2 (16.7%)
Saturday, October 17
8 (66.7%)
Sunday, October 18
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 20, 2020, 09:17:35 PM

Nikolai

I've planned out a preliminary route and list of attractions for our tour. Take a look and let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Here's the Facebook event page for the meet. RSVP there so I can estimate how many to expect, and feel free to invite your other roadgeek friends.

You can bring your own lunch to the picnic shelter of Harris Memorial Park in Lee's Summit around 11:30, or just meet us for the tour that departs at 12:30.

At this moment I'm expecting safety guidelines to be similar to how they are today. So keep at least six feet away from others whenever possible, and wear a mask when you can't keep that distance. It's currently required in all the areas we'll be touring (Kansas City, Missouri; Wyandotte County; Eastern Jackson County).

ozarkman417

Now that school is virtual, I shouldn't have a problem heading up there at that time. It's a short drive.

kphoger

I'm unavailable that week-end.

Funny thing is, I'll probably be in Missouri during the meet, but not near KC.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Highway63

Got a near-last-minute schedule flip. I should be able to attend barring rain/plague.

brianreynolds

I have not yet attended a road-related get-together this year.  I had originally planned to go to San Antonio, but the timing is bad for me.  It looks like Kansas City is my last chance for 2020.

As an aside, and speaking of 2020, I saw a report that a sportswriter for WSJ predicts that my beloved Detroit Lions will win it all this year.  His logic?  Everything else in 2020 has gone sideways (or worse), so what other conclusion can we expect?  I hope he is right.  I was 6 years old the last time the Lions went the distance.  That was more than a decade before Super Anything.

Nickoli and Gene, I plan to be there.  The likelihood that I actually attend is somewhat better than the odds that the hapless, hopeless Detroit Lions prevail this year.

Brandon

Remember, the Lions winning the Super Bowl is one of the impending signs of the apocalypse.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Scott5114

I wish I could attend, but the family member I stay with when I'm in Kansas City is in her 90s, so I don't think it's a good idea to see her during the pandemic. Have fun, everyone!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

brianreynolds

Quote from: Brandon on September 13, 2020, 08:19:15 AM
Remember, the Lions winning the Super Bowl is one of the impending signs of the apocalypse.
I'll take my chances.  At my advanced age, what's left to lose?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: brianreynolds on September 13, 2020, 08:22:35 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 13, 2020, 08:19:15 AM
I'll take my chances.  At my advanced age, what's left to lose?

I think today's game against the Bears proves we're probably safe from this doomsday for at least another NFL season.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ozarkman417

Should I actually attend this meet, one of the things I will be doing while I'm up there is driving the existing alignment of US 24 east of downtown, before it is rerouted. Notice to Proceed on the signage project is 12/7/20.

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ozarkman417

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 21, 2020, 06:42:41 PM
US24 is getting rerouted?
Yes, it is being taken off of Independence Ave west of I-435, and will be routed on to I-435 and I-70 towards downtown.

See the 5th and 6th page of this document. Aside from the re-routing itself, I found it a bit odd that MoDOT would use Google Maps over their own resources for this kind of task.

hbelkins

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 13, 2020, 11:45:56 PM
Should I actually attend this meet, one of the things I will be doing while I'm up there is driving the existing alignment of US 24 east of downtown, before it is rerouted. Notice to Proceed on the signage project is 12/7/20.

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 21, 2020, 07:10:52 PM

Yes, it is being taken off of Independence Ave west of I-435, and will be routed on to I-435 and I-70 towards downtown.

See the 5th and 6th page of this document. Aside from the re-routing itself, I found it a bit odd that MoDOT would use Google Maps over their own resources for this kind of task.

For those of you who are Facebook friends with James Schul, or are in some of the same FB road-related groups that he's in, he posted some photos of signs for that area that were being transported through the Dayton area. Some of them had I-435 and US 24 concurrent on the same sign. Wonder if those signs are part of this?

Interesting aside: Missouri produces (or used to produce) its own big guide signs. Wonder if they are now using contractors, like Kentucky does for its panel guide signs, or if the signage was part of a bigger contract?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

brianreynolds

External factors will almost certainly take me out of this one.  Family events require me to be in 'burban Houston the week folowing (Oct 19-24 or so). 

I tried, I really tried.  If Linda would fly GRR to IAH on the 19th, I would be there to pick her up.  Ain't gonna happen.

She will not fly at all until the Covid thing is long gone.  Damn.  See y'all down the road.  Someday.  Maybe.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: brianreynolds on September 23, 2020, 08:35:46 PM
External factors will almost certainly take me out of this one.  Family events require me to be in 'burban Houston the week folowing (Oct 19-24 or so). 

I tried, I really tried.  If Linda would fly GRR to IAH on the 19th, I would be there to pick her up.  Ain't gonna happen.

She will not fly at all until the Covid thing is long gone.  Damn.  See y'all down the road.  Someday.  Maybe.

Oh that's a bummer, Brian.  I'm sorry to hear this.  :(
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: brianreynolds on September 23, 2020, 08:35:46 PM

She wants to be at the meet with you though.

brianreynolds

She wants to be at the meet with you though.
[/quote]

Yeah, nice thought.

Steve you are one of the few (less than five) real Roadgeeks who have actually met Linda.

I'm pretty sure you know otherwise.

Nikolai

All right, the final plans can be found in the first post of this thread. See you in two weeks in the city of trafficways!

KCRoadFan

I'm ready to find out more about this meet - I live in KC!

SSOWorld

I'm definitely out of the meet.  I'm undergoing physical therapy and seeing docs for my hip (no surgery planned - yet) and don't wish to risk contracting COVID at any point - I'm skipping local events for the same reason as my city's a hotspot too.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US 89

I thought this had happened already? If I'd known it hadn't been fully changed over yet I would have paid more attention when I went through KC two months ago.

ozarkman417

Quote from: US 89 on October 04, 2020, 01:27:00 PM

I thought this had happened already? If I'd known it hadn't been fully changed over yet I would have paid more attention when I went through KC two months ago.
Where in KC did you go through? The signage replacement project's Notice to Proceed date is December 7th, and is on the 10/16 bid letting.

US 89

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 04, 2020, 03:49:59 PM
Quote from: US 89 on October 04, 2020, 01:27:00 PM

Where in KC did you go through? The signage replacement project's Notice to Proceed date is December 7th, and is on the 10/16 bid letting.

I went through on I-35 and US 71 but would have paid closer attention to whether US 24 was mentioned on the Independence Ave or I-70 exits.

Looking at the few photos I did take, it looks like signage has not changed over yet in that direction. But regardless of what the signs say, hasn't 24 officially been on 70 and 435 for a while now?

Ned Weasel

I'd be interested in going to this if I didn't have to work literally every day of the week, including Saturdays and Sundays.  But I also need to be rather judicious about how much I go out and how much I interact with other people IRL right now, because I live with someone who's in a high-risk category, and the last thing I want to do is put people at risk.  I hope everyone has a good time, though!
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ozarkman417

That's something I haven't taken in to account- I live with older family members. Personally, I'm not be too worried, as I am only 17.

But being 17 brings up another issue: I've never gone further than 50 miles away from town driving by myself. I have my license, time, and money if needed. My issue lies in two questions:

-Will the participants of the meet want a 17 year old driving three hours away from home to meet strangers on the internet during a pandemic?

-Will my family want a 17 year old driving three hours away from home to meet strangers on the internet during a pandemic?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.