News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

EV pickup range while towing

Started by tradephoric, July 07, 2022, 03:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on July 21, 2022, 12:31:57 PM
While there were ice age predictions in the 1970s, they were in the minority. The majority still believed there would be more warming.
https://skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm

A website devoted to global warming writes a story that global warming was more talked about than an ice age?  I'm a bit skeptical about their sources.

mgk920

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 21, 2022, 12:34:42 PM
Re. the methane vs. carbon dioxide debate:

Isn't methane a much more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide? Isn't that why governments have been pushing to reduce cattle emissions so hard as of late? I might be wrong.

Isn't water vapor a very powerful 'greenhouse' gas?

Mike

hotdogPi

Quote from: mgk920 on July 22, 2022, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on July 21, 2022, 12:34:42 PM
Re. the methane vs. carbon dioxide debate:

Isn't methane a much more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide? Isn't that why governments have been pushing to reduce cattle emissions so hard as of late? I might be wrong.

Isn't water vapor a very powerful 'greenhouse' gas?

Mike

Yes. It lasts a few days only, and the more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, the more water vapor that the atmosphere can hold. This means that more greenhouse gases = higher humidity.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

If a stockbroker with covid stood in the middle of a roundabout and farted, would it cause a thread on this forum?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2022, 03:18:20 PM
If a stockbroker with covid stood in the middle of a roundabout and farted, would it cause a thread on this forum?

Only if travelling thru a DDI from a SPUI turning into a Parclo B4 on a FYA.

Max Rockatansky

Seemingly yes, even just hypothetically:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31864.0

dlsterner

Only if the roundabout was flat.

vdeane

Is this roundabout in a place with permanent DST?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

I hadn't been following this thread until it was linked in Max's "flatulence" thread, but it reminds me of one of the more interesting conspiracy theories I've read on Twitter.

There are people who actually believe that Jenna Ellis caught covid from flatulence emitted by Rudy Giuliani.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I feel like there is potential intrigue in getting a comprehensive list of diseases which can be transmitted by flatulence. 

Dirt Roads

From the other thread:

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2022, 08:17:49 PMI hadn't been following this thread until it was linked in Max's "flatulence" thread, but it reminds me of one of the more interesting conspiracy theories I've read on Twitter.

There are people who actually believe that Jenna Ellis caught covid from flatulence emitted by Rudy Giuliani.

It has long been stated that the primary cause of coal mine accidents in my home county of Putnam in West Virginia was due to mule flatulence.  All of the coal mines there were small and the industry abandoned Putnam County by the mid-1940s.  There's now a tribute to the coal mining industry in the community park in Hometown, which states that there were "at least 53 fatalities recorded in the region's mines, with falling slate and electrocution being the most common cause".  All of which does not specifically deny what might have caused the roof to fall.

tradephoric

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2022, 12:24:19 AM
Quit bullshitting, tradephoric. You're the one who's so hung up on methane gas emissions from horse farts. Methane is 16% of global emissions. Carbon dioxide is 65%. Cars produce carbon dioxide, not methane. All of that 65% isn't from cars, but if you're going to cut emissions it makes sense to start with carbon dioxide emissions rather than methane.

If you're not going to make an honest argument, you don't need to be posting on this forum.

That statement in bold is riddled with logic fallacy.  Yet the very next line you are talking about making an honest argument.

hotdogPi

Quote from: tradephoric on July 24, 2022, 10:36:35 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2022, 12:24:19 AM
Quit bullshitting, tradephoric. You're the one who's so hung up on methane gas emissions from horse farts. Methane is 16% of global emissions. Carbon dioxide is 65%. Cars produce carbon dioxide, not methane. All of that 65% isn't from cars, but if you're going to cut emissions it makes sense to start with carbon dioxide emissions rather than methane.

If you're not going to make an honest argument, you don't need to be posting on this forum.

That statement in bold is riddled with logic fallacy.  Yet the very next line you are talking about making an honest argument.

Where's the fallacy? I'm not seeing one other than a minor error in word order.
Clinched, plus MA 286

tradephoric

The ad hominem fallacy occurs where someone attacks the person instead of addressing someone's argument or position.  Earlier in the thread i stated that a horse produces 20.7 kilograms of methane gas per year after Steve had stated "horse emissions aren't responsible for the weather".  Apparently Steve doesn't like being corrected as now I'm being accused of "bullshitting" for being hung up on horse farts.  Nevermind the fact i wasn't the one to bring up horses into this thread. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: tradephoric on July 24, 2022, 01:20:03 PM
The ad hominem fallacy occurs where someone attacks the person instead of addressing someone's argument or position.  Earlier in the thread i stated that a horse produces 20.7 kilograms of methane gas per year after Steve had stated "horse emissions aren't responsible for the weather".  Apparently Steve doesn't like being corrected as now I'm being accused of "bullshitting" for being hung up on horse farts.  Nevermind the fact i wasn't the one to bring up horses into this thread.

The bolded statement contains no accusations against anyone else. The bolded statement is accurate. Even if you look at the unbolded parts, that's not ad hominem, which is attacking someone as a way to discredit them. Calling out someone for bullshitting doesn't advance the argument any.

Also, horses aren't responsible for the weather, as shown by the bolded statement, which you have not refuted.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Scott5114

I wonder if you could fart hard enough to increase the range of an EV pickup. Now that's a tailwind!

tradephoric

Let's say I'm arguing we need to reduce concerts throughout the world.  Does this logic make sense?

Jazz is 16% of global concerts.  Rock music is 65%.  Aerosmith produces rock music, not Jazz.  All of that 65% isn't from Aerosmith, but if you're going to cut concerts it makes sense to start with rock music rather than Jazz.   

hotdogPi

Yes. Sounds reasonable to me, although solely due to the percentages and having nothing to do with Aerosmith.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Scott5114

Quote from: tradephoric on July 24, 2022, 01:57:54 PM
Let's say I'm arguing we need to reduce concerts throughout the world.  Does this logic make sense?

Jazz is 16% of global concerts.  Rock music is 65%.  Aerosmith produces rock music, not Jazz.  All of that 65% isn't from Aerosmith, but if you're going to cut concerts it makes sense to start with rock music rather than Jazz.   

Rock music generally doesn't vary much from performance to performance; the live version is usually fairly close to the album version. Therefore, there is an easy replacement for a rock concert–a rock album. If you were to replace all of the rock concerts with rock albums, you could eliminate 65% of the concerts without much hassle.

On the other hand, jazz has a tradition of improvisation that is important to the genre as an art form. Every time you hear a jazz performance of a song, it will sound different because the musician is making the music up as they go along. Thus, a jazz performance cannot be so easily replaced with a jazz album–the function a jazz album serves does not serve the needs of the listener as well, and some listeners may well say that a recording isn't a functional replacement for a live jazz performance at all.

Thus it would be sensible, if the goal were to reduce (but not entirely eliminate) concerts, to focus on replacing the more easily-replaced rock concerts that make up the majority of the concerts, rather than the less easily-replaced jazz concerts that make up a minority of the concerts. If you spend all of your time going after the jazz concerts, you're just going to spend your time arguing with people instead of actually making a difference in the number of concerts–and that would be pretty damn stupid.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 24, 2022, 01:43:23 PM
I wonder if you could fart hard enough to increase the range of an EV pickup. Now that's a tailwind!

Would farts being considered renewable energy or fossil fuels?

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 02:20:07 PM

It depends on whether the food you ate to produce the farts was before or after the expiration date, I'd wager.

tradephoric

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 24, 2022, 02:18:49 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on July 24, 2022, 01:57:54 PM

Rock music generally doesn't vary much from performance to performance; the live version is usually fairly close to the album version. Therefore, there is an easy replacement for a rock concert–a rock album. If you were to replace all of the rock concerts with rock albums, you could eliminate 65% of the concerts without much hassle.

On the other hand, jazz has a tradition of improvisation that is important to the genre as an art form. Every time you hear a jazz performance of a song, it will sound different because the musician is making the music up as they go along. Thus, a jazz performance cannot be so easily replaced with a jazz album–the function a jazz album serves does not serve the needs of the listener as well, and some listeners may well say that a recording isn't a functional replacement for a live jazz performance at all.

Thus it would be sensible, if the goal were to reduce (but not entirely eliminate) concerts, to focus on replacing the more easily-replaced rock concerts that make up the majority of the concerts, rather than the less easily-replaced jazz concerts that make up a minority of the concerts. If you spend all of your time going after the jazz concerts, you're just going to spend your time arguing with people instead of actually making a difference in the number of concerts–and that would be pretty damn stupid.

That was a very thought-provoking post Steve.  I do appreciate that!  I may not agree with you all the time, but I think i understand your overarching point.   I mean i get it, it's much easier to convert ICE vehicles to EVs than to hook up some contraption to every cow's ass in the world to capture their farts!  Although going back to concerts, when was the last time you saw a Jazz artist bite a bats head off on stage or lite their guitar on fire?  There are definitely antics you see at a rock show that just can't be replicated by listening to the album!

US 89

Well, dinosaur farts are non-renewable. They're called natural gas.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on July 24, 2022, 02:49:52 PM

Well, dinosaur farts are non-renewable. They're called natural gas.

Yes, that was my initial thought on farts as a fuel source.  Thing is though, all anyone would need to do to keep farting is eat flatulence inducing foods.  Given the food chain is generally fairly sustainable then fart fuels could easily be renewed. 

Now the trick is somehow getting close to/or 100% energy efficiency out of fart fuels.  As noted above current levels of human flatulence is a nominal pollution source.  I would imagine this cannot ever be done by any kind of advanced internal combustion engine, it would have to be something like a fusion reaction.

JREwing78

The only thing that kept me from going with a full-on electric vehicle this time around: no ability to at-home charge at my apartment. That is a killer feature that makes an EV *more* practical than its gas vehicle counterpart. Eventually the market will make chargers at apartments a standard feature, but it's way too early yet for that.

Otherwise, an electric vehicle would be nearly perfect for my needs. Most of my trips are under 100 miles a day, which even in the dead of winter most EVs will easily handle. Even without the option to charge at work and the need for itself to burn energy to stay warm in winter, an EV's range is more than enough for my needs. I go home, plug it into the outlet in my garage, and even on a 110V outlet my battery gets topped back up to repeat the next day. I never have to visit a gas station.

Even for roadtripping an EV is hardly worthless. Say I purchase a state-of-the-art Kia EV6 with the large battery, good for 310 miles of range via the EPA.  It has an 800 volt electrical system for rapid charging. Assuming I left at 80% charge (so about 250 miles of charge). I can get around Chicago and well into Michigan before having to stop to charge. Then I find a 350kW charger, run to the restroom and grab a drink. By the time I'm back out, about 20 minutes later, it's back to 80% charge. If I'm real nervous about my range (or I didn't bring it up to 80% before I left), I can charge to 100%. Or, I stop just outside Chicago, charge up to 80%, and I'm good to my destination without having to charge again. Or, hell, I rent a car for the handful of times that range won't cut it.

There's way less maintenance, instant torque from the motors, and the cost for me to charge it up at home is a fraction of what a gas vehicle would cost me. It's practical for me and a lot of other people right now, even without the benefit of Tesla's charging infrastructure.

TFL does a good job of showing the obvious edge-case problems (towing long distances, roadtrips into middle-of-nowhere destinations, etc). But a lot of the folks here are too busy poo-pooing the current state of EVs to realize their knowledge about EVs and their attendant infrastructure is 5 to 10 years behind what the actual state-of-the-art is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.