The I-65/70 North Split Reconstruction

Started by silverback1065, July 26, 2020, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Another batch of traffic cam photos:

INDOT TrafficWise camera
Sunday work. Lowering a long rebar cage into the forms for the middle bent of the bridge that will go across the railroads tracks and Ohio Street.

INDOT TrafficWise camera
Tons and tons of temporary barrier wall sections.

INDOT TrafficWise camera
Straddle bent bridge on the South Leg. The Pine Street ramp to I-70E will go under this bridge.

INDOT TrafficWise camera
Another work day begins.

silverback1065

the newest drone footage really shows most of the progress on the south side. it's going to be close but maybe they can make it in time! they are starting to build the MSE walls for the 65 bridges at college now.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 24, 2022, 08:22:14 PM
the newest drone footage really shows most of the progress on the south side. it's going to be close but maybe they can make it in time! they are starting to build the MSE walls for the 65 bridges at college now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvY7avLW4oA

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/indot-crews-are-working-toward-december-opening-of-the-north-split/

The completion and opening month (no date has been announced) of this project should be sometime in December 2022.

silverback1065

FixThe74Sign

That spokesperson seemed to be all over the place...

But I think this is the first "official" acknowledgment that the November opening date is not going to happen.

tdindy88

So we go from 18 months to 19 now. I really hope I'm wrong but I'm still waiting for the completion to be pushed to Spring 2023 with inflation mentioned as the cause.

This past Sunday I drove through the work zone and noticed no work being done. No wonder we're now pushing the completion date to December, we must make up for all those Sundays we're not going to work.

dvferyance

With the interstate shutdown through downtown I would have thought INDOT would have used common sense and not done any construction on 465. Wrong they did just that what a mess.

silverback1065

Quote from: dvferyance on September 25, 2022, 04:22:59 PM
With the interstate shutdown through downtown I would have thought INDOT would have used common sense and not done any construction on 465. Wrong they did just that what a mess.

It's not so bad, they only close lanes on 465 on the south side at night. during the rush hours it's all open.

dvferyance

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 25, 2022, 04:38:50 PM

It's not so bad, they only close lanes on 465 on the south side at night. during the rush hours it's all open.
I encountered construction on the northside by I-69.

silverback1065

Quote from: dvferyance on September 26, 2022, 07:06:31 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 25, 2022, 04:38:50 PM

I encountered construction on the northside by I-69.

yes, that is another badly needed project. it's only going to get worse though before it gets better.

tdindy88

So does anyone have any idea of the actual progress of this project. I know they're still working on it, I'm stuck in the traffic as a result of it every day and I've made some attempts to drive through part of it to see it, but what exactly still needs to be done?

I mean, I try to look up what's been going on but there isn't much in the way of photos or videos. Even their newsletters are not very helpful. The most recent one has one third dedicated to one specific detail of the current project (about Central Avenue being closed) another third highlighting one of their construction workers and one about a festival in downtown Indianapolis.

I got to get this off my chest, what's up with these people? Their Facebook page over the past few months has about half of their posts just about downtown events. This is a construction project, what about the construction? I absolutely love the I-69 Finish Line project on the other hand since they provide lots of updates about current progress and they actually tell you what that progress is. With this one I don't really have a clue on what's still to be worked on and we're only given a vague deadline of "end of the year" as to its completion.

I mean, I guess work is being done and I do see more work done on the weekends now but I just kind of wish I knew exactly what's remaining and wish they could communicate that better. Sorry if I seem to be ranting a bit this morning.

davewiecking

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 09, 2022, 10:08:15 AM
So does anyone have any idea of the actual progress of this project. I know they're still working on it, I'm stuck in the traffic as a result of it every day and I've made some attempts to drive through part of it to see it, but what exactly still needs to be done?

I mean, I try to look up what's been going on but there isn't much in the way of photos or videos. Even their newsletters are not very helpful. The most recent one has one third dedicated to one specific detail of the current project (about Central Avenue being closed) another third highlighting one of their construction workers and one about a festival in downtown Indianapolis.

I got to get this off my chest, what's up with these people? Their Facebook page over the past few months has about half of their posts just about downtown events. This is a construction project, what about the construction? I absolutely love the I-69 Finish Line project on the other hand since they provide lots of updates about current progress and they actually tell you what that progress is. With this one I don't really have a clue on what's still to be worked on and we're only given a vague deadline of "end of the year" as to its completion.

I mean, I guess work is being done and I do see more work done on the weekends now but I just kind of wish I knew exactly what's remaining and wish they could communicate that better. Sorry if I seem to be ranting a bit this morning.

https://511in.org/camera/520/@-86.16854,39.76393,13?show=incidents,normalCameras,weatherWarningsAreaEvents,plowCameras,flooding#camera/319/177556

That's what's going on.

cjw2001

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 09, 2022, 10:08:15 AM

Drone video is posted several times a week here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwvrC4D8U9EF-KGlxGYFDog/videos   Not hard to see progress and changes between videos.

tdindy88

Okay, I didn't know about the drone videos there on Youtube. I knew about the traffic cameras, I guess I wasn't sure if this was on-schedule or not.

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 09, 2022, 12:44:04 PM
Okay, I didn't know about the drone videos there on Youtube. I knew about the traffic cameras, I guess I wasn't sure if this was on-schedule or not.

There is no way it's on schedule. I am patiently waiting for them to announce the opening date has been pushed back until Spring 2023. I can see maybe they open up 70 through traffic sometime this winter but not 65 through traffic.

silverback1065

it's looking really good now. all bridges appear to be under construction now finally.

ITB

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 12, 2022, 12:14:43 AM
it's looking really good now. all bridges appear to be under construction now finally.
Yes, things are moving right along. It looks like they're trying to get all the bridge beams up by the end of October, even for the bridges over Central Ave. as well as the C/D bridge over 10th Street. If that transpires – and there's a good chance it will – they'll be busy with deck pours in November. Almost every night now, paving, to one extent or another, is taking place somewhere in the work zone. Let's just see how it plays out over the next 10 weeks.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 09, 2022, 12:44:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwvrC4D8U9EF-KGlxGYFDog

subscribe to this channel on youtube, 2 drone videos a week of the job!

silverback1065

just watched the latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cUNMilC3U&list=WL&index=25

It looks a lot better now! but I still don't see how 65 opens this year. the 70 movements look like they are very close though. fingers crossed it opens in december completely!

cjw2001

New drone videos posted today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g41HyRnCJ9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwkb1j9dJQU

Also saw from the latest email update that all bridge beams are now in place.   

SkyPesos

Looks like the control city for I-70 EB has been changed to Dayton based on those videos. Was totally expecting that.

davewiecking

So cool they caught a train going through...

ysuindy

The ramp from northbound 65 to Pennsylvania / Meridian is to close tonight until late November. 

Access to that ramp from westbound 70 is the be lost as part of the project.   As the only traffic on to Northbound 65 right now is from westbound 70 I'm curious as to what the access to the exit will be in late November.

This leaves two exits open in the immediate downtown for westbound traffic - take the ramp to the Michigan Street exit or take I-65 to the West Street exit. 

I will be curious to see if the West Street ramp backs up tomorrow morning.  I'm keeping continuing on 65 to 21st Street by Methodist hospital as an alternative exit to get downtown via Senate / Capitol.

silverback1065

Quote from: ysuindy on October 24, 2022, 03:27:41 PM
The ramp from northbound 65 to Pennsylvania / Meridian is to close tonight until late November. 

Access to that ramp from westbound 70 is the be lost as part of the project.   As the only traffic on to Northbound 65 right now is from westbound 70 I'm curious as to what the access to the exit will be in late November.

This leaves two exits open in the immediate downtown for westbound traffic - take the ramp to the Michigan Street exit or take I-65 to the West Street exit. 

I will be curious to see if the West Street ramp backs up tomorrow morning.  I'm keeping continuing on 65 to 21st Street by Methodist hospital as an alternative exit to get downtown via Senate / Capitol.

Closing that ramp really sucks but there isn't anything they can do to avoid it. looking at the drone footage it looks great for 70 movements, not even close for 65 movements. I am skeptical the 65 movements will open in december at this rate... we'll see!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.