News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on September 10, 2022, 01:16:03 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on September 10, 2022, 11:28:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 04, 2022, 01:09:07 AM
Quote from: MCRoads on September 04, 2022, 12:48:01 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on August 21, 2022, 01:48:53 PM
This actually fits better here than where it was originally posted.
Quote from: thspfc on September 19, 2020, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 19, 2020, 02:28:19 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 19, 2020, 01:10:54 PM
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20856.0

Goodness me
What... what the hell?!?!

It was the Great Goat Quote Pyramid thread, what do you understand?  The longer the quote, the happier the goat.
Quoting excessively long posts is the national pastime of Alan land.
And according to the mods, the bane of their existence.

Goat Jesus:  "Your forum, your infrastructure have been important...until now."

kirbykart

Two quotes from a ridiculous thread in Fictional Highways, where the entire Interstate system centers on American Falls, Idaho.
Quote from: kurumi on November 27, 2013, 11:55:31 AM
But it's only a matter of time before some PA congressman writes a bill funding I-86EEEEENEEEEWEEESSNE along US 219 (and hardcoding its designation in the bill) and we all foam at the mouth because I-86EEEEENEEEEWEEESSNE does not follow the convention.
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 22, 2014, 11:53:27 PM
"A young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee, or a ragout."

hotdogPi

The second of those quotes predates the independence of the United States.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kirbykart

Quote from: 1 on September 15, 2022, 02:39:28 PM
The second of those quotes predates the independence of the United States.
Ok, that's cool to know. I was originally going to put in the "I know I'm 300 years late to this, but eating babies is not a modest proposal" quote, but switched to this one at the last minute and I don't know why."

I just realized these two quotes are related.  :banghead:

kurumi

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 15, 2022, 05:30:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 04:57:16 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

They are not even a smooth jazz group.

Come on, many of these answers are wack and have no knowledge about the history of smooth jazz.

All you muggles need to step back
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on September 16, 2022, 12:15:51 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

Come on, many of these answers are wack and have no knowledge about the history of smooth jazz.

What about the history of un-smooth Jazz?

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 16, 2022, 12:21:03 PM
Taraf de Haïdouks

What about the history of un-smooth Jazz?

Free jazz...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Taraf de Haïdouks

No way, I possess the De-Curse of Coltrane and the Davis Defense.

kirbykart

From the legendary TheAlan360:
Quote from: TheAlan360 on August 26, 2012, 10:02:18 PM
Interstate 60 will go from Eureka in California all the way to New York City, it will be co-signed with US 101 from Eureka to Arcata then it will be co-signed with SR 299 from Arcata to Redding, then it will be co-signed with I-5 from Redding to Sacramento then it will be co-signed with I-80 from Sacramento to New Yersey then with I-95 from New Yersey to New York City, eureka needs a Interstate.

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 05, 2022, 12:36:13 PM
I assuming that all of this is some sort of epic exception if we are discussing it along side electrocuting butt holes?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Here's one that I remember from a few years back, which doesn't seem to have been posted here yet:

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 21, 2016, 01:04:24 PM
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Takumi

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 06, 2022, 05:15:48 AM
Here's one that I remember from a few years back, which doesn't seem to have been posted here yet:

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 21, 2016, 01:04:24 PM
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

I had that as my signature for awhile.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kirbykart

This exchange between tolbs17 and Max Rockastansky on the "Abandoned bridge" thread. According to Max, apparently GSV images are "worthless fluff" that needs to be confirmed with your own personal images, and that "spamming North Carolina Streetview links" is worse than not submitting anything at all. And apparently, tolbs17 "ruined the thread when others submitted actual contributions".

Come on, not all of us have an account at an image-hosting site, and maybe it's not easy to get a picture of something. I'm not sure how you can say a GSV image isn't an actual contribution to the thread. An image is an image, regardless of where it came from! I can't understand Max's reasoning here.

Scott5114

It's because if we wanted to look at GSV images, we all know how to load GSV up and look at it, so a GSV-based post is not really much of a value-add. There's also the fact that GSV hogs way more computer resources than loading a simple JPEG image does. I use my browser to do a lot of stuff (current tab count: exactly 400, across 3 windows), so I'd much rather see a photo than have to load the GSV interface.

This is a topic I've written about in the past:

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2022, 07:12:04 PM
I generally find actual photos taken by a roadgeek to be of greater value than GSV screenshots. The reason being that a photographer will usually make an attempt to compose a nice-looking photo or at least make the sign the focal point of an image. GSV is not attempting to take a photograph of anything in particular, so what it returns is not particularly well-suited for examining road features with any degree of detail. I also appreciate a photographer taking the time to produce an image for others in the hobby to enjoy. Some members of this forum are excellent photographers, and I appreciate the artistry that can go into that.

That being said, while I prefer to post photos of my own whenever possible, there are times when a sign near me has been relevant to a conversation, yet before that conversation I haven't ever taken the time to actually take a photo of it. Situations like that is why you'll never see anything like a ban on GSV imagery on this forum. But I do add the rule "no GSV" to any photo challenge thread I start, since if I wanted to look at GSV, I can do that without needing a forum thread on it.

What really baffles me are when I stumble upon a post here that bemoans the lack of recent GSV imagery in an area, especially when it's discussing a recent sign installation or project completion or something like that. If you want to see what an area looks like...go there? Sure, not everyone can travel as readily as most people on this forum, but, like...decide on if you have an interest in travel or not. Either find a way to make it happen (offering to buy a friend lunch and pay for gas if they'll take you down there is a pretty good way to accomplish it, and you get to spend time with your friend), or deal with the fact you'll have to wait for Google to show up.

There's also the fact that...well, access to image hosting is free and not particularly difficult to obtain. Asking for others to accommodate your lack of an Imgur or Flickr account just comes off as laziness.

And generally, consider also that many of the people on the forum were doing this stuff before GSV was invented. So there's an expectation that there that if you really mean that you're interested in a sign or whatever, you'll take the time go out and take a picture of it, the way we all were doing in the Bush administration. Hell, I learned about the idea of road photography and clinching routes when I was in high school, so that's how I learned to drive–my first-ever 2di clinch was I-27, because I was able to sell it to my mom as an ideal location for me to practice freeway driving.

There's also the question of what happens if Google ever decides Street View is unprofitable and ends up canning the entire product. They have done this several times with other products of theirs, even those with a more obvious source of profitability. All of those links would instantly become bad. Roadgeek photography, on the other hand, will always be with us, so long as a place to safely host the images exists. We only know a lot of things about what signage was like in the 1970s and 1980s because people like Michael Summa were out there photographing signs on film cameras. If everyone relies on GSV and it goes down, that could lead to a "dark period" in the historical record.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 09, 2022, 08:54:54 PM
There's also the question of what happens if Google ever decides Street View is unprofitable and ends up canning the entire product. They have done this several times with other products of theirs, even those with a more obvious source of profitability. All of those links would instantly become bad. Roadgeek photography, on the other hand, will always be with us, so long as a place to safely host the images exists. We only know a lot of things about what signage was like in the 1970s and 1980s because people like Michael Summa were out there photographing signs on film cameras. If everyone relies on GSV and it goes down, that could lead to a "dark period" in the historical record.

This already happened with the Google Maps API. It didn't go away, but rather, it was no longer free, and all embedded images broke. When it was still there, I was able to embed images of both Google Maps and Google Street View, with even things like camera zoom and angle in the latter, but when everything broke, they were gone.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

An addendum–I took my first roadgeek photo at the age of 5, on a 110 film camera, while I was in kindergarten! It is really not hard to do!

It was of the stoplight at SE 15th St and Sunnylane Road in Del City, OK. Nothing particularly interesting from a roadgeek perspective, I just liked that particular signal for some reason. I know the photo still exists somewhere, either at my parents' house or mine. I should scan it in and post it sometime.

US 89

Well, and Tolbs also had a bit of a reputation on here...

For context, for kirbykart and anyone else who may not have been around at the time: tolbs's contributions to the forum consisted almost entirely of Google Street View links to some mundane thing in North Carolina, often with very little to no context on what we were supposed to be looking at. The average user on this forum tends to be quite detail oriented, but some of his links were far beyond that level. I remember a thread about the different designs of STOP AHEAD signs where I for the life of me could not see whatever he was trying to point out. He would also jump into topics about other places and interject about how they should do whatever road/sign practice like NC, usually with a NC GSV link. It got old fast.

Quote from: kirbykart on October 09, 2022, 08:18:17 PM
Come on, not all of us have an account at an image-hosting site

It takes something like one minute to create a free Imgur account. I don't even keep mine organized, though one can - for me, it's just a convenient place to drop an image file when I want to post it on here. And to my knowledge, it lets you store unlimited photos on it (unlike Flickr, which is a better site but only allows 1000 photos unless you pay for Pro). It's also way easier to read threads about signs or whatever if the related images appear in-line in the forum posts, without the need to click over to GSV.

1995hoo

You can also use the Tapatalk app to host a photo you upload. I don't normally use that app to view the forum, but I do use it when I want to post one of my own photos. Saves me the nuisance of dealing with other hosting sites.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kirbykart

Just to let you guys know, before I saw these few most recent posts, I was about to post a long and brutal response to Scott's mini-essay up above, including a paragraph about his excessive tab count. I had the entire thing written and ready to post, but these last couple of posts made me change my mind.

Although I will say, image hosting sites are not always reliable. Imgur has straight up overloaded and new accounts do not work, and I couldn't get a link to copy on Flickr.

Rothman

Quote from: kirbykart on October 09, 2022, 09:32:36 PM
Just to let you guys know, before I saw these few most recent posts, I was about to post a long and brutal response to Scott's mini-essay up above, including a paragraph about his excessive tab count. I had the entire thing written and ready to post, but these last couple of posts made me change my mind.

Good decision.  It would have been respectfully considered and rebutted.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I know my tab count is excessive (I usually try to keep it somewhere around 150 or so), but I'm not going to take the time to unfuck it to just view someone's GSV link. (Especially since windows 2 and 3 are work-related, so I can't exactly drop everything there on a whim.) GSV links are sometimes even a major share of that tab load when I'm on the forum for a longish session–I don't have to open a new tab to view a photo, after all!

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2022, 03:32:25 AM
I know my tab count is excessive (I usually try to keep it somewhere around 150 or so), but I'm not going to take the time to unfuck it to just view someone's GSV link.
Then don't open the link.

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 09, 2022, 08:54:54 PM
It's because if we wanted to look at GSV images, we all know how to load GSV up and look at it, so a GSV-based post is not really much of a value-add. There's also the fact that GSV hogs way more computer resources than loading a simple JPEG image does. I use my browser to do a lot of stuff (current tab count: exactly 400, across 3 windows), so I'd much rather see a photo than have to load the GSV interface.
You deep frying your computer is not my problem.

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2022, 03:32:25 AM
I know my tab count is excessive (I usually try to keep it somewhere around 150 or so), but I'm not going to take the time to unfuck it to just view someone's GSV link. (Especially since windows 2 and 3 are work-related, so I can't exactly drop everything there on a whim.) GSV links are sometimes even a major share of that tab load when I'm on the forum for a longish session–I don't have to open a new tab to view a photo, after all!

Your computer must have one metric shitload of RAM.

Max Rockatansky

Six open tabs is top of the line for me. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.