Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

California Agricultural Inspection Stations

(1/11) > >>

TheGrassGuy:
Mod Note: Split off posts related to California Agricultural Inspection Stations dated February 2021 and February 2022 from the General "California" thread on 2/17/2022. Figured it might be better to have a dedicated thread for further inquiry and discussion. 由oadfro

Is CA the only U.S. state with border checkpoints?

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 13, 2021, 12:06:34 PM ---Is CA the only U.S. state with border checkpoints?

--- End quote ---

If you mean Border Patrol, then no you値l find them anywhere within 100 miles of the Mexican Border.  If you mean agriculture stations that would also be a no.  Although California is really weird about placing agricultural stations in the middle of a right of way whereas almost every other state has them built like a truck scale.

TheGrassGuy:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 13, 2021, 12:11:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 13, 2021, 12:06:34 PM ---Is CA the only U.S. state with border checkpoints?

--- End quote ---

If you mean Border Patrol, then no you値l find them anywhere within 100 miles of the Mexican Border.  If you mean agriculture stations that would also be a no.  Although California is really weird about placing agricultural stations in the middle of a right of way whereas almost every other state has them built like a truck scale.

--- End quote ---

I meant agriculture checkpoints for state borders. What other states have them?

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 13, 2021, 12:22:30 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Off the top of my head Florida had them but they were grade separated and required only commercial vehicles to enter. 

sparker:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 13, 2021, 12:24:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 13, 2021, 12:22:30 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Off the top of my head Florida had them but they were grade separated and required only commercial vehicles to enter. 

--- End quote ---

AZ had them in the '60's through the early '90's; these were less permanent installations than seen in CA -- usually pavement turnoffs where a state vehicle could be parked and the lanes coned off for much the same sort of inspection process that CA has.  Some of those wide spots are still in evidence on I-8 and I-10.  IIRC, they were "budgeted out" about 25 years ago in AZ.  They primarily operated in daytime; the notable exception was during CA's "Medfly" agricultural crisis back in 1981 and 1982, where they saw 24/7 staffing for several months so as to offer some level of protection for AZ's citrus industry centered in the lower Gila River valley along I-8. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version