News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Your Favorite State Route Sheild?

Started by ColossalBlocks, December 09, 2016, 12:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Is The State Primary Shield You Like The Most?

Washington State Primary
Idaho State Primary
Nevada State Primary
Oregon State Primary
California State Primary
Arizona State Primary
Utah State Primary
New Mexico State Primary
Colorado State Primary
Texas State Primary
Oklahoma State Primary
Kansas State Primary
Missouri State Primary
Wyoming State Primary
Montana State Primary
North Dakota State Primary
South Dakota State Primary
Nebraska State Primary
Iowa State Primary
Minnesota State Primary
Wisconsin State Primary
Arkansas State Primary
Louisiana State Primary
Mississippi State Primary
Illinois State Primary
Indiana State Primary
Kentucky State Primary
Tennessee State Primary
Ohio State Primary
Alabama State Primary
Georgia State Primary
Florida State Primary
South Carolina State Primary
North Carolina State Primary
Virginia State Primary
West Virginia State Primary
Pennsylvania State Primary
New Jersey State Primary
New York State Primary
Maryland State Primary
Delaware State Primary
Connecticut State Primary
Rhode Island State Primary
Massachusetts State Primary
Vermont State Primary
New Hampshire State Primary
Maine State Primary
Alaska State Primary
Hawaii State Primary
DC Route
Michigan State Primary

Henry

The CA miner's spade is my all-time favorite, hands down.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 30, 2017, 05:21:21 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 28, 2017, 03:49:06 PM
Also, I apologize for having a rather strange question, but my severely mentally ill mind will not leave me alone about it.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 05, 2017, 11:31:40 AM
I voted for the Florida state route shield. I highly like all of the usual favorites, such as California, Kansas, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. However, when it comes to states I have actually been to and seen the shields in person, probably my very favorites are Florida and Colorado. I honestly don't see why states like Mississippi or Kentucky couldn't decide on something more inventive.

Does the bolded part of what I said come off as being harsh?

Harsh to who, the state DOTs? It's fortunately exceedingly hard to hurt a government agency's feelings. The only one that's more or less guaranteed to see your post is Kentucky's, and the guy reading it, being a roadgeek, might even agree with you. :P

Yeah, I find the circle to be bland and unimaginative and not reflective of Kentucky at all.

But as I've said many times, if I had any Photoshop skills, I could take that round Kentucky marker and turn it into something that's uniquely Kentucky and would definitely stand out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 28, 2017, 03:16:42 PM
I'm really, really sorry for bumping this thread, but I have come across something very interesting. I've been browsing the AARoads Shield Gallery a lot this week, and I found some things regarding state route shields (which many of you may already know about).

Just as a tangential musing...remember when there was no such thing as a web site with pictures of highway shields from each state? And there was no book in the library about it, either; it simply wasn't an important enough topic to write a whole book about.

No, we had to personally visit each new state and find out first-hand what the highway markers looked like. And every time I did that, I'd draw the shape of the marker around the corresponding page number in my road atlas. That was my shield gallery.  :D

slorydn1

Quote from: empirestate on October 31, 2017, 10:07:56 AM
I'm really, really sorry for bumping this thread, but I have come across something very interesting. I've been browsing the AARoads Shield Gallery a lot this week, and I found some things regarding state route shields (which many of you may already know about).

Just as a tangential musing...remember when there was no such thing as a web site with pictures of highway shields from each state? And there was no book in the library about it, either; it simply wasn't an important enough topic to write a whole book about.

No, we had to personally visit each new state and find out first-hand what the highway markers looked like. And every time I did that, I'd draw the shape of the marker around the corresponding page number in my road atlas. That was my shield gallery.  :D

Wow, I honestly thought I was the only person in the world who did that! My Ohio and Florida shields looked like crap though, lol.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jwolfer

I remember when I was a kid our old encyclopedia set.. for y'all young 'uns that was the Stone age internet... Sets of books with articles.. the articles for the states had a picture of the state highway shield.

I liked the maps of the states... Counties were easily differentiated

Z981

adventurernumber1

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2017, 01:43:29 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 30, 2017, 05:21:21 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 28, 2017, 03:49:06 PM
Also, I apologize for having a rather strange question, but my severely mentally ill mind will not leave me alone about it.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 05, 2017, 11:31:40 AM
I voted for the Florida state route shield. I highly like all of the usual favorites, such as California, Kansas, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. However, when it comes to states I have actually been to and seen the shields in person, probably my very favorites are Florida and Colorado. I honestly don't see why states like Mississippi or Kentucky couldn't decide on something more inventive.

Does the bolded part of what I said come off as being harsh?

Harsh to who, the state DOTs? It's fortunately exceedingly hard to hurt a government agency's feelings. The only one that's more or less guaranteed to see your post is Kentucky's, and the guy reading it, being a roadgeek, might even agree with you. :P

Yeah, I find the circle to be bland and unimaginative and not reflective of Kentucky at all.

But as I've said many times, if I had any Photoshop skills, I could take that round Kentucky marker and turn it into something that's uniquely Kentucky and would definitely stand out.

Thank you very much, Scott and hbelkins. That makes me feel a lot better, and it exposes the flaws of my mind when it tries to berate me about things.

If it is ever possible, hbelkins, I would in fact love to see what you could turn the Kentucky State Highway Shield design into!!  :-P  :nod:  :thumbsup:

Ah, yes, the good old times!  :D

The AARoads Shield Gallery and other things are indeed a wonderful luxury of the modern day.  :nod:

Also, that sounds incredibly cool that you drew the corresponding state route shield over the page numbers in your road atlas!!  :spin:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

empirestate

Quote from: slorydn1 on November 02, 2017, 10:47:23 PM

Wow, I honestly thought I was the only person in the world who did that! My Ohio and Florida shields looked like crap though, lol.

Most of us thought we were the only people in the world who did any of this!

My personal entry into the road scholar's world was discovering James Lin's website with pictures of each state's highway shield. It's still up: http://www.routemarkers.com/usa/ (although it used to have a user page URL within UC Berkely, if I recall correctly).

mgk920

I also really like my home state's state highway shield.  Very distinctive and it screams 'WISCONSIN!'.  It is similar in that regard to Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.

The only flaw in an otherwise excellent design for Minnesota is its color scheme - during my first couple of trips into the state when I was much younger I kept mistaking them for 'interstate' shields on overhead BGSes.

I also really like California and Michigan.  I'll give honorable mentions to Maryland and Tennessee (primary) for their state name usage, too.

Also, and although it is not a state route sign, Wisconsin's county shields are light years better than the MUTCD pentagons.  IMHO, the pentagons are so over the top 'busy' and the numbers/letters on them are so small and lost in the flotsam that I consider them to be borderline unreadable at speed.  Remember - 'KISS'!

In addition, a year or so ago I saw an image where Massachusetts used an adaptation of a Wisconsin county sign as an experiment(?) for a potential new state route sign - the exact same graphic proportions, fonts and type sizes, except that they had 'MA' where the word 'COUNTY' goes and numbers instead of letters for the route.  It looked interesting.

Mike

paulthemapguy

^Wisconsin's is pretty nice.  It definitely speaks to the state's specific character...being a cheese triangle and all.

My top five route markers are Minnesota, Colorado, Idaho, California, Kansas.
6-10 would probably include Wisconsin, Alaska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and New York.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.