USA, assuming Margaritaville is the same thing.

23skidoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 25, 2020, 07:49:11 PM
We had a McDonald's (now closed) with a Moonman sitting at a piano.

Yes, I remember having a Happy Meal toy piano that played the tune to "Mack the Knife". I believe it came with a booklet with the lyrics to the "Mac Tonight" jingle.

spooky

Quote from: webny99 on January 29, 2020, 10:31:06 PM

And one at Destiny USA, assuming Margaritaville is the same thing.

no, it is not the same thing.

Terry

A compilation of Moon Man commercials, promotions and a parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrIg18Uby4E

bandit957

This was part of McDonald's "It's a good time for the great taste" campaign. This campaign also included the "It's coming" radio commercial that aired when a new location was about to open. Anyone else remember that? The old WLAP-FM in Lexington played it around 1988 when a new McDonald's in Georgetown was opening.

I think the next campaign was the "Food, folks, and fun" campaign.

Quality of fast food isn't as good now as it used to be, but it's much more expensive. People used to get McDonald's for dinner, especially if they were in a hurry. I remember around 1979, the one up the street from us opened, and we got carry-out meals there one evening because we were having guests over and wouldn't have time to have anything else. That was the same evening I injured my hand when I tried to punch my brother and he held up a book to block it. I was about 6.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GCrites

One of the McDonald's locations near me is really busy around dinnertime, but only the drive-through. The other locations aren't. I think it's because there's a lot of subdivisions near it full of parents that just don't want to deal with dinner.

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.