News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Past tense of the verb "yeet"?

Started by kurumi, July 23, 2022, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which form of the past tense sounds most correct or natural to you?

yeeted
20 (58.8%)
yate
3 (8.8%)
yote
8 (23.5%)
yought
3 (8.8%)
yit
0 (0%)
yunk
0 (0%)
yetó
0 (0%)
yechita
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

kurumi

Yeah, it's a dumb post. But many slang terms that catch on don't arrived with a full set of conjugations. I've seen #1 and #3 (facetiously) in the wild.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

I say yate, like how ate is the past tense of eat.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CoreySamson

I think around 2 years ago my friends and I decided it was "yote" .
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Ned Weasel

Question: Would the past participle be the same as the past tense conjugation for this verb?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Ned Weasel on July 23, 2022, 04:07:35 PM
Question: Would the past participle be the same as the past tense conjugation for this verb?
No, I wouldn't think so. I would treat yeeted as the past participle (He was yeeted off the cliff) and yote as the normal past tense verb (He yote him off the cliff).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Mapmikey

never heard of this word before but it would make sense to me that the past tense would be 'yet' (like meet and met)

US 89

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 23, 2022, 05:02:48 PM
never heard of this word before but it would make sense to me that the past tense would be 'yet' (like meet and met)

ok boomer

Big John

Max Rockatansky

None, "yeet" still sounds alien to me and I've only heard it uttered once in conversation with an actual person.

wxfree

Us old-timers need to know what the word means in order to form an opinion.  According to the dictionary definition cited, it isn't a verb, but is an exclamation.  This is like "woo-hoo."  It has no real meaning but is an expression of emotion.  It could be used as a verb, saying "I woo-hooed at the fireworks display," which would mean to express enthusiasm.  In that case, the "-ed" ending is the only one I'd use, because it's using a non-verb as a verb, producing a made up word, so I would apply the most standard conjugation rather than treating it like a verb.  You could even use quotes, saying: I "yeet"ed at the appropriate time, which I can't describe because I don't know in what circumstance that would be.

Using the quote marks makes it clear that this is a verbification (I'm not afraid of making up words, either.)  I also like using the quotes because requires leaving the word intact.  It can't be "yote" or "yate" because those aren't quotes.  This is subtext that gives meaning to the new word.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 23, 2022, 09:54:44 PM
None, "yeet" still sounds alien to me and I've only heard it uttered once in conversation with an actual person.

I thought it was an exclamation, not a verb. But everything becomes a verb, so why not?

I think I tried to say the word to my 14-year-old daughter as a joke, but there was a lot of butter and knives with those eye rolls.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on July 23, 2022, 10:32:13 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 23, 2022, 09:54:44 PM

I thought it was an exclamation, not a verb. But everything becomes a verb, so why not?

I think I tried to say the word to my 14-year-old daughter as a joke, but there was a lot of butter and knives with those eye rolls.

In my case the person who said it was my 11 year old niece in response to being excited about going somewhere.  When I questioned her regarding the usage of "yeet"  she became embarrassed and denied saying it.

thspfc

Yeeted.

Yeet is not a good verb however, I much prefer "Kobe!"

Takumi

Quote from: thspfc on July 23, 2022, 11:17:55 PM
Yeeted.

Kobe is for accuracy. Yeet is for distance.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US 89

But in my experience, if you yell Kobe, there is a 95% chance you miss.

Rothman

Quote from: Takumi on July 23, 2022, 11:20:23 PM
Quote from: thspfc on July 23, 2022, 11:17:55 PM
Yeeted.

Kobe is for accuracy. Yeet is for distance.
...and speed (Yank! is how I think of it).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

I've never heard anyone saying "Kobe"  that wasn't referring to Kobe Bryant or the city in Japan.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 08:52:58 AM
I've never heard anyone saying "Kobe"  that wasn't referring to Kobe Bryant or the city in Japan.

I've said it myself, as part of the name of a steakhouse in Haverhill MA. Or does that count as the city?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2022, 08:55:16 AM

I've said it myself, as part of the name of a steakhouse in Haverhill MA. Or does that count as the city?

Suffice to say in California it might be difficult to catch on in another context given the popularity of the Lakers. 

thspfc

It is referring to Kobe Bryant.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on July 24, 2022, 10:40:39 AM

Is it?  This page is the first time I've ever seen it used to describe something.  Apparently it has a basketball related reference in Urban Dictionary:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kobe%21

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 10:58:21 AM

Is it?  This page is the first time I've ever seen it used to describe something.  Apparently it has a basketball related reference in Urban Dictionary:

It's a reference to Kobe in that it's projecting a projectile in hopes of hitting a specific target. You know, what Kobe did.

kirbykart

I think it should be yeeted.
Fun Fact: Autocorrect changed yeeted to tested.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on July 24, 2022, 11:17:35 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 10:58:21 AM

It's a reference to Kobe in that it's projecting a projectile in hopes of hitting a specific target. You know, what Kobe did.
This whole exchange is fascinating to me since yelling Kobe and flailing at the basket has been around for years now.  Whoever said it means you're likely to miss was spot on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.