News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 163 bottleneck at I-5/CA-163 interchange (any solutions)?

Started by Lytton, March 16, 2013, 10:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lytton

As we all know, San Diego wasn't really designed to be a big city like San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles. However, there is always a problem with CA-163 during rush hour. When you take exit 16 off of I-5 northbound and get on CA-163 northbound, the 2 lanes merge into one lane and causes a bottleneck. Also, not to mention that on CA-163 southbound, the 5 lanes southbound will end up going into 2 lanes rapidly (because of the next two exits from I-8).

So, is there any solutions to fix the problem or perhaps lessen the traffic on the already-outdated freeway.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

oscar

From when I lived in the area, I thought I saw some stub ends within Balboa Park indicating plans to widen the freeway through the park.  But then Caltrans must've came to its senses, and decided not to mess with the park and in particular the beautiful El Prado bridge crossing over CA 163.

I'd call CA 163 through Balboa Park "scenic" rather than "outdated", and would just lean on alternate full-fledged freeway routes like I-5 to I-8, or CA 94 to CA 15 to I-805, to carry traffic around the park.   
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Lytton

Yes, but the problem is that it goes by Mission Valley and Fashion Valley malls, both in the east and west and they're very close, causing shoppers, particularly on the holidays to crowd the freeway. Not to mention CA-163 goes through several suburbs which have office buildings. Yes, it is scenic but it is also particularly the only freeway that connects Downtown San Diego with these suburbs.

They need to relieve stress on the freeway.

NE2

One solution would be to build a bypass along 40th Street. Oh wait.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sdmichael

According to an article in CHPW from either 1940 or 1941, the Cabrillo Freeway was approved by City of San Diego (City Charter change) voters to be a six-lane freeway. I'm quite happy with it being four lanes and it isn't that big a deal. If you come from 11th Ave, you don't mess with any of the traffic. The only solution I can think of would be to widen the northbound side to three lanes to about 1/2 way to the Laurel St Bridge, increasing the merge space.

Southbound? Eh... if it is really that bad then don't take it! I used to work in downtown near 12th/Imperial and I live in North Park. I bicycled to work via Park Blvd and various numbered streets. Bicycling was quicker than driving, even on the same route. Sometimes you just have to think "outside the car" for a solution.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Lytton on March 16, 2013, 10:58:17 PM
As we all know, San Diego wasn't really designed to be a big city like San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles. However, there is always a problem with CA-163 during rush hour. When you take exit 16 off of I-5 northbound and get on CA-163 northbound, the 2 lanes merge into one lane and causes a bottleneck. Also, not to mention that on CA-163 southbound, the 5 lanes southbound will end up going into 2 lanes rapidly (because of the next two exits from I-8).

So, is there any solutions to fix the problem or perhaps lessen the traffic on the already-outdated freeway.

depends on where you're coming from, and where you're going.  you can do 5-15-805-163, 5-94-15-805-163, 5-8-163, etc...

if your destination is along the 163 between 5 and 8, then I'd consider exiting via 16B to 6th Ave, 17 to Brant, or 18 to Washington (some of these are a bit more complicated due to the use of frontage roads, and you might need to look at a map during your planning).
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ARMOURERERIC

Frankly, they should just make the current WB8 to SB 163 ramp got o 6th Ave only and deny access to SB 163, if you want to go downtown, use 805 or 15 to 94

nexus73

All problems are amenable to being solved with enough bulldozers and dynamite with firing squads for the obstructionists...LOL!

On a more serious note, if I wanted to scrap the old freeway, I would offer one with such a stunning design that the public would buy in.  Then make sure the capacity of the new freeway is such that it won't need to be redone for 50 years or more.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

andy3175

163 through Balboa Park is a designated historic route as well as scenic route. Widening was considered years ago but is unlikely to occur. In fact, efforts to create bus rapid transit (BRT) along the Route 15/94 and I-805 south corridors to downtown will utilize Route 94 rather than Route 163, owing to the fact that Route 163 cannot be expanded to accommodate bus/HOV lanes necessary for BRT.

I-805 South BRT: http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/SouthBay-BRT/south-bay-brt-intro.aspx
Route 15/94 BRT: http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/SR-94-Corridor/SR94-FAQ.aspx

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Lytton

Quote from: andy3175 on March 22, 2013, 01:20:05 AM
163 through Balboa Park is a designated historic route as well as scenic route. Widening was considered years ago but is unlikely to occur. In fact, efforts to create bus rapid transit (BRT) along the Route 15/94 and I-805 south corridors to downtown will utilize Route 94 rather than Route 163, owing to the fact that Route 163 cannot be expanded to accommodate bus/HOV lanes necessary for BRT.

I-805 South BRT: http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/SouthBay-BRT/south-bay-brt-intro.aspx
Route 15/94 BRT: http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/SR-94-Corridor/SR94-FAQ.aspx

Regards,
Andy

Why do they need a Bus Rapid Transit? We already have the San Diego Trolley.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 19, 2013, 03:18:41 PM
Frankly, they should just make the current WB8 to SB 163 ramp got o 6th Ave only and deny access to SB 163, if you want to go downtown, use 805 or 15 to 94

that ramp isn't as bad on the 163 end as it is on the 8 end, because there is a lot of weaving from the 8/805 interchange.

that said, I always use that ramp.  if I want to get to Washington Street, I'll take 8 to 163 to that ramp.  I could take 6th but that would likely take longer.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sdmichael

Why do they need a Bus Rapid Transit? We already have the San Diego Trolley.

The San Diego Trolley doesn't go along the 805 or 15 corridor. It should, but does not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.