News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the best map service to use?

Started by TMETSJETSYT, August 17, 2022, 09:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMETSJETSYT

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 17, 2022, 03:31:32 PM
Google Maps with Android Auto works just fine for me. I've played with Waze before, but with an albeit small sample size, Google Maps was more accurate on ETAs in the Denver metro.
Normally, I use Apple Maps with Apple CarPlay, this is because the detailing of Apple Maps is better, like it has state highway shields, instead of just normal shields like on google maps, and it shows on a map when a stop sign or light is coming, and it also has other special shields, like NY State Pkwys (Taconic Sate Pkwy, Hutchinson RIver Pkwy, NY Thruway, NJ Tpke, GSP, Atlantic City Expy, and more.)
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

TMETSJETSYT

Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

Henry

I'm old-school that way, so Rand McNally for me. But if I have to use a computer or cell phone, I'll just go on Google Maps, because I love being able to see various scenes from actual places in StreetView.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

A cousin of mine is planning a trip to Vermont, and he's going to start out in Bennington. He's going to use AAA to see how they route him, but I was absolutely amazed to see how Google Maps routed the trip.

My initial thought was I-64/I-79/I-68/I-70/I-81/I-88 to Albany.

Google said to go through Lexington, Cincy, and Columbus. Second choice was staying on I-78 at Harrisburg, then I-287 and the Thruway. Third choice was US 220/I-99 to I-80 to I-81 to I-84 to the Thruway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2022, 10:49:01 AM
A cousin of mine is planning a trip to Vermont, and he's going to start out in Bennington. He's going to use AAA to see how they route him, but I was absolutely amazed to see how Google Maps routed the trip.

Google said to go through Lexington, Cincy, and Columbus. Second choice was staying on I-78 at Harrisburg, then I-287 and the Thruway. Third choice was US 220/I-99 to I-80 to I-81 to I-84 to the Thruway.

What in particular is amazing about that routing? It's pretty straightforward, and if not for truck traffic, you could pretty much set cruise control all the way from Columbus to Albany.

Rothman

Terrain is much easier and roads much faster taking the Ohio route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on August 29, 2022, 11:24:09 AM

What in particular is amazing about that routing? It's pretty straightforward, and if not for truck traffic, you could pretty much set cruise control all the way from Columbus to Albany.

You're going out of your way west to end up going east. A routing through Lexington or Cincinnati is not something I would logically consider for any destination to the east of me.

I'm pretty sure that Google has told me in the past to go through Lexington and Cincy to get to Erie, when my logical thought would be to go through Charleston on I-79.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2022, 07:47:26 AM
^^^^

Agreed. That's one reason I don't think any one particular service is "best" –it depends on your specific needs at any given moment.

I will say I was messing with the street view type feature for Lower Manhattan on Apple Maps the other day and I liked the way it was in a pop out window with the map still available to allow for easily dragging the map to move the camera location. Google Street View has been, I guess I'd say inconsistent lately–sometimes getting the camera to move at all is very difficult.
Following up on the comment above, I was just playing with Apple Maps' street view feature on my iPhone. Here's a screenshot of what I meant about the pop-out window showing the street view. Rather than dragging the binoculars around, you can slide the whole map if desired.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2022, 12:12:07 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 29, 2022, 11:24:09 AM

You're going out of your way west to end up going east. A routing through Lexington or Cincinnati is not something I would logically consider for any destination to the east of me.

I'm pretty sure that Google has told me in the past to go through Lexington and Cincy to get to Erie, when my logical thought would be to go through Charleston on I-79.

If you're using Google Maps, it's very much operates as "at this time, do this". If it's not the most logical routing, there could be certain issues along what would appear to be the most logical route. If there's a crash causing a road to be closed, that issue going on now isn't going to be an issue when the trip is actually taken.

It also doesn't think ahead.  If you're looking at an 8 hour route leaving at 4pm, it's probably going to detour you around certain cities and areas that are experiencing rush hour congestion.  When you get to that area at, say, 9 or 10 PM, the quickest route probably won't be the same route Google Maps was telling you at 4pm.

That said, since the friend is in the planning stage, they can look at Google Maps at different times of the day to determine how traffic tends to be at those times.  This is obviously going to be way more trouble than what most people will do when planning a trip, but it's better than looking at the route once and basing their travels on that "in the moment" review.

vdeane

^ There's also the "depart at" feature that allows one to set a date/time to begin the trip but then instead of a single time, they give a range (I'm curious if the long range is the one where the person never exceeds the speed limit, but have never been able to confirm that).  As such, I still find it to be easier to look at Google Maps at a similar time/day of week as to when I plan to take the trip.

It's worth noting that Google's congestion factoring isn't real time, but based on when it expects you to get somewhere given the departure time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.