News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

I think sheeting signs are better than button copy, although the button copy ones look kinda cool.

What do you guys think? Is button copy or sheeting better?

Alps

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 08, 2019, 10:24:25 AM
I think sheeting signs are better than button copy, although the button copy ones look kinda cool.

There is already discussion of this in Traffic Control. Let's keep it there.

tolbs17

Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2019, 12:44:49 PM

Those threads are old too. Should I really revive one?

Alps

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 08, 2019, 03:34:17 PM

If you have something to add. If the discussion has already happened, you will already see people's positions recorded.

tolbs17

Quote from: Alps on September 08, 2019, 05:31:10 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 08, 2019, 03:34:17 PM

If you have something to add. If the discussion has already happened, you will already see people's positions recorded.
Alright then i guess i will do it.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on September 07, 2019, 11:51:36 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 07, 2019, 09:16:09 PM
The underpass might be below sea level but even if it is, I would assume that it is above the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. The tunnel I think starts downhill right at the portal but the underpass should be level once you enter it.
No, it's below.

What's below what? The Battery Park Underpass is below sea level, but it most certainly crosses over, not under the Battery Tunnel.

The underpass levels out around its portals (look at street view). The Battery Tunnel keeps sloping down well past its portals (naturally, since it needs to go under the river).

As an aside, I see Google is still showing I-478...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on September 08, 2019, 07:16:40 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 07, 2019, 11:51:36 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 07, 2019, 09:16:09 PM
The underpass might be below sea level but even if it is, I would assume that it is above the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. The tunnel I think starts downhill right at the portal but the underpass should be level once you enter it.
No, it's below.

What's below what? The Battery Park Underpass is below sea level, but it most certainly crosses over, not under the Battery Tunnel.

OK, I had heard otherwise. Without seeing construction drawings, I'm not sure how one proves this.

TheDon102

What's the possibility of the BQE being removed entirely?

signalman

Quote from: TheDon102 on September 09, 2019, 02:24:34 AM
What's the possibility of the BQE being removed entirely?
Not likely.  The BQE servers a vital function and handles a lot of traffic.  Those vehicles are not going to disappear should the BQE be removed and the city streets can't handle the additional traffic load.  The BQE needs to be expanded, not removed.

Rothman

Heh.  I don't think the BQE is going anywhere.  NYCDOT is already considering what to do about the "triple cantilever" section if it and I don't believe getting rid of it is a viable option.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KEVIN_224

Plus, I think the B.Q.E. isn't nearly as short as I-895 in the Bronx.

The Ghostbuster

Expand the BQE? You can't expand just about any freeway or parkway in New York City without plowing down adjacent streets, homes and businesses. Maybe congestion pricing the freeways and parkways might help. I'd suggest building some tunnels, but due to the expense, as well as possible NIMBYism, that is unlikely to happen (the cancellation of the proposal to replace the Gowanus Expressway into a tunnel comes to mind).

crispy93

Noticed a very wrong NY 27 shield on the West Side Highway (NY 9A) this weekend. According to Street View, it's been there for at least a year.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

signalman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 09, 2019, 02:22:21 PM
Expand the BQE? You can't expand just about any freeway or parkway in New York City without plowing down adjacent streets, homes and businesses.
I never said that it was feasible or likely to happen.  I just said that it was needed more than a removal.

Alps

Quote from: crispy93 on September 09, 2019, 02:48:49 PM
Noticed a very wrong NY 27 shield on the West Side Highway (NY 9A) this weekend. According to Street View, it's been there for at least a year.
I could see the error near the Battery (way to merge two topics), but up by the Javits that is just silly.

Mergingtraffic

In response to a thread on the TRAFFIC CONTROL page, I'd have to say these signs have held up well for being almost 50 years old.  I can't believe they haven't been replaced yet as button copy is disapearing fast.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

TheDon102

Quote from: Rothman on September 09, 2019, 01:24:10 PM
Heh.  I don't think the BQE is going anywhere.  NYCDOT is already considering what to do about the "triple cantilever" section if it and I don't believe getting rid of it is a viable option.

(personal opinion emphasized)

Apparently removing it entirely was something the NYCDOT was looking at. At least according to numerous articles about the triple cantilever in Brooklyn Heights. Is it viable? No. But I wouldn't put it past NYC to completely remove this section.

SignBridge

I wouldn't put it past the current NYC Mayor to suggest removing the entire highway. It's just the kind of idea he would approve of. But realistically, even if such an idea were floated, I think smarter heads in the region would prevail. No way is a section of the BQE just going to disappear. The consequences would be a disaster and most people know that.

Duke87

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 11, 2019, 04:41:20 PM
In response to a thread on the TRAFFIC CONTROL page, I'd have to say these signs have held up well for being almost 50 years old.

Yes, well, reflective sheeting will decay in the sun and lose its effectiveness after a while, but reflective buttons don't have this limitation. The result is that non-reflective button copy is capable of lasting in functional condition basically forever so long as it manages to avoid being crashed into, vandalized, or otherwise damaged. There'd be a lot more 50 year old signs out there still in use and still looking this good if button copy hadn't been deemed an insufficient solution for nighttime legibility of signs.

Quote from: TheDon102 on September 14, 2019, 07:39:54 PM
Apparently removing it entirely was something the NYCDOT was looking at. At least according to numerous articles about the triple cantilever in Brooklyn Heights. Is it viable? No. But I wouldn't put it past NYC to completely remove this section.

With some transportation pundits suggesting the idea, NYCDOT has to "look at" it, if for no other reason to have the results of the analysis showing it is not an acceptable alternative.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: SignBridge on September 14, 2019, 10:16:23 PM
I wouldn't put it past the current NYC Mayor to suggest removing the entire highway. It's just the kind of idea he would approve of. But realistically, even if such an idea were floated, I think smarter heads in the region would prevail. No way is a section of the BQE just going to disappear. The consequences would be a disaster and most people know that.

DOTs often study various alternatives merely for comparative purposes, not because they're under serious consideration or in any way practical. It's often tempting to take it as evidence of misguidedness on the part of public officials (and the public), but the real motivations are usually much more mundane.

zzyzx

WABC News report from 1983 on missing street signs and non-functioning traffic signals hilariously documented by legend Milton Lewis:

crispy93

Signs on the Bronx River and E. 177 St have the Sheridan as NY 895 now. The relevant portions were patched over, the entire sign was not replaced.

These are on E. 177 St. I don't like that "Manhattan/Queens" was greened out with "Sheridan Blvd," unless the goal is to not have 895 used as a route to the Triboro any more. The "Trenton, NJ" greenout is covering just "Trenton."

KEVIN_224

What's the point of the Trenton green-out? Plus, it's TOO BIG!  :banghead:

Mergingtraffic

WOW, the amount of bad looking signage is getting worse every day it seems.  The overlay for Trenton is huge.  You'd think with computer technology signs would be better today.

Have these been changed?

or

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

crispy93

As far as I know, only the signs on E. 177 and the BRP have been changed. Signs on 278 still show it as I-895.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.