Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Other National Chains That Are Shells Of Their Former Selfs.

(1/25) > >>

thenetwork:
We've gone around and around on rhe slow death of Sears/Kmart as well as a few restaurant chains and how they are just a slim fraction of what they once were.

What about other dominant national chains in other retail categories that are barely holding on?

The one chain that got me thinking of this thread is Midas.  At one time they were the king of replacement mufflers (along with Tuffy and Speedy).  The Midas in my town looks dilapidated and not well maintained  and I believe they are now even closed on weekends.  It is located at a very busy intersection, but you'd be lucky to see any cars parked in the lot.

Other once dominant businesses???

jp the roadgeek:
The Price Chopper in my town, created in 2004 from a former KMart, already looks outdated and empty inside.  They have yet to be converted to a Market 32.

Bed Bath & Beyond ain’t what it used to be. And Friendly’s is about 10% of the footprint it once was.  Quiznos came and went and is almost nonexistent now.

kurumi:
Fry's supermarkets apparently have 123 locations still open, in Arizona mainly.

The spinoff Fry's Electronics dominated the southwest (mainly CA and TX) until the Internet took off. Peaked at 34 locations, took many years to die, with empty shelves, "sold on TV" nonsense and toys and other random stuff.

Even at its peak, there was controversy about customer service and financials and whatnot, but in the 90s it was a fun place to visit, and in the 10s it was an interesting place to watch fading away.

The history would make a good documentary IMHO.

Takumi:
Winn-Dixie once reached up to Virginia as late as the mid-2000s.

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 09, 2022, 07:56:00 PM ---The Price Chopper in my town, created in 2004 from a former KMart, already looks outdated and empty inside.  They have yet to be converted to a Market 32.

--- End quote ---

Not quite a national chain—Price Chopper of Kansas City is an entirely unrelated chain that happens to have the same name. That chain is still going strong (they even recently expanded to Des Moines).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version