News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Least favorite freeway stretch In the L.A. area

Started by blawp, April 29, 2012, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

Quote from: NE2 on December 07, 2012, 04:05:09 AM
Pfft. How about a ramp meter on a mainline? https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5031

That's due to the history of Calif State Route 125. The first section built was between I-8 and SR 94 (originally signed as SR 67). It was intended to carry traffic from I-8 west to SR 94 west. There is a significant, three-lane connecting ramp from I-8 west to SR 125 south to SR 94 west. When they started building more segments of SR 125 starting in the early 1990s, they did so in segments, with one of the first between Fletcher Pkwy and I-8. Since this new, short section of SR 125 was serving as a connector from Fletcher Pkwy to I-8 and SR 125 south, the metering light was added. After more sections of SR 125 opened, the metering light remained. I don't drive through there often, so I don't know if that light is operating during commuting hours or not. But it is true that quite a bit of traffic transitions off of SR 125 onto I-8 at that interchange, and quite a bit of I-8 traffic shifts to SR 125 (especially heading south).

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Road Hog

Quote from: hm insulators on May 08, 2012, 04:44:38 PM
Quote from: realjd on April 29, 2012, 10:55:34 PM
Quote from: rschen7754 on April 29, 2012, 08:28:10 PM
405 through the Sepulveda Pass.

I've never driven that stretch. It's worse than the 405 through Long Beach?

Yes! I've driven that stretch over the Sepulveda Pass numerous times when I lived in Van Nuys in the San Fernando Valley. Actually, it's not just over the pass--the entire 405 from LAX all the way into the San Fernando Valley is just one nasty congested mess! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The 405 can be a sneaky bastard. Going north over Sepulveda Pass I never had a problem. Going south you can be tooling along and suddenly have to stand on your brakes numerous times all the way to LAX. Really crazy stop-and-go, mostly stop.  X-( Of course, my experience is limited to the times I've visited, so YMMV.

Mark68

My least favorite? The 91 between the 55 & I-15. Also, I-215 thru downtown San Bernardino is old and has a lot of left exits...but that was a few years ago. I've heard it's being upgraded now.

My favorite, by far, is 210 east of San Dimas. Smooth sailing.

I also like I-15 south of Corona to about the 163 split.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.