News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Raleigh to Mississippi Best Route

Started by adwerkema, March 19, 2022, 01:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adwerkema

I'm driving from Raleigh to Mississippi tomorrow (Sunday). Here's the catch: I won't know which city I am driving to until Sunday afternoon. It could be:

1) Greenville
2) Starkville
3) Meridian
4) Vicksburg

So, which route should I take that will allow flexibility? Also, is I-40/I-85 or I-40/I-95/I-20 better for getting from Raleigh to Atlanta?

froggie

Getting yourself to Tuscaloosa will allow for the flexibility you're looking for, as two of those destination cities are along I-20 and the other two are along US 82.

Unless there's an incident somewhere, you can probably stick with I-85.

rlb2024

Quote from: froggie on March 19, 2022, 11:08:22 PM
Getting yourself to Tuscaloosa will allow for the flexibility you're looking for, as two of those destination cities are along I-20 and the other two are along US 82.

I agree with Froggie about getting to Tuscaloosa and going from there.

There's a lot of construction on I-85 in South Carolina between the NC state line and Spartanburg, and you never know what you'll get into with the hellhole that Atlanta traffic can be, so another option is I-40 west to Knoxville, then I-75 south to Chattanooga, then I-24 west for a few miles to I-59 south -- that will get you to Tuscaloosa as well.

hbelkins

Quote from: rlb2024 on April 06, 2022, 01:41:16 PM

There's a lot of construction on I-85 in South Carolina between the NC state line and Spartanburg, and you never know what you'll get into with the hellhole that Atlanta traffic can be, so another option is I-40 west to Knoxville, then I-75 south to Chattanooga, then I-24 west for a few miles to I-59 south -- that will get you to Tuscaloosa as well.

From Asheville to Chattanooga, is there really any benefit to taking I-40 to I-75 over using US 74? I know there are a couple of two-lane segments, but it sure seems like you go awfully far out of the way north on I-40.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

skluth

Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2022, 10:25:06 AM
Quote from: rlb2024 on April 06, 2022, 01:41:16 PM

From Asheville to Chattanooga, is there really any benefit to taking I-40 to I-75 over using US 74? I know there are a couple of two-lane segments, but it sure seems like you go awfully far out of the way north on I-40.
I wondered that too. Using Google Maps directions, US 74 is 24 miles less but 13 minutes longer. I guess it depends on how you drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.