News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest Continuous Express/HOV lane in Texas?

Started by thisdj78, July 14, 2023, 04:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

Curious, what is the longest continuous express/HOV lane in Texas? And as a bonus question: How does it compare to the longest in the US?

Chris

There are a couple that are approximately 20 miles in length:

* I-69 Eastex Freeway reversible lane (I believe this is the longest)
* I-35E TexPress lanes
* I-45 North Freeway reversible lane
* I-30 TexPress lanes

I-15 in Utah has the longest express lanes in the U.S.: 80 miles

The I-95 Express lanes from Miami going north are also pretty long.

thisdj78

Quote from: Chris on July 14, 2023, 05:19:04 PM

* I-35E TexPress lanes
* I-30 TexPress lanes

Interesting, I never knew that about I-15 in Utah.

As far as Texas, with the I-35 HOV lane projects going on in north San Antonio and south Austin, I could see them eventually building a continuous lane between the two cities. That would be 80 miles or even more once expansion is complete thru Austin up to Round Rock.

BrandonC_TX

In combination with the bidirectional HOV lanes extending from Spring to the southern end of Conroe, which begin immediately north of the reversible lane, the I-45 North Freeway HOV is probably somewhere between 35-40 miles long. I feel pretty sure that’s the longest such facility in Texas.

I’d think the combined I-820/SH-183 express lanes are the longest such facility in DFW (extending from north Fort Worth at I-35W almost to I-35E in Dallas), although I’m not sure. While it involves the usage of multiple express lane facilities, it is possible to drive from downtown Fort Worth to the High Five in north Dallas (and vice-versa) by using only express lanes. I won’t count this because that involves using on- and off-ramps to connect with different corridors (namely I-820/SH-183, Loop 12/I-35E, and I-635), whereas the I-820/SH-183 express lanes are essentially one continuous facility despite the differently-signed corridors (given the setup at the North East Mall interchange).

BJ59

Quote from: BrandonC_TX on July 29, 2023, 06:23:18 AM

In combination with the bidirectional HOV lanes extending from Spring to the southern end of Conroe, which begin immediately north of the reversible lane, the I-45 North Freeway HOV is probably somewhere between 35-40 miles long. I feel pretty sure that's the longest such facility in Texas.

I'd think the combined I-820/SH-183 express lanes are the longest such facility in DFW (extending from north Fort Worth at I-35W almost to I-35E in Dallas), although I'm not sure. While it involves the usage of multiple express lane facilities, it is possible to drive from downtown Fort Worth to the High Five in north Dallas (and vice-versa) by using only express lanes. I won't count this because that involves using on- and off-ramps to connect with different corridors (namely I-820/SH-183, Loop 12/I-35E, and I-635), whereas the I-820/SH-183 express lanes are essentially one continuous facility despite the differently-signed corridors (given the setup at the North East Mall interchange).

I-635 Texpress Lanes also have a direct connector to US-75 HOV lanes. You could travel from southern Collin County all the way to downtown Fort Worth using only HOV and Express lanes (Via US-75 HOV -> I-635 Express -> I-35E Express -> Loop 12 Express -> SH-183 Express -> I-820 Express -> I-35W Express). That measures out to be roughly 55 miles. Measuring from I-35W at Eagle Parkway all the way to the end of US-75 HOV in Collin County brings that measurement up to 60 miles of continuous HOV/Express Lanes.

bwana39

* I-35E TexPress lanes
* I-30 TexPress lanes

Just a nitpick...

It is either TEXpress Lanes  or TeXpress lanes.

TxDOT uses the TEXpress in their stylebook.  Earlier it was often TeXpress.

Either way, the X is always capitalized to point out eXpress.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.