News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Stretch of Freeway in the Los Angeles Area.

Started by Interstate Trav, April 30, 2012, 09:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

Got the idea from a post on the elast favorite thread, so basically what is your favorite stretch of freeway in the Los Angeles area?

CentralCAroadgeek

Although we don't really go that far south much, as well as not being on much freeways, I have to say that I like 210 in the foothills and I-5 in Orange County (which is a stark contrast to I-5 in LA County)

bulkyorled

110 - Arroyo Seco Pkwy, as I said on the other thread you can feel the road and its fast and winding. I love it haha That or the 210 between the 5 and Sunland Blvd since it feels open and fast.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

blawp

The 134 above eagle rock. Sometimes you have a view past century city all the way to the sea.

Interstate Trav

You know I didn't mention my favorite yet, and after reading some posts, it got me thinking, this really is a tough one for me too.  I like the 134 between the 2 and 210, the 210 in the Foothills is a fun drive, the 5 through LA is interesting but a traffic nightmare.

I would have originally said the 15 through the Cajon Pass, always a favorite for me, or the Newhall Pass, transitioning from the 5 to the 14.

bulkyorled

Everytime another person posts Im like "oh i like that one too..."
I always forget the 2 exists which is weird because I use it a lot and I live right near it. The south 2 is more interesting. On a clearer day especially at night you can see all of downtown LA from the upper part. And getting off at any of the upper exits give you a tour of nice housing through Glendale.

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: bulkyorled on April 30, 2012, 09:48:52 PM
110 - Arroyo Seco Pkwy, as I said on the other thread you can feel the road and its fast and winding. I love it haha That or the 210 between the 5 and Sunland Blvd since it feels open and fast.

I have actually never driven that freeway before, just about every other freeway in Los Angeles but not that one.  Really curiuos to now.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: bulkyorled on April 30, 2012, 11:11:49 PM
Everytime another person posts Im like "oh i like that one too..."
I always forget the 2 exists which is weird because I use it a lot and I live right near it. The south 2 is more interesting. On a clearer day especially at night you can see all of downtown LA from the upper part. And getting off at any of the upper exits give you a tour of nice housing through Glendale.

You just reminded me of that, I have driven from my uncles in Simi Valley at night on the 118 and seen the whole valley then when I was on the 210 saw Downtown from the 2 junction.  It really is tough to pick.

luokou

I-710. Nice slice of Los Angeles County from Long Beach harbor up to the 10 (though something seriously needs to be done about that gap between Valley Bl and 210!)

bulkyorled

Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 30, 2012, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: bulkyorled on April 30, 2012, 09:48:52 PM

I have actually never driven that freeway before, just about every other freeway in Los Angeles but not that one.  Really curiuos to now.

Its pretty fun haha It sounds strange to say its fun to drive the pkwy but it is. Going North is more fun in my opinion cause you come out on Arroyo Pkwy in Pasadena which is rather unique on its own. Pretty much the only flashing yellow arrow set i've ever seen! haha

I don't care for the 118 though. Apparently its the most (or one of the most) ticketed routes in California and I have to use it to go visit my dad in Chatsworth and it always makes me paranoid. And its got a slight incline going West so it sucks the gas back a bit more. :(

JustDrive

The 5 between San Clemente and Oceanside (only on weekdays)

CenVlyDave

As for favorite stretches, hmmm... I do agree with the 210 from the 134 to I-5, especially the stretch ovder the verdugo hills from Lowell Ave to Sunland Bl.  My top 2 are technically not considered part of Los Angeles, but one is vital to it, and the other carries alot of traffic from it.  First I-5 from Lake Hughes Rd to Templin Hwy and from Ft Tejon to Grapevine.  Love the way the freeway twist and turns and doubles over itself as well as swings wide apart and comes back together.  All that for me makes driving the Grapevine FUN!  The other stretch I love is more of an expressway, but has freeway interchanges.  That is CA-18 from 40th St in San Bernardino to the Hwy 138 interchange just below Crestline.  This road is an engineering marvel by maintaining it's 4-lane width from the base of the mountains all the way above the 4000 ft level.  Also, there are stretches of it where you are literally hanging out in midair over the side of the mountain.  Love this road, plus the views on a clear day to boot!  To me one the best rides in all of So Cal!

realjd

Quote from: JustDrive on May 01, 2012, 12:28:25 AM
The 5 between San Clemente and Oceanside (only on weekdays)

It may be scenic, but fascist government checkpoints automatically remove any stretch of road off of my favorites list. See also: I-8 in the mountains.

The High Plains Traveler

Mine is probably I-5 approaching Tejon Summit from the south. My interest is geological, and as you approach the fault, the strata in the road cuts are more and more contorted. (I presume this is still considered "L.A. area" since you're still in the county there.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

KEK Inc.

The 73 through the San Joaquin Hills is nice, although it's tolled.
Take the road less traveled.

bulkyorled

Quote from: luokou on April 30, 2012, 11:27:33 PM
I-710. Nice slice of Los Angeles County from Long Beach harbor up to the 10 (though something seriously needs to be done about that gap between Valley Bl and 210!)

I actually saw recently that they're seriously thinking about bringing that up again. That Caltrans wants to build a tunnel under South Pasadena since obviously buying up the land around it would cost way too much. Im sure its not a new plan but apparently its being taken into serious consideration.

blawp

Caltrans already owns the ROW. The reason for the tunnel would be because of neighborhood opposition.

bulkyorled

Quote from: blawp on May 02, 2012, 12:48:48 PM
Caltrans already owns the ROW. The reason for the tunnel would be because of neighborhood opposition.

True facts that is. Who the hell wants a major interstate going directly under their house? I'm sure they wouldn't hear it or even know it exists but still. The thought of it being under there! I already think everytime I see the houses smashed up against the freeway "I'd never wanna live there" or "who the hell wants to live there?"

Bigmikelakers

I-5 Between CA-91 and I-405

I-10 Throughout LA Metro to the AZ state line

I-405 From Torrance to Irvine

CA 2 Glendale Freeway in Glendale

TheStranger

I really enjoy the US 101 segment of the Santa Ana Freeway - 1950s freeway connection from downtown to the East Los Angeles Interchange, including several signs dating to the 1970s exit numbering project.  Narrow, but with good views of several bridges crossing the Los Angeles River and the Bunker Hill skyline.
Chris Sampang

Interstate Trav

Ok I can't just say one, I'll list a couple

US 101 through Downtown, is a great drive at night when you go over Cahenga Pass and see Downtown Los Angeles lit up.
CA 14 is a fun drive through the Mountains in Route to Antelope Valley, and has some fun area's
I-15 through Cajon Pass, just a fun drive
CA 134 is fun, as you go from the 101 and Constance overpasses, almost feels like the freeway was squezed in there to the San Rafael Hills past the CA 2, in a 13 miles Stretch you get to change scenery a lot.  also a nice view of Downtown Los Angeles on a clear day.

bulkyorled

I wouldn't call the 14 fun personally.... but maybe cause it leads to the god awful AV.

cpzilliacus

I-5 (Golden State Freeway) through the Grapevine (not when frozen precipitation is falling).

I-5 (San Diego Freeway) crossing Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Ca. 73 (San Joaquin Hills Transportation Corridor).

I-110 (Harbor Freeway) approaching downtown L.A. from the south on the overhead HOV lanes.

Ca. 241 (Foothill Transportation Corridor).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

OCGuy81

I'd have to go with CA 73 and 241, even though they're tolled, it keeps them relatively free of traffic.

The 5 isn't bad south of the 55 interchange either, it starts to move pretty nicely until you get to around Oceanside.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bulkyorled on May 04, 2012, 05:53:23 AM
I wouldn't call the 14 fun personally.... but maybe cause it leads to the god awful AV.

I've never quite seen the purpose of Palmcaster, and of course the godawful China Lake, whose existence seems to be geared towards the financial support of Wal-Mart.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.