Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Avoid overheating turn off A/C signs

(1/7) > >>

jtespi:
I know the reason why the "Avoid overheating, turn off A/C next xx miles" signs were put up in the first place, but does anyone know why state DOTs keep replacing them instead of removing them?

CalTrans most prominently has the signs on I-10 between Coachella and Cactus City as well as on I-8 near Mountain Spring. There are a few similar signs installed by NDOT in Nevada.

With modern vehicles, overheating from running the air conditioner is basically a non-issue. Seeing that antiquated sign confuses drivers and can lead them to disregard other yellow warning signs since this one is irrelevant today. In electric vehicles, the A/C compressor runs automatically to cool the battery when needed, so you can't even "obey" the sign and truly turn off the A/C compressor in EVs.

Why is CalTrans spending money to replace these signs when they are worn out instead of just removing them altogether? It is nostalgia? Or perhaps CalTrans wanting to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits?

Rothman:
I still see cars overheating on my travels.  I won't buy a car that doesn't have a temp gauge.

Anyway, from the steaming engines out there I've seen, the signs may still be warranted.

Max Rockatansky:
I see cars overheat all the time in on high incline grades in California.  In fact I canít recall the last time I didnít see a stalled out car on shoulder along the uphill climb on I-5 south through Grapevine Canyon.  I also smell cars not heeding ďuse low gearĒ on heavy decline grades way far more often than Iíd like.

roadfro:

--- Quote from: jtespi on August 09, 2022, 05:04:45 AM ---I know the reason why the "Avoid overheating, turn off A/C next xx miles" signs were put up in the first place, but does anyone know why state DOTs keep replacing them instead of removing them?

CalTrans most prominently has the signs on I-10 between Coachella and Cactus City as well as on I-8 near Mountain Spring. There are a few similar signs installed by NDOT in Nevada.

--- End quote ---

I can't recall having ever seen such a sign in Nevada. Can you point to an example?

jdbx:

--- Quote from: jtespi on August 09, 2022, 05:04:45 AM ---I know the reason why the "Avoid overheating, turn off A/C next xx miles" signs were put up in the first place, but does anyone know why state DOTs keep replacing them instead of removing them?

With modern vehicles, overheating from running the air conditioner is basically a non-issue. Seeing that antiquated sign confuses drivers and can lead them to disregard other yellow warning signs since this one is irrelevant today. In electric vehicles, the A/C compressor runs automatically to cool the battery when needed, so you can't even "obey" the sign and truly turn off the A/C compressor in EVs.

Why is CalTrans spending money to replace these signs when they are worn out instead of just removing them altogether? It is nostalgia? Or perhaps CalTrans wanting to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits?

--- End quote ---

This assumes a well-maintained modern vehicle.  As others have noted, I still often see people pulled over with overheated vehicles spewing steam on long inclines.  Some are just very old vehicles with weak cooling, but others are more modern vehicles that probably are suffering from a lack of maintenance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version