News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nevada legislature considering 85 mph speed limit

Started by gonealookin, February 26, 2013, 12:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: vdeane on April 20, 2013, 12:21:12 PM
OR will go 85 when hell freezes over.  They can't even do 70; while the law sets the "standard maximum" at 70, the DOT considers every mile of highway to be a "special exception" to that rule warranting 65 or lower.

Since Clinton repealed the (revised) NMSL law in '95, there's been no less than a dozen attempts among state legislators here in OR to raise the speed limit, most of them proposing a 75mph limit.  They're inevitably shot down by whichever Governor K (Kitzhaber or Kulongoski) we have in office.  The 70mph bill did sneak through under Kulongoski's watch, but it was with the provision that a "study" be undertaken, which, rather than being done by the two state engineering schools (OIT and OSU), was offloaded to PSU and OHSU, who were clearly biased against even that modest increase, and they produced a shoddy report that preserved the status quo.

The problem is that it's never going to get through the legislature.  That said, it's actually possible to get it done without involving the governor or ODOT or any other would-be obstruction--use the initiative system and put it up for statewide vote.  No one seems to have quite figured that out yet, but it's perfectly within the bounds of the initiative system.

gonealookin

The deadline for passage by the NV Assembly Transportation Committee is May 17, and then for passage by the full Assembly the deadline is May 24.  So we'll know fairly soon whether this will go to Governor Sandoval for signature.  I don't think I've heard anything about the Governor's position on the bill.

gonealookin

SB 191 passed out of the Assembly Transportation Committee yesterday and now heads for a floor vote in the Assembly, which could happen as soon as tomorrow.  If passed, Governor Sandoval then has 5 days to sign or veto or allow the bill to become law without his signature.  I'm expecting an 85 mph maximum on NDOT-maintained highways to be the law of the State of Nevada shortly.  Of course, then it's up to the discretion of NDOT to make the actual changes in any specific speed limits, but the consensus seems to be 85 mph on most of I-80 from Fernley to the Utah border and on I-15 from northeast of Las Vegas to the Arizona border.

Interstatefan78

Quote from: gonealookin on May 15, 2013, 07:39:18 PM
SB 191 passed out of the Assembly Transportation Committee yesterday and now heads for a floor vote in the Assembly, which could happen as soon as tomorrow.  If passed, Governor Sandoval then has 5 days to sign or veto or allow the bill to become law without his signature.  I'm expecting an 85 mph maximum on NDOT-maintained highways to be the law of the State of Nevada shortly.  Of course, then it's up to the discretion of NDOT to make the actual changes in any specific speed limits, but the consensus seems to be 85 mph on most of I-80 from Fernley to the Utah border and on I-15 from northeast of Las Vegas to the Arizona border.
That's good what about I-580 from Reno to Carson city would it still keep it's current 65-70 mph speed limit or become 85 just like I-80,I-15. Also the proposed I-11 would be 85 mph north of LV on the way to Reno/Carson City

myosh_tino

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on May 17, 2013, 04:40:30 PM
That's good what about I-580 from Reno to Carson city would it still keep it's current 65-70 mph speed limit or become 85 just like I-80,I-15.
Given the hilly terrain and often gusty winds, I don't think I-580 should get an 85 MPH speed limit between Mt Rose Parkway and Carson City. 

Also the proposed I-11 would be 85 mph north of LV on the way to Reno/Carson City
Did I miss something?  Are there formal plans to build a freeway connecting Las Vegas and Reno?  I thought I-11 was to end at I-15 in Las Vegas and go no further.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

NE2

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 17, 2013, 05:34:14 PM
Did I miss something?
You missed the memo about Interstatefan78 posts being nonsense.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sdmichael

As an aside, I really don't know why US 95 couldn't just be upgraded to a four lane and just be done with it. Why bother with a new sign. An expressway with interchanges as needed is a far better method. US 395 does well that way from SR-14 to Mono Lake.

roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 17, 2013, 05:34:14 PM
That's good what about I-580 from Reno to Carson city would it still keep it's current 65-70 mph speed limit or become 85 just like I-80,I-15.
Given the hilly terrain and often gusty winds, I don't think I-580 should get an 85 MPH speed limit between Mt Rose Parkway and Carson City.

That stretch is too busy, in addition to the hills and windy area, to be considered for 85. The 85 speed is only being considered for extremely rural areas...I-580 is far from that.

Also the proposed I-11 would be 85 mph north of LV on the way to Reno/Carson City
Did I miss something?  Are there formal plans to build a freeway connecting Las Vegas and Reno?  I thought I-11 was to end at I-15 in Las Vegas and go no further.

You didn't miss anything. I-11 in Nevada would replace I-515, but there's no serious plans to go further north than that (there's not even serious plans for I-11 anywhere in Nevada yet).
Quote from: sdmichael on May 17, 2013, 11:01:17 PM
As an aside, I really don't know why US 95 couldn't just be upgraded to a four lane and just be done with it. Why bother with a new sign. An expressway with interchanges as needed is a far better method. US 395 does well that way from SR-14 to Mono Lake.

As it is right now, US 95 as a four-lane highway is hardly needed...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sdmichael

Quote from: roadfro on May 18, 2013, 06:07:39 AM
Quote from: sdmichael on May 17, 2013, 11:01:17 PM

As it is right now, US 95 as a four-lane highway is hardly needed...

That was pretty much my point. No reason for four lanes, even less for an Interstate freeway.

gonealookin

Quote from: gonealookin on May 07, 2013, 11:28:04 AM
The deadline for passage by the NV Assembly Transportation Committee is May 17, and then for passage by the full Assembly the deadline is May 24.  So we'll know fairly soon whether this will go to Governor Sandoval for signature.  I don't think I've heard anything about the Governor's position on the bill.
Somebody in the Assembly must have wanted SB 191 killed.  It appears to have missed the midnight deadline for a vote.  Nevada's 75 mph maximum speed law remains in effect.

Molandfreak

Quote from: gonealookin on May 25, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on May 07, 2013, 11:28:04 AM
Somebody in the Assembly must have wanted SB 191 killed.  It appears to have missed the midnight deadline for a vote.  Nevada's 75 mph maximum speed law remains in effect.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.