I-35E in St. Paul: Legal grounding for truck restrictions?

Started by Revive 755, April 28, 2010, 02:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

I'm looking for information on how I-35E in St. Paul is allowed to have trucks restricted, but is yet allowed to remain in the interstate system.  Main purpose I have is to theoretically look at banning trucks from the I-55 ramps to and from the Poplar Street Bridge in St. Louis.  So far it seems that this ban is the result of a court settlement, but I haven't found much more than this.  Any info is greatly appreciated.

TheStranger

The one comparable that comes to mind out here is I-580 along the MacArthur Freeway which has had a truck ban for some time - but this dates back to when the route was just US 50 and as such, was grandfathered in (with 880/238 as the suggested truck route instead).
Chris Sampang

74/171FAN

I-66 has a truck ban in VA inside the Beltway but that was due to a settlement with Arlington County who didn't want the road built.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

I-278 has a truck restriction in NYC where it had to use Grand Central Parkway.  I imagine that truck restrictions are just considered a substandard design element like every other exception.

froggie

QuoteI'm looking for information on how I-35E in St. Paul is allowed to have trucks restricted, but is yet allowed to remain in the interstate system.  Main purpose I have is to theoretically look at banning trucks from the I-55 ramps to and from the Poplar Street Bridge in St. Louis.  So far it seems that this ban is the result of a court settlement, but I haven't found much more than this.  Any info is greatly appreciated.

That's exactly what it was.  A court settlement.  I don't have the nitty-gritty details (MnDOT would), but in a nutshell, the settlement allowed MnDOT to build the road in return for narrowing it to 4 lanes (the original plan was 6 lanes) and both the truck restrictions and the requirement for a 45 MPH speed limit.

J N Winkler

An interesting question is whether granting of a truck ban has to be linked to the availability of a bypass route on the same system which can handle trucks (similar to the requirements governing exceptions to minimum Interstate bridge clearances).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.