News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Los Angeles street scene 1954

Started by Stephane Dumas, January 10, 2012, 06:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I spotted a vintage video of street scene and freeway scenes of Los Angeles from 1954 on Hemmings blog
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/01/10/los-angeles-1954-and-new-york-city-circa-1965/

AsphaltPlanet

There is a great set of photos of the four-level interchange over on skyscraperpage.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4395873&postcount=126
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kphoger

On the SkyscraperPage post, the picture at the top of the vee, am I seeing reflectors cemented into the curb line?  'Cause that's awesome.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The High Plains Traveler

I'm surprised that I didn't see any "Acme" semaphore signals. Even in the 1930s photo, the signal is a standard three-section RYG light.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2012, 07:47:04 PMOn the SkyscraperPage post, the picture at the top of the vee, am I seeing reflectors cemented into the curb line?  'Cause that's awesome.

Yup.  Those were introduced in the late 1930's.  The California Division of Highways was super-proud of them.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Stephane Dumas

Here more vintage freeway views

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

rjc_2001

This google maps image is from CA hwy 17 outside Santa Cruz... I have been wondering about the curb detail. I guess it is no longer being used but still is seen around here and there. It's being replaced as upgrades are done, but was the purpose simply to enhance visibility as is? .. or in the old days was it common to afix reflectors into the pattern? Always thought these were pretty cool. Is there a technical name for them?? I have had pretty poor luck finding anything about them online.. and good luck trying to find anything on google by searching for things like "curb stamping" or "curb pattern". The results for the latter were deplorable lol!

myosh_tino

Quote from: rjc_2001 on December 21, 2012, 04:45:17 PM

This google maps image is from CA hwy 17 outside Santa Cruz... I have been wondering about the curb detail. I guess it is no longer being used but still is seen around here and there. It's being replaced as upgrades are done, but was the purpose simply to enhance visibility as is? .. or in the old days was it common to afix reflectors into the pattern? Always thought these were pretty cool. Is there a technical name for them?? I have had pretty poor luck finding anything about them online.. and good luck trying to find anything on google by searching for things like "curb stamping" or "curb pattern". The results for the latter were deplorable lol!
I was wondering where the image in the above post is.  This is what was inside the "image" tags... http://C:\Users\Be ... \hwy_curb_detail.jpg

rjc_2001, you need to upload the image to some website like Flickr to get it to display properly here.  You can't just link to a file you have on your computer's hard drive.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Road Hog

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 26, 2012, 09:24:18 PM
Here more vintage freeway views

These are awesome. The second video appears to be more early 1960s ... thought I saw a few Chevys of that vintage.

Desert Man

Thanks for sharing the vids, Stephane...two thumbs up.  :nod:   :clap:
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.