News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Other National Chains That Are Shells Of Their Former Selfs.

Started by thenetwork, August 09, 2022, 07:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2022, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2022, 08:10:09 PM
I'm not quite sure why they feel like this area would do better under the Carl's Jr. name and menu than Hardee's

Because Oklahoma wants to be like Texas.
Not again we mentioned this in other places and California gets dragged in the rants about Texas for obvious reasons. But back to this one sure Hardee's and Carl's Jr. Will unwittingly find they way to become an advertiser in the political talk channels. Initially when we talk about Carl's Jr ads it's because they appeared on regional sports channels like Bally's sports and NBC Sports local edition.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2022, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2022, 08:10:09 PM
I'm not quite sure why they feel like this area would do better under the Carl's Jr. name and menu than Hardee's

Because Oklahoma wants to be like Texas.

"Texas wants Oklahoma to be like Texas" is probably more accurate. Oklahoma generally wants to be its own thing, although it's too incoherent to clearly articulate what that thing is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Oklahoma: Because No One Wrote A Musical Called Texas!

hotdogPi

Economically, Texas is actually doing a decent job for a red Southern state. They aren't lacking funding, they have a lot of growth, and their education system isn't one of the bottom few. Businesses are moving there.

Oklahoma, as well as Mississippi and Alabama, are near the bottom in everything. (So is New Mexico for some reason, despite leaning blue.) Oklahoma would be better off if it was like Texas.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: 1 on September 20, 2022, 01:37:04 PM
Oklahoma, as well as Mississippi and Alabama, are near the bottom in everything. (So is New Mexico for some reason, despite leaning blue.) Oklahoma would be better off if it was like Texas.

Being "like Texas" would mean being a huge state big enough to be its own country with many large, booming population centers. There's not much Oklahoma, or any other state, can do to be like that.

(And I don't think the red/blue distinction is that strongly correlated with how a state is performing economically; AL, MS and NM are very poor, while TX is very wealthy.)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on September 20, 2022, 01:37:04 PM
(So is New Mexico for some reason, despite leaning blue.)

Unfortunately centuries-long mistreatment of Native Americans (of which New Mexico has one of the largest populations in the country) belongs to both political parties.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on September 15, 2022, 02:29:20 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 15, 2022, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 09:18:40 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 13, 2022, 11:07:52 PM

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 12, 2022, 09:54:15 AM
A dish that is becoming harder to find recently is veal parmigiana. Animal cruelty issues as well as COVID-19 are leading to the dish's demise, making it hard for Italian restaurants to keep it on their menus. It's mainly the more upscale, non-chain Italian restaurants that still have it on their menus.

Cows don't give milk until they give birth, so veal is a byproduct of the dairy industry.  I was surprised walking down a road to see veal crates being used.  Even if it's not fashionable to buy veal, young calves are still being separated from their mothers to keep them from drinking up the product.

Yeah, "separating calves" is going to be a thing, whether people are eating veal or not.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, veal parmigiana is not the traditional Italian version of the dish and does not exist in Italy. The only traditional Italian version of the dish is eggplant parmigiana, while chicken and veal parmigiana are Italian-American creations.
Thank goodness.  Eggplant is mushy yuckiness.

I like eggplant.  If it's mushy, you've severely overcooked it.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 09, 2022, 07:56:00 PM
The Price Chopper in my town, created in 2004 from a former KMart, already looks outdated and empty inside.  They have yet to be converted to a Market 32.

Bed Bath & Beyond ain't what it used to be. And Friendly's is about 10% of the footprint it once was.  Quiznos came and went and is almost nonexistent now.

Friendly's just entered the Middle Tennessee market.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 10, 2022, 07:53:32 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 10, 2022, 12:01:28 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on September 10, 2022, 11:23:10 AM
Perkins is so much smaller than it used to be. The location in Foster Brook, PA closed recently, and that felt like one of the last ones near me. I'm doubtful even the Olean, NY location is still open today.

Still has a sizable presence in the Midwest, although they have not been invincible here either. Many were retreating from their 24/7 presence before COVID, which finished that job.
All the ones in SD/WY I've been to are still thriving; we would eat there on high school trips because they took meal vouchers and I can still go in and order the same thing and sit at the same table as when I was traveling for cross/track meets.

We used to have them all over Tennessee.  Now they are gone out Tennessee.  I ate at a couple in South Dakota recently.

Rothman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 21, 2022, 11:56:21 PM
The Price Chopper in my town, created in 2004 from a former KMart, already looks outdated and empty inside.  They have yet to be converted to a Market 32.

Bed Bath & Beyond ain't what it used to be. And Friendly's is about 10% of the footprint it once was.  Quiznos came and went and is almost nonexistent now.

Wut.

http://locations.friendlysrestaurants.com/site-map/US
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Rothman on September 22, 2022, 06:48:39 AM

Wut.

Never mind I mixed up Freddy's with Friendly's.

mgk920

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 22, 2022, 01:25:26 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 22, 2022, 06:48:39 AM

Bed Bath & Beyond ain’t what it used to be. And Friendly’s is about 10% of the footprint it once was.  Quiznos came and went and is almost nonexistent now.

Wut.

Never mind I mixed up Freddy's with Friendly's.

hehheheehehe

Freddy's just opened an outlet here in the Appleton, WI area, too.  Are they also developing a case of 'growing too fast fever'?

:-P

Mike

kkt

JayhawkCO

Godfather's Pizza. Was the #3 pizza chain in 1985 according to Wikipedia.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 22, 2022, 05:27:24 PM

Even into the mid-2000s they were still fairly prevalent. I was surprised to see an extant location in Baudette, MN in the spring. They did ink a deal with Holiday stores to sell pizza.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 22, 2022, 05:34:03 PM

Even into the mid-2000s they were still fairly prevalent. I was surprised to see an extant location in Baudette, MN in the spring. They did ink a deal with Holiday stores to sell pizza.

Around these parts, they exist pretty much exclusively in Love's gas stations.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 22, 2022, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 22, 2022, 05:34:03 PM

Around these parts, they exist pretty much exclusively in Love's gas stations.

When I Googled it earlier looking for info, I was amazed that there's one within 5 miles of me -- one of two in the Denver metro. They're both "free standing" insofar as not being in gas stations.

jakeroot

There appears to be just a single standalone Godfathers in the Seattle region, in the Spanaway area south of Tacoma. There is also one in a Loves Truck Stop in Fife. Three other locations also existed (Port Orchard, Federal Way, Auburn) but all have closed.

kkt

Back in the 80s, Godfather's was the better of the two large pizza places in Seattle's University District.  Sic transit gloria mundi.

US71

Quote from: kkt on September 30, 2022, 01:16:35 PM
Back in the 80s, Godfather's was the better of the two large pizza places in Seattle's University District.  Sic transit gloria mundi.

I worked at one circa 1985. Lately, their quality seems to have suffered :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

RobbieL2415

Friendly's is somehow still around.
The Ground Round pulled out of CT when it when bankrupt and now only has 15 stores.

1995hoo

There is still a Godfather's Pizza in Myrtle Beach. Their website doesn't appear to have a store locator, which is mildly odd.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 05, 2022, 03:26:32 PM
Friendly's is somehow still around.
The Ground Round pulled out of CT when it when bankrupt and now only has 15 stores.

Thr Ground Round actually was completely defunct. Several franchisees bought the rights to the name and menu and opened (or reopened) several locations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.